U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 AM

706 posts, read 3,356,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
That's a popular misconception; and shows how words can be assigned connotative meanings throughout the years. How many people when they hear the word "redneck" don't think of a fat guy driving a beat-up pickup with a beer in his hand and a shotgun in the rack? Yet 'rednecks' were actually farmers who worked all day in the sun...
SCGranny,

If a BLACK person calls you a "cracker", they're not referring to your habit of cracking peanuts or herding cattle with whips (another definition I saw here).

Consider yourself enlightened...*s*

Also, Redneck and fat guy driving a beat-up pickup with a beer in his hand may BE farm worker.

Derogatory terms/racial and ethnic slurs aren't always precise...*lol*

Last edited by DonnaReed; 03-23-2009 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Haha! Then I know for sure I' m not a cracker!!! But it is funny because even as a racial slur it makes the white guy out to be the master. funny, I would then think white-trash would be more offensive even though we are above that one too.
Redwine,
Somebody in another thread "white privilege" posted a clip with a comedian who points out that even racial slurs toward whites, such as "cracker" imply power.

"White trash" or "Poor White Trash" are the "ghetto" equivalents, I suppose for whites, as when someone hears "ghetto", most folks think/associate Black or Latino.

*s*

Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Yep! And I call them beaner, cracka, and slant eyes right back.

See, you are a prime example of letting a word bother the hell out of you. Someone calls me a n*gga or n*gger - I don't care because I'm comfortable in my own skin, comfortable in myself as a human being and I don't let simpleton words from the past define or bother me. I know who I am and if someone says n*gger to me (in a derogatory manner) I let it pass on by me like they haven't said anything. It doesn't bother me because I don't let. Me going off on a person for saying that to me only a.) solidifies their opinion of black people in their mind b.) waste my breath and c.) get's nothing done. Someone says it? So what? The world isn't going to stop spinning, tilt on the wrong axis or stop. It's a word: plain and simple. YOU choose to be offended by it.

Your white friends call you N*igger

and it's all good for you.

What do you do, grin?

WTF, am I missing something here.

Perhaps you should concern yourself with the meaning of the word : friend, friendship, respect

It ain't about going off on anybody. Why in the world would you hang out with white people who call you N*gger.

I'm gonna quit now before I say something harsh.

But don't sleep on the power of words...they're powerful indeed.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,160,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
SCGranny,

I wasn't familiar with that definition of "cracker" (cracking peanuts in GA)

I'm familiar with:

Cracker - slave owners (whip crackers)

There's also the definition of the cattle farmers in Florida using the whips to corral their herd. Thus the "crack" of the whips.

You'll find that whomever uses the term chooses to believe whatever definition suits their purpose.

And I too hadn't heard the Georgia version.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
It doesn't matter what it means, it is a word that don't describe white people.
The N word has some history attached to BUT I still think black people should laugh it off, not get mad. Because it would only be a "cracker" calling somebody a ****** in public...right?

Last edited by redwine; 03-23-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
SCGranny,

If a BLACK person calls you a "cracker", they're not referring to your habit of cracking peanuts or herding cattle with whips (another definition I saw here).

Consider yourself enlightened...*s*

Well in that case, I AM ONE BIG CRACKER!!!
YiHAAAA, I' m a CRACKER BABY!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM

10,341 posts, read 9,988,245 times
Well, we could redefine it to be the young folks who like to go around with pants so big the crack of their **s is showing. That definition would be relevant to the here-and-now. One could say, 'Don't look now, cracker, but your pants are falling off.'

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-23-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 04:24 PM

30 posts, read 96,959 times
Heres the deal: white people have dominated essentially every aspect of the progression of civilization since AD. Virtually every invention, political progression, trade progression, eventually leading to economic progression, is due to, and enjoyed by, white people.

To this day, entire African villages are burning their children alive because they believe they are possessed by demons. Any capable intellects or muscular developments were offset when their own African brothers sold the superior minds/bodies to whites, thus literally crippling the higher capacities of an entire continent.

You've got to sort of nuance your way into figuring out the dominance and brutality of the various races as per achievement in a traditional western education, but I think that's a fair cliff notes version.

And so an African American, or an African more broadly, calling me a "cracker," it's sort of the intellectual equivalent of saying "you're part of the race that dominated the world, and largely created the world today." The converse, well....it's just kind of a dick move; it hurts worse for obvious reasons. So, in my judgment, while no double standard is fair per say, I can understand why one group gets more offended.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, we could redefine it to be the young folks who like to go around with pants so big the crack of their **s is showing. That definition would be relevant to the here-and-now. One could say, 'Don't look now, cracker, but your pants are falling off.'
Say no to crack

Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
It doesn't matter what it means, it is a word that don't describe white people.
The N word has some history attached to BUT I still think black people should laugh it off, not get mad. Because it would only be a "cracker" calling somebody a ****** in public...right?
*lol*

Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit with Richard Pryor exchanging racial slurs (can't remember with whom, may have been John Belushi)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates