U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM

706 posts, read 3,355,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I just can't believe that this thread is still going, it started so long ago.

But yes there is a double standards and it's a full time job keeping up with what different people want to be called. Blacks are no longer black. Midgets are now "little people", hell even the garbage man isn't the garbage man anymore.

*runnin to look in the mirror*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM

706 posts, read 3,355,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskateguy View Post
the white man's burden, is a heavy load indeed.

:d

Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
I grew up in a black majority city and as far as the term 'Cracker' is concerned, if I was walking down the street and a group of black kids hailed me with, "Hey, white boy!" it meant they wanted to talk to me, maybe not respectfully, but it wasn't outright threatening.

If they yelled, "Hey, Cracker!", it meant I had better run as fast as I could because I was going to get jumped.

This indicates to me that the term 'Cracker' is a heavily loaded term that implies hostility and disrespect for my health and safety.

ABQConvict

Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,099,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Élan vital View Post
oh no, there is a clear difference. OP said a black person said it to a white person. Does the context, storyline, or comedy factor matter? It shouldn't. Caucasions should stop sitting idly by while such blatant racism is thrown in our faces.
Were you guys watching NYPD Blue years ago? The character Andy Sipowitz called several black guys n****r. Not one episode, but several. Did you sit idly by about this blatant racism?? I would assume you did.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
Naw, I'm not offended by any ethnic slur on TV. Why, you ask? Because IT'S ON TV, PEOPLE! Geez, it's entertainment--sort of, sometimes--written by a bunch of guys drinking too much Mt. Dew in little cubicles worried about losing their jobs in a cut-throat industry. I only take offense at name-calling if it's directed at me personally. And even then, I usually try to consider the source.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM

34,544 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Oh, get a grip. It's a comedy show. I don't think I need to get offended just because somebody decided this word should be offensive to white people. i don't even know what it means and I could not care less.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I've heard it before. Don't you know it's not racist if you insult white males?
I was suspended on this board for being offended by calling Italians Guidos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates