U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,646,595 times
Reputation: 1661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I keep pointing out that we have sent millions of condoms to Africa and there is still an epidemic. All you people are bashing the pope, but it turns out he's right and you're wrong. Condoms AREN'T working there.
Just handing them out won't work unless the people are educated about the disease and the ways to prevent it.

But yes, I am also bashing the pope for putting the church's arcahic stance on birth control, which is what this is all about, over people lives. What you will get besides dead people, are also BABIES being born with AIDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,465,565 times
Reputation: 1288
In a perfect world, people wouldn't have sex until they were married. In a perfect world there wouldn't be AIDS. In a perfect world, the pope would be able to suggest to Africa that if you just don't have sex, you wouldn't spread AIDS.

This isn't a perfect world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,041,146 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I completely agree.

On the issue of it being a crime for a person with AIDS to knowingly infect or attempt to infect another, I believe there is some law to that effect here in Australia. I'll see if I can find reference to the case.
As if it matters what they do in that backwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,041,146 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Just handing them out won't work unless the people are educated about the disease and the ways to prevent it.

But yes, I am also bashing the pope for putting the church's arcahic stance on birth control, which is what this is all about, over people lives. What you will get besides dead people, are also BABIES being born with AIDS.
So..you're bashing the pope because he has been right about condoms, and has advocated a way of living which will definitely put a halt to the spread of AIDS?

I think you liberals are the ones who should be berated. People are dying because the stuff YOU want them to do isn't working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
 
9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
As if it matters what they do in that backwater.
thump! thump!

The Pope doesn't seem to agree with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
So..you're bashing the pope because he has been right about condoms, and has advocated a way of living which will definitely put a halt to the spread of AIDS?

I think you liberals are the ones who should be berated. People are dying because the stuff YOU want them to do isn't working.
Ideally, they wouldn't be having sex. But condoms would help the problem significantly.

Funny how you call us all liberal...including me. Because I certainly am not one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,464 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
So..you're bashing the pope because he has been right about condoms, and has advocated a way of living which will definitely put a halt to the spread of AIDS?

I think you liberals are the ones who should be berated. People are dying because the stuff YOU want them to do isn't working.
When you say he has been right about condoms what do you mean? That because some people do not use them and still spread the disease that we should stop giving them out altogether? We should stop giving out condoms and sex education because he thinks it promotes sex? What is the pope's solution again, oh ya Celibacy?!? Are you kidding me . Thats like saying I know how to stop drug abuse, stop doing drugs! Lets disband all the drug abuse education that goes on because it promotes drug use too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Reputation: 4539
Education is the key. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 1,228,394 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
When you say he has been right about condoms what do you mean? That because some people do not use them and still spread the disease that we should stop giving them out altogether? We should stop giving out condoms and sex education because he thinks it promotes sex? What is the pope's solution again, oh ya Celibacy?!? Are you kidding me . Thats like saying I know how to stop drug abuse, stop doing drugs! Lets disband all the drug abuse education that goes on because it promotes drug use too.
Read. Learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM
 
550 posts, read 1,070,891 times
Reputation: 336
This is gonna sound cruel but the way i see it there are 2 ways of ending the STD problem...
It will cost a great deal of lives but it might just be worth it;
step 1: The USA and the european union along with the richer asian countries save up ALOT of money.
step 2: Complete stop in migration in all directions, people who breaks it gets shot.
step 3: Take a landmass such as madagaskar, strip it from modern technology and force all inhabitants to africa/nearby landmass
step 4: Massive STD screening of all human beings, people get branded for being STD free/curable, and for each Hiv/AIDS. Curable STDs get treated, others do not.
Step 5: along with step 4 all who are not free from STDs /have been cured gets moved to the chosen landmass, which will be heavily guarded at sea and considered a no-fly zone.
Step 6: keep the survailence up for a couple of hundred years or so, so that individuals who has developed imunity to for the STDs can be picked out to make a cure/vaccine. (since it will be carried by a singled out group of people for generations there should sooner or later be people with immunities found)

The alternative step 5: only take the HIV/AIDS positive there first and eliminate them.

The alternative step 5 would of course be the second most extensive holocaust after the catholic witchhunts and murders of "infidels". But in difference to all previous mass murders this would, seen in a perspective of 5 generations save more human years of living than it takes. And I think we can quite safely say that the human race is gonna live far longer than 5 generations ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top