Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:41 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
....or All in the Family!
And they would've absolutely hated Mr. Jefferson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,234 times
I don't ever use racial slurs because they can offend and hurt ppl. However if someone chooses to its their right.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
DH is a 'cracker', a term for people born in the state of Georgia - so called because of their habit of 'cracking' peanuts. The term has become a politically incorrect yet generally acceptable derogatory term for any white person, just as has 'redneck' - a reference to farmers who worked for a living in the sun all day. Both infer that the person is illiterate, uneducated, and not caught up in the white-collar, big city world. It is perfectly acceptable in today's society to insult others because of where they are from, their race, creed, or color... as long as you are in the 'right' crowd. Nothing that happens on TV suprises me any more.

BTW, I am a "Geech", short for "Geechee", a mud-running, slow-talking, ignorant rice-and-cotton picker. Being a "cracker" would probably be a step up in the current idiomatic, casually insulting, and lighthearted mindless chatter that passes for entertainment. Insulted? No. Nothing anyone does or says insults me anymore. It's pointless, and I just consider the source. If people of any race or color want to display their inability to converse without insulting or casting aspersions on others, why bother trying to resent, or stop them from showing exactly who and what they are? It just shows not only their intelligence and educational levels, but those of the people who watch it and consider it as entertainment. Yawn. Bored now. As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid." Why bother trying?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
30 Rock on thursday an african american character calls a white character a "cracker". Anyone offended by this? What if it was a derogatory remark against another group would NBC let this fly?
Oh please rise above a little name calling. Good grief are you still in grade school. Grow up!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
MAN. I absolutely LOVED that show. Fred was always talking about the mexican guy that lived down the street. HILARIOUS!

But really, should it matter anymore? You can only be offended at something if you let it offend you. I'm black and my white friends say the n word around me. It doesn't bother me in the least because I don't let it. I don't go off if someone that's not black says the n word around me. It's a word; it depends on you how you take it.

Your white friends say N*igger around you?

Damn!

White friends and/or associates wouldn't be cozy and comfy using that word around me...unless they're talking about somebody else who said it.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
DH is a 'cracker', a term for people born in the state of Georgia - so called because of their habit of 'cracking' peanuts. The term has become a politically incorrect yet generally acceptable derogatory term for any white person, just as has 'redneck' - a reference to farmers who worked for a living in the sun all day. Both infer that the person is illiterate, uneducated, and not caught up in the white-collar, big city world. It is perfectly acceptable in today's society to insult others because of where they are from, their race, creed, or color... as long as you are in the 'right' crowd. Nothing that happens on TV suprises me any more.

BTW, I am a "Geech", short for "Geechee", a mud-running, slow-talking, ignorant rice-and-cotton picker. Being a "cracker" would probably be a step up in the current idiomatic, casually insulting, and lighthearted mindless chatter that passes for entertainment. Insulted? No. Nothing anyone does or says insults me anymore. It's pointless, and I just consider the source. If people of any race or color want to display their inability to converse without insulting or casting aspersions on others, why bother trying to resent, or stop them from showing exactly who and what they are? It just shows not only their intelligence and educational levels, but those of the people who watch it and consider it as entertainment. Yawn. Bored now. As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid." Why bother trying?

SCGranny,

I wasn't familiar with that definition of "cracker" (cracking peanuts in GA)

I'm familiar with:

Cracker - slave owners (whip crackers)

Last edited by DonnaReed; 03-22-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Cracker - slave owners (whip crackers)
Yipes. I wasn't familiar with that one. I'm officially no longer a cracker.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
Of course it was racist. But, haven't you heard...it's okay to slam white people. Just imagine the uproar if a white character had called Tracy's son the "N word." This is the world we've created for ourselves because of political correctness.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,096,556 times
Quote:
What if it was a derogatory remark against another group would NBC let this fly?
No, however a#$ and B&#ch and son of a B*#ch is everyday lang on cable and reg tv which is upsurd as it is don't look for tv to all of a sudden get morals.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toady17 View Post
Of course it was racist. But, haven't you heard...it's okay to slam white people. Just imagine the uproar if a white character had called Tracy's son the "N word." This is the world we've created for ourselves because of political correctness.
Again, I just am not seeing an uproar about someone using the N word on television in a non-derisive, non-malicious context. Of course it might be over the top for the sensibilities of ordinary broadcast viewers, but as far as cable and premium goes, it's small beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates