U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:38 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well for one thing - it's murder with the assisted suicide.

As for incest - it's, well - SEX.

Don't know about you but, I see a BIG difference.

The question still is there: Should we Criminally Prosecute consenting adults for incest - for, HAVING SEX?
Okay, then why do we prosecute prostitution and pandering? Isn't that consensual sex between two adults? That's having sex, isn't it?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay, then why do we prosecute prostitution and pandering? Isn't that consensual sex between two adults? That's having sex, isn't it?
And, in some states and locales, prostitution is legal -

Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM

9,163 posts, read 16,510,896 times
Quote:
And, I can appreciate your feelings. But, that is not the question posed here:

The question posed is, should we, as a nation, criminally prosecute incest involving CONSENTING ADULTS?

I guess that would be up to the county or district attorney, right? I don't know much about criminal law, but I think if I were a district attorney I'd prefer to decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not to prosecute. (Can they do that?)

If I could decide, I think I'd prosecute someone in most cases. If it was a guy with his 17 or 18-year-old daughter, I'd be inclined to prosecute only the father. If it was a gift from the 83-year-old daughter to her 100-year-old father, I'd give them each a pat on the back. Somewhere between those two scenarios, I'd have to give it some thought and weigh the facts, but it would be pretty close to the old couple where I'd be throwing the book at them.

If you're asking if the law should be changed, I'd vote no. I can't say exactly why I feel so strongly about it, but the idea of parent-child sexual relationships at ANY age just repulses me. I have a daughter, and I can't bring myself to imagine such a relationship. I'm slightly sick to my stomach just from writing this.

I'd write more, but I've gotta go barf.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I guess that would be up to the county or district attorney, right? I don't know much about criminal law, but I think if I were a district attorney I'd prefer to decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not to prosecute. (Can they do that?)
Usually no, they cannot do that. It is called "selective prosecution" or "selective enforcement".

Quote:
If you're asking if the law should be changed, I'd vote no. I can't say exactly why I feel so strongly about it, but the idea of parent-child sexual relationships at ANY age just repulses me. I have a daughter, and I can't bring myself to imagine such a relationship. I'm slightly sick to my stomach just from writing this.
Thank you for your response and your candor.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,633,822 times
what about family members not knowing they were related until afterward and still decided to be together? I heard a few stories like that.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:54 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times
Consensual. Victimless. Should not be illegal.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
what about family members not knowing they were related until afterward and still decided to be together? I heard a few stories like that.
Yeah - that happens more often than people realize.

Legally, the word INTENT becomes HUGH here. If there was no intent to violate the law (they did not know they were related) - in that case, I have never found a prosecution.

As for their marital state - it is voided. They become "unmarried" - similar to an annulment. It does get complicated all the more if there were any children of the marriage.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM

9,163 posts, read 16,510,896 times
Thinking about it, I think by not prosecuting you're condoning it, and if it gets to the point where it's condoned by the general public, then it's a short jump to condoning sex with a father and his 15-year-old daughter. We don't need that.

You mentioned a few posts up that you see a big difference between sex and murder. I do too, but I think in some cases, such as your typical incest, murder would be the kinder crime. A verse from a poem by my late wife says it all:

And as for me, I'm stronger now,
And someday soon, I will forgive
The man who killed my sweet young soul
And then, in cruelty, let me live.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
Thinking about it, I think by not prosecuting you're condoning it, and if it gets to the point where it's condoned by the general public
It will NEVER get to the point where it is condoned by the general public. If it EVER does, I hope to God I am dead then.

I don't think the general public would ever accept removing parent/child incest laws from the books.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
Quote:
No backpedaling whatsoever.

And, I did not say anything about "legalizing" incest - did I? Let me help - no, I did not.

I asked, and will ask once more, should we continue to CRIMINALLY PROSECUTE consenting adults for incest - for having sex?

And, I will politely ask you not to try to mischaracterize / misrepresent what I have said. Thanks.
how have i misrepresented you. i dont follow you at all. if it is currently illegal and you are advocating to not criminally prosecute is this not making the act legal?
i know of no country or medical professional that condons incest.
i do not understand your advocacy for the repeal of the law.
again i do not believe that you are married to a "shrink" that supports your advocate position or encourages you to discuss in any way her cases on CDF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates