U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
Name calling directed to hurt someones feelings is wrong, however if done for satire it should be OK. We need to remember what most of us were taught at a very young age. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Harsh words have hurt me, more than any stick ever has. All that nice touchy feely stuff looks good on paper, but not so well in the real world. Being made fun of hurts in ways no stick can come close to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,041,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Don't you know it's not racist if you insult white males?
I really hope you're kidding.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I really hope you're kidding.
sure he is. Nobody knows the burden that is to be white. "It's a White thing"

Old 11-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
What if it was a derogatory remark against another group would NBC let this fly?
If it was a derogatory remark against another group, NBC would not let that fly. Why? According to political correctness, only whites can be racist. In the world of political correctness (including NBC), a racist minority is non-existent. Guess what? Minorities can be racist too. Yup, it's true. I said it. Political correctness is bull****. It's just a bunch of crap and we need to get rid of it. I won't stop ranting about political correctness until we get rid of it, which will probably never happen.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
sure he is. Nobody knows the burden that is to be white. "It's a White thing"
Huh?

Old 11-26-2009, 05:41 PM

the White Man's Burden, is a heavy load indeed.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:58 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,125,167 times
I believe in freedom of speech, so while it was probably disrespectful and purposely rude it does not offend me and other words do not offend me either. But than I don't know what cracker means and don't really care.

I do believe we have a double standard of behavior in the United States though. Whites are supposed to be considerate of other races, but it is "open season" on us. Is that their way of letting us know they think we are better than they are? What really offends me is someone getting fired for saying something many people say in the privacy of their homes. Yes, they should be called on it and made to quit doing it, but to take away a persons freedom of speech in my opinion is unconstitutional. And yes, there are a lot of programs I don't watch because I don't like the content.

We don't have name calling in our family; we are higher class than that. We don't spend a lot of time labeling people as conservative, liberal, radical, etc. Most of my friends are more complex than that. I know very few people that can be described as one label, so to do so is really telling a falsehood.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 PM

If I have a problem with a person of a different race than myself, that is one thing. But If I'm accused of disliking his entire race becasue of Our personal disagreement, I think that is utterly ridiculous. and a cry baby way to deal with an issue. Someone not liking me, does not indicate that person doesn't like all white People. Or does it?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
Oh please, people need to grow some thicker skin regardless of the amount or tint of the melanine they produce. How many times do I hear the phrase "off the Reservation" whether it be by FOX, MSNBC, or CNN! No one has the right not to be offended, so, measure the character of the person using the slur with a microscope and get over it!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:13 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Great minds talk about ideas.
Average minds talk about things.
Small minds talk about people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates