U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 05:06 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First off, I personally do not feel this is a "dirt bag" subject.

And, it was not suggested, as you asserted, that "everyone in Europe" does this.

The issue however is, why do we prosecute CONSENTING ADULTS for a sexual relationship merely because they are closely related?

Seriously, with one possible exception, what harm is there in these types of relationships?
it is difficult for me to take such a question seriously, have you ever spoken to a counseler about the irreversable damage caused by incest and the countless number of people in therapy and 12 step because of it.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:10 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I can see other problems with this if the laws ever laxed, and that involves children. I can also see more babies from it. And I am so anti-population growth it isn't funny.
Children born of such relationships can be problematic. But, as in the case I described, that did not, nor could not, ever happen.

Remember also there are relationships between brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, cousins etc. There are even same sex relationships that I'm aware of

Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it is difficult for me to take such a question seriously, have you ever spoken to a counseler about the irreversable damage caused by incest and the countless number of people in therapy and 12 step because of it.
Yes. My wife is a shrink - and has counseled with a number of such relationships.

Again, we are talking adults (chronologically) - with full knowledge as to what they are doing.

Also, as a reminder - the situation / example I provided early on is a couple that we actually see regularly - and have, for a number of years.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:17 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,142,113 times
Quote:
United States law would prevail.
I certaily hope that they are your clients on a totally different issue. In any case, wouldn't you as a lawyer be somehow abetting a crime by having the knowledge that the daughter has applied for a name change to circumvent the law?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Quote:
Yes. My wife is a shrink - and has counseled with a number of such relationships.

Again, we are talking adults (chronologically) - with full knowledge as to what they are doing.

Also, as a reminder - the situation / example I provided early on is a couple that we actually see regularly - and have, for a number of years.
i do not believe a mental health professional would condone promote and encourage incest the liability would be enormous. i also question the legality issues that have been brought up in this thread. i am going to load your response of "my wife is a counseler and has counseled incest ??? meaning everything is ok?????she supports incest???" with "several countries in europe dont prosecute, meaning they are ok with incest???"

Old 03-22-2009, 05:22 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Quote:
i do not believe a mental health professional would condone promote and encourage incest the liability would be enormous. i also question the legality issues that have been brought up in this thread.
This is my thought as well. Is it legal for you to be discussing patients (in your wife's case) or clients (in your case) on the Internet.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I certaily hope that they are your clients on a totally different issue. In any case, wouldn't you as a lawyer be somehow abetting a crime by having the knowledge that the daughter has applied for a name change to circumvent the law?
Changing ones name is legal. And, then there is the Attorney Client privilege thing ....

Some years ago, there was an Attorney in Houston who found out that his client had committed a murder - a Capital Crime, punishable by death, in Texas. After debating for a very long time - he left .... "hints" in various places in hopes of the Houston PD getting the info and arresting this woman (accused of murdering her husband). And, they did.

It was also found out what the Attorney had done - which was a violation of the Attorney Client privilege - and he was disbarred - for life.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
i do not believe a mental health professional would condone promote and encourage incest the liability would be enormous. i also question the legality issues that have been brought up in this thread.
The Mental Health Professionals we know who counsel with their patients on this issue - do not condone nor condemn - that is not their place.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is my thought as well. Is it legal for you to be discussing a patient on the Internet?
Do you know who the patient is?

Do you know who my client is?

No, speaking is broad, general terms is not a violation of law nor ethics.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
i do not believe a mental health professional would condone promote and encourage incest the liability would be enormous. i also question the legality issues that have been brought up in this thread. i am going to load your response of "my wife is a counseler and has counseled incest ??? meaning everything is ok?????she supports incest???" with "several countries in europe dont prosecute, meaning they are ok with incest???"
The countries specifically who do not prosecute incest in Europe are Spain, France and Portugal. Romania is, evidently going to take the same tact.

My question, with this thread is, should the United States continue to prosecute incest between consenting adults or, should we consider following the lead of these nations and drop such prosecutions?

And, I did not say my wife (as a Physican) condones or condemns. Like I noted before, that is not the Doctors job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.