U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times

Advertisements

oh no, there is a clear difference. OP said a black person said it to a white person. Does the context, storyline, or comedy factor matter? It shouldn't. Caucasions should stop sitting idly by while such blatant racism is thrown in our faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It isn't any different than calling a black person a n-----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
oh no, there is a clear difference. OP said a black person said it to a white person. Does the context, storyline, or comedy factor matter? It shouldn't. Caucasions should stop sitting idly by while such blatant racism is thrown in our faces.
See...I agree in theory but I just don't care. It's just a word and there's more important things to worry about.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
If one is so sensitive about what is said on TV - don't EVER watch old episodes of Sanford and Son!!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:40 PM

656 posts, read 951,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If one is so sensitive about what is said on TV - don't EVER watch old episodes of Sanford and Son!!

MAN. I absolutely LOVED that show. Fred was always talking about the mexican guy that lived down the street. HILARIOUS!

But really, should it matter anymore? You can only be offended at something if you let it offend you. I'm black and my white friends say the n word around me. It doesn't bother me in the least because I don't let it. I don't go off if someone that's not black says the n word around me. It's a word; it depends on you how you take it.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,492,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
The words themselves are really nothing. It's all about the intent of the person who said the words.

George Carlin has said the "N-word" (I wish people would just say it) plenty of times in his act because it was relevant to his subject matter. He has plenty of black fans. The late comedian Bill Hicks has also used it. On the other hand, the way Michael Richards used it..well, it speaks for itself. To think that black people will get upset at a good joke is ridiculous. When they asked Paul Mooney what he though about Michael Richard's rant, he said "There was no humor in it. He could've made it funny. He didn't."
Exactly. Sarah Silverman(Jewish) has used it plenty of times.

John Lennon anyone? I'm not aware of any Black person who particularly dislikes John Lennon.

YouTube - John Lennon - Woman is the "N" of the World

Not to mention that I've seen it used in many different ways in movies. In one movie, a deadbeat son complains that he can't get a job because "N-----s and S----s have government quotas" or in another, a father in prison recalls how his old neighborhood changed when they "Allowed N-----s to move in". I see him every other day on Law & Order and still like his character.

The intent defines everything.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
The words themselves are really nothing. It's all about the intent of the person who said the words.

George Carlin has said the "N-word" (I wish people would just say it) plenty of times in his act because it was relevant to his subject matter. He has plenty of black fans. The late comedian Bill Hicks has also used it. On the other hand, the way Michael Richards used it..well, it speaks for itself. To think that black people will get upset at a good joke is ridiculous. When they asked Paul Mooney what he though about Michael Richard's rant, he said "There was no humor in it. He could've made it funny. He didn't."
Living in Vegas gave us loads of opportunities to see Dr. Carlin. And we did - many times.

One performance in particular stands out - he had just finished his "Dirty Words" segment - he stopped and said that, in his opinion, there are no such things as dirty words. Silence. "They are dirty only if you interpert them to be dirty"

Applause.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 PM

604 posts, read 1,050,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It isn't any different than calling a black person a n-----
It's VERY different.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,867,845 times
Not as long as it's a Ritz.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:36 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
....or All in the Family!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM

10,281 posts, read 9,970,295 times
Why should it offend me? I am a cracker. So what? I've tried to join the local chapter of Cracker Pride, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Actually I find 'cracker,' when used in this context, pretty funny. As far as the 'n-word,' I'd have to say that is quite different; there is a lot of baggage attached to that word.

Overall, in the whole big scheme of things, I think people these days tend to get all bent out of shape over the most ridiculous things. Talk isn't even worth a listener much of the time. Why be offended by it? We live in a babble-happy society and much of what is spoken on a day-to-day basis is inconsequential drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates