U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Reputation: 1288

Advertisements

Very recently I was having a conversation with someone about throwing Dora the Explorer in the Rio Grande (Long story). The other person thought that would be interpreted as politically incorrect, since Dora is supposedly hispanic.

I DON'T CARE ! ! ! ! Seriously, how did America ever become so painfully thin skinned that we cannot take jokes anymore? Look at the situation that cartoonists are having with doing cartoons of Obama. After DECADES of political cartoons, they are suddenly at a standstill because blacks are so offended at every turn, by every nuance.

'How many (fill in the blank) does it take to (fill in the blank)' was standard for a middle schooler. Not any more, because it most likely will offend someone.

EVERYTHING is made more complicated because of political correctness, not just fun, but EVERYTHING.

I'm all for going back to being not-so-politically-correct. The only other thread I could find on this goes way, way back in the archives, and asks if political correctness actually CHANGES people's perspectives, or just masks them. I think it breeds contempt because of all the whining.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Reputation: 4539
PC doesn't change anyone's perspectives on anything. It simply makes everyone's communications less "real", if you will. We have to be so concerned with saying exactly the right thing that often we cannot say what we really mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
I am at a point in my life where if someone does not like what I say (I'm not "PC") - tough. Its not my problem - it is theirs.

I will say what I want - and mean what I say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Reputation: 1288
This is what I was thinking when I posted this thread:
I should explain why it doesn't bother me to use the Rio on the board. People have become so ridiculously PC these days that offense is taken at every turn imaginable. Nobody can laugh at themselves anymore because someone decided they shouldn't. It's time people start taking free speech back.

When I was a kid, we told jokes about Polish, Norwegian(me), blacks, hispanics, priests, short people, tall people,...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
PC doesn't change anyone's perspectives on anything. It simply makes everyone's communications less "real", if you will. We have to be so concerned with saying exactly the right thing that often we cannot say what we really mean.
So what's the point? I see none. It does't change how anybody feels about anything. I think it makes people more hateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I am at a point in my life where if someone does not like what I say (I'm not "PC") - tough. Its not my problem - it is theirs.

I will say what I want - and mean what I say
Me too ! ! ! I don't concern myself with political correctness, but it has a lot of people walking on eggshells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: San Francisco & Fort Worth & Now, Back to IRAQ
2,869 posts, read 3,083,152 times
Reputation: 5601
Freedom of speech can have tact... just because you CAN say anything you want, doesn't mean that you SHOULD say any old thing that pops into your head... there are people who do that without control, but that because they have some form of Autism... If you don't have that medical issue, then you should have better sense than to blurt out rudeness and divisive statements... IF we could ALL just first try to see the perspective of the other side, then take that into consideration and THEN add our two cents without making it personal... this would be a FAR BETTER COUNTRY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Reputation: 7980
Quote:
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-- Elanor Roosevelt

That sums up my position on political correctness. As Greatday said, if someone has a problem with something you say, that's their problem. Nobody should be so concerned with what someone will think about them that they can't be themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cme View Post
IF we could ALL just first try to see the perspective of the other side, then take that into consideration and THEN add our two cents without making it personal... this would be a FAR BETTER COUNTRY!!!
You lose. PC has been rampant for quite some time now, and the COUNTRY IS FAR WORSE OFF because of it. It's ridiculous to have to tip toe around in fear of stepping on toes and offending someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
-- Elanor Roosevelt

That sums up my position on political correctness. As Greatday said, if someone has a problem with something you say, that's their problem. Nobody should be so concerned with what someone will think about them that they can't be themselves.
Exactly. YOU choose to be offended, whether it is meant to be offending or not. It's thin skin that makes everybody so sensitive that they can't just let things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
PC doesn't change anyone's perspectives on anything. It simply makes everyone's communications less "real", if you will. We have to be so concerned with saying exactly the right thing that often we cannot say what we really mean.
I don't usually have that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top