U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,674,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
For all you people out there who are "into" these kinds of debates why don't you all do some history research and read about how people pulled together as a nation during the Great Depression, worked as one people to survive...then see how unimportant this kind of a question really is!
Yeah, that was a wonderful time for everyone getting along.... as long as de black foke knew their place and didn't have any uppity aspirations to eat in restaurants with whites, go to school with them, drink from the same drinking fountains, and, in the case of my hometown, be within the city limits after sunset.

Yep, wonderful times they were. Warms the cockles of my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
30 Rock on thursday an african american character calls a white character a "cracker". Anyone offended by this? What if it was a derogatory remark against another group would NBC let this fly?
OK... I'm gonna give away my age here... Have you ever watched "All In The Family" and/or "The Jefferson's"... George Jefferson (Sherman Hemsley) used that term many times.. as did Archie Bunker (Carroll O'conner) in "All In The Family" did hundreds of times with many nationalities.. When racial slurs are used by characters such as these, it's only representing the ignorance of the character.. I think that's the real message....

What bother's me are the groups/people who protest over something that is not what they're making it out to be.. Meaning, they're making mountains out of mo-hills.. When they put Dog, the Bounty Hunter (Dwayne Chapman) on trial in the media... #1, it was a private conversation... there should have been something done to his son that recorded it & then sold it for money to the media.. Then the media should have been punished for airing a private conversation! The people in the black community that wanted Dog off TV, never to work again in show business... Are more than likely guilty of the same offense and then some.. I have no doubt... Especially for Mr. Jesse Jackson... Those black leaders are nothing but publicity whores..

Last edited by plittle1203; 11-18-2009 at 04:20 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It isn't any different than calling a black person a n-----
Then how come I an not offended if someone calls me a 'cracker'? People have every right to call me whatever they want, as long as it is accurate, and in this case it is---I am a cracker. I'm also, to some people, a Gringo, an Ajnabi, a Farang, a Pommy, a Yank, all sorts of things. I've even been called a Christian, and even officially called one on my residence card, to which I took only mild offense because I understood that it meant "neither Muslim nor Jew and all else are the same".

The Atlanta baseball team in the minor league Southern Association called itself the "Atlanta Crackers" from 1895 to 1965. Hank Aaron's brother Tommie Aaron was the 1965 first-baseman for the Atlanta Crackers.

There were also loosely organized professional leagues before 1950 called the Negro Leagues, and during several seasons in the 20s and 30s, there was an Atlanta team in the Negro Leagues. They called themselves the Atlanta Black Crackers. Rather like a team today calling itself the Wiggers.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-18-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 AM

2,637 posts, read 3,883,540 times
As long as people have the "Race card" as a ace in the whole, relations have no room for improvement. It's a stacked deck. I wish when people called me names, I could blame it on my race. But the truth is, it's on me, not my race.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,098,930 times
Pryor made the modern comedy where its advanatgeous to use outrageous langauge to describe groups. From there its ben no stopping it whether you like it or not with the mney being made.That is the bottomline;there is money to be made.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 PM

744 posts, read 1,049,339 times
Was the word actually cracka because from all my sensitivity training I learned it is when the word ends in an "er" sound that is when it is really bad.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 3,883,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yeah, that was a wonderful time for everyone getting along.... as long as de black foke knew their place and didn't have any uppity aspirations to eat in restaurants with whites, go to school with them, drink from the same drinking fountains, and, in the case of my hometown, be within the city limits after sunset.

Yep, wonderful times they were. Warms the cockles of my heart.
I remember those days. They were more than 50 years ago. One would think they were yesterday. We now have a Black President, but some things can not be forgotten, nor should they. --but neither can we live in the past, and expect a better future. Sometimes we just have to let the anger go. No one today, had anything to do with those bad times.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 AM

3,825 posts, read 6,185,666 times
There was a animated show called The Goode Family who struggled to be politically correct. In one episode the wife character, Helen, became obsessed about what blacks are currently calling themselves. This episode was one of the few that I thought was hilarious, (the dog, Che, was the best character). I find it interesting that a group of people don't like the word that best describes them, Negro, meaning black in Spanish and Portuguese. So don't say Negro, say black, because they mean the same but blacks take exception to being called Negro which means black anyway. Right. On the other side it is perfectly alright for blacks to call other races what they will. White people are sometimes called crackers which really refers to southern whites and I am sure you know what other whites are called. Most white people are not offended by name calling because they are mature enough to know what most grammar school kids know, "sticks and stone may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

Old 11-21-2009, 05:27 AM

3,408 posts, read 3,463,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
There was a animated show called The Goode Family who struggled to be politically correct. In one episode the wife character, Helen, became obsessed about what blacks are currently calling themselves. This episode was one of the few that I thought was hilarious, (the dog, Che, was the best character). I find it interesting that a group of people don't like the word that best describes them, Negro, meaning black in Spanish and Portuguese. So don't say Negro, say black, because they mean the same but blacks take exception to being called Negro which means black anyway. Right. On the other side it is perfectly alright for blacks to call other races what they will. White people are sometimes called crackers which really refers to southern whites and I am sure you know what other whites are called. Most white people are not offended by name calling because they are mature enough to know what most grammar school kids know, "sticks and stone may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

The problem isnt that the word negro means black it is how the term came about being used to describe black people. Take a look at the origin, and maybe you will better understand.....

The word negro is Spanish for black. The Spanish language comes from Latin, which has its origins in Classical Greek. The word negro, in Greek, is derived from the root word necro, meaning dead. What was once referred to as a physical condition is now regarded as an appropriate state of mind for millions of Africans.

Historically when the Greeks first traveled to Africa 2,500 years ago, the Egyptian civilization was already ancient. The Great Pyramid was over 3,000 years old and the sphinx was even older. Writing, science, medicine and religion were already a part of the civilization and had reached their zenith. The Greeks came to Africa as students to sit at the feet of the masters, and to discover what Africans already knew. In any student / teacher relationship the teacher can only teach as much as the student is capable of understanding.

Egyptians, like other Africans, understood that life existed beyond the grave. Ancestral worship is a way of acknowledging the lives of the people who have come before you, and their ability to offer guidance and direction to the living. Temples were designed as places where the ancestors could be honored and holidays (Holy Days) where the ancestors could be honored, and holidays (Holy Days) were the days designated to do so.

The Egyptians had hundreds of temples and hundreds of Holy Days to worship their ancestors. The Greeks thought the Africans had a preoccupation with death. The act of ancestral worship became known as necromancy or communication with the dead. The root word necro means dead. Another word for necromancy is magic - that Old Black Magic which was practiced in Ancient Africa. When the Greeks returned to Europe, they took their distorted beliefs with them and the word negro evolved out of this great misunderstanding.

Less than 300 years after the first Greeks came to Egypt as students, their descendants returned as conquerors. They destroyed the cities, temples and libraries of the Egyptians and claimed African knowledge as their own.

Not only was the African legacy stolen, but also the wholesale theft of African people soon followed. With the birth of the slave trade, it became necessary to dehumanize Africans and devalue their historical worth as a people in order to ensure their value as slaves.

So there you have it, the negro - a race of dead people with a dead history and no hope for resurrection as long as they remained ignorant of their past. This was a triple death - the death of the mind, body, and spirit of the African people.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:35 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,075,129 times
Reverse racism. Its okay to call a white person a cracker, but if a white person was to call a black person a monkey or some other name oh there would be an uproar. This country is screwed up when it comes to racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates