U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Reputation: 3717

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The video games need to be restricted and parents need to be given more power to prevent their kids from accessing them.

His parents spoiling him may have actually contributed as well. In addition, his parents should have done a better job of teaching morals.

And I understand there are no simple answers. And I also understand that the Dutch do not understand children better than we do.
I appreciate your comments, "afo" (sorry, but your online name is a bit long...). My ref to "the Dutch" was in no way referencing you, but rather a particularly arrogant & combative poster here. You can see proof of his relentless on-line denegration of all things American on this page, and even when things are politely explained by one of us, this poster still persists in denegrating America as if it were a completely homogenous society of morons. He sees no improvements or value in our society, even though we constantly do, and thus learn from our mistakes, and we struggle, as do all societies on this planet (except Holland, apparently) with the problems our teenagers face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
and yet they bought the bullets at WalMart.
Actually, the gun and bullets were purchased by a girl who was over 21 yrs old. It's called a "straw purchase" and is a Federal felony offence. She was found out and thus charged. I, as a Federally-licenced firearms and ammo dealer, ALWAYS check any customers I don't personally know, and have them sign that they are not making a straw purchase.

By and large, given our HUGE civil population, the actual percentage numbers of such violations is micro-nano-teensy-tiny. But then, our ever-hungry media loves to over-dramatize everything, as all thinking Americans realize, but most of the world isn't smart enough to be skeptical about what they see on CNN TV. Too sad & too bad for them, eh?

PS: Oh, speaking of Dutchmen; BTW, Tricky; I'm still waiting for the statistical backup for your claims about American kids and how their parents have universally cast them all adrift amidst a sea of bad parenting. Frankly, from what I've seen (and my wife's a teacher) is that this is far from the case, and the incidence of such bad treatment is minor. Is theree lots of room for improvements in our educational system for the poor? You bet.

Are we moving forward? Absolutely. Does America also send cubic Yankee $$$ overseas to help developing countries with their impovershed educational systems? Well, Trick? Do we? (There's only one right answer here, but you'll either (a) not answer, or (b) get it wrong...)

And, of course, Mr. Obama is going to change "everything" for the better soon now, and America will then be perfect! He promises!

But I'm a patient man, TD. Others here, not knowing you as many of us now do, are probably more prone to dismissing your bombastic nonsense. But I? No way; I'm a man of considerable patience. I'll give you lots of room. And rope.

Last edited by rifleman; 03-23-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: typos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Norwood, MN
1,828 posts, read 3,279,635 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I had a weird afternoon.

I subleased my apartment waiting to get into a condo I bought. I rented a cheap 'extended stay' type hotel to live for 10 days.

First of all, I was SHOCKED at how many FAMILIES live in these places....all in one room. Imagine being a middle school kid sleeping in the same room as your parents.

Second of all, I was happy to see they had a loud (but nice) pool party going on when I got home from work today for these poor kids who are stuck growing up like this.

Then, as usually happens in these stressed out situations, a domestic violence situation took place at the pool. I heard the yelling....then I watched a young kid get stuck in the middle pleading with two parents to please stop all the embarrassment. Then, I watched the cops come to take the 'dad' away....as the child was screaming for them not to take 'her daddy away'.

I said all that to post this: ( and this REALLY did happen today....it isn't a story from TV)

Now, if this kid a couple of years from now ends up using drugs and breaking into my house in hopes of stealing an ipod or just anything so she has something......
am I supposed to blame her?

How can we possibly address this problem as a nation....and do we really care as much as we should? We can blame government or the schools or even the parents....but at the end of the day....where does our responsibility start? I'm so torn on this issue. I'm not a do-gooder....but today just made me cry.
I am sympathtic, but that is why the majority of couples should get vasectomies and tubal ligations, they are not able to raise children properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
The solution is really, really simple. In order to defend and protect our own lifestyle, we need to dedicate, as the cost of doing business, whatever small part of our obscene, opulant national bounty is necessary to assure that no child is ever raised in a household where he is deprived due to lack of money or security. Stop treating these people as scumbags, and stop calling them scumbags, and grant them the dignity that every human being deserves as a birthright, and obey the commandment to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.

What is it about that that is so hard to understand? Is it really that necessary for you to trade up your Escalade every two years instead of three, and perpetuate an underclass angry enough to key it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
IMO, it's the parents' problem. The domestic violence seems to be the worst part of this. Obviously that's the dad's fault.

And, I agree this kid has a FAR better chance than the average kid of using drugs and breaking into houses a few years down the road.

It's a messed up situation.
Just an aside: why is it the DAD'S fault automatically?

The kids are not necessarily going to grow up to be criminals. Many of them will want to do better than what their parents did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM
 
8,240 posts, read 14,896,860 times
Reputation: 3651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The solution is really, really simple. In order to defend and protect our own lifestyle, we need to dedicate, as the cost of doing business, whatever small part of our obscene, opulant national bounty is necessary to assure that no child is ever raised in a household where he is deprived due to lack of money or security. Stop treating these people as scumbags, and stop calling them scumbags, and grant them the dignity that every human being deserves as a birthright, and obey the commandment to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.

What is it about that that is so hard to understand? Is it really that necessary for you to trade up your Escalade every two years instead of three, and perpetuate an underclass angry enough to key it?
Isn't it better to demand that parents be responsible for the children they bring into the world? To demand that people be married when they have children? To stay married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Isn't it better to demand that parents be responsible for the children they bring into the world? To demand that people be married when they have children? To stay married?
I don't think it is reasonable to demand that people do anything that they are not capable of doing or can't afford to do. We already punish people plenty for being poor or incapable or disabled. What do you propose as the additional punishment to be added on for becoming parents without marriage, or ending their marital relationship when they have children? How about a $10,000 fine? That would help their kids, when they can't even afford to feed their kids in the first place. How do you 'demand' something, without any penalty for noncompliance? If a mother takes her kids to a battered woman's shelter, you 'demand' that she go back home?

You people just can't think of any way whatsoever to solve any of our social problems, except to line people up and punish them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
 
2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
Reputation: 1245
Good post. I agree with you. Children who grow up in seriously dysfunctional homes (with or without money), are victims of the bad choices that the adults in their lives make. Period. I think that if society spent more money on the "front end", we'd ultimately save money on the back end and have a more stable social society. There would be a return on our investment. Along with getting a marriage license, I think engaged couples should have to take mandatory classes to learn the basics of maintaining a respectful and to the best of their abilities, a harmonious household. Pregnant women and their partners should be required to take parenting classes. Not just teens - everyone. I can't count the times in my life that I have witnessed or heard of horrible acts, as you saw, between spouses, partners, families, etc. I've always felt that how our parents are, is like a lottery. Some of us are born into healthy, nourishing and stable homes and others of us had childhoods filled with tribulations and hardships; again, caused by the adults in our lives. Life is difficult enough. There are opportunities in this country for everyone, but when you grow up amongst poverty, abuse, drug and alcohol issues, mental illness, etc., sometimes getting through the days takes all of your energy and it's difficult to concentrate on one's future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 11:04 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
15,710 posts, read 22,761,533 times
Reputation: 17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Not if you're a hiring manager, or a business owner, or a school teacher....

Unfortunately, you can still be a racist and be employed in these professions, you just can't express them if you want to keep your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
It might be a good idea fo require evryone to take parenting classes, I don/t know, It might not be cost effective. How many people get married in this country evry year, 5 or ten million? What would be cost of compelling them all to take classes? A billion dollars a year? It would probably have a positive effect on only a few thousand kids---99% of all people would either already be competent parents, or would remain dysfunctional no matter how many classes you made them sit through. The money could be much better spent by just payihg a salary to all stay-at-home single or working-poor moms. Or giving a cash bonus of $5,000 to every man who gets a vasectomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Reputation: 49901
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I had a weird afternoon.

I subleased my apartment waiting to get into a condo I bought. I rented a cheap 'extended stay' type hotel to live for 10 days.

First of all, I was SHOCKED at how many FAMILIES live in these places....all in one room. Imagine being a middle school kid sleeping in the same room as your parents.

Second of all, I was happy to see they had a loud (but nice) pool party going on when I got home from work today for these poor kids who are stuck growing up like this.

Then, as usually happens in these stressed out situations, a domestic violence situation took place at the pool. I heard the yelling....then I watched a young kid get stuck in the middle pleading with two parents to please stop all the embarrassment. Then, I watched the cops come to take the 'dad' away....as the child was screaming for them not to take 'her daddy away'.

I said all that to post this: ( and this REALLY did happen today....it isn't a story from TV)

Now, if this kid a couple of years from now ends up using drugs and breaking into my house in hopes of stealing an ipod or just anything so she has something......
am I supposed to blame her?

How can we possibly address this problem as a nation....and do we really care as much as we should? We can blame government or the schools or even the parents....but at the end of the day....where does our responsibility start? I'm so torn on this issue. I'm not a do-gooder....but today just made me cry.
Don't worry about it. After they're done kiiling babies that almost come to term because of a mother's lifestyle choice, euthanasia as promoted by POTUS, denying/delaying/rationing healthcare for the elderly or terminally ill under universal healthcare, they'll come for the disabled and then they'll probably get around to the bad kids. Hopefully, when they eventually get around to you, they'll be someone left to get upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top