U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,907 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
When you say he has been right about condoms what do you mean? That because some people do not use them and still spread the disease that we should stop giving them out altogether? We should stop giving out condoms and sex education because he thinks it promotes sex? What is the pope's solution again, oh ya Celibacy?!? Are you kidding me . Thats like saying I know how to stop drug abuse, stop doing drugs! Lets disband all the drug abuse education that goes on because it promotes drug use too.
If you notice, the pope called for monogamy, not celibacy. I realize that concept is pretty foreign to liberals.

Funny, we've been buying condoms for these people since the 80s, and there is still supposedly an AIDS epidemic. So by your reckoning, it's like saying I know how to stop drug abuse, stop using drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,907 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Education is the key. Period.
Haven't we been "educating" them for 25 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,774,961 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
If you notice, the pope called for monogamy, not celibacy. I realize that concept is pretty foreign to liberals.

Funny, we've been buying condoms for these people since the 80s, and there is still supposedly an AIDS epidemic. So by your reckoning, it's like saying I know how to stop drug abuse, stop using drugs.
We have to teach them how to use the condoms and about the importance of using condoms. We should also teach them to ideally not have sex at all. EDUCATION is the key....providing condoms is, however, necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,707,090 times
Reputation: 2395
Catholics were supposed to NOT use protection so that they could "be fruitful and multiply and replinish the earth". ok, mission complete. The Earth's population is now over 6 billion. Isn't it time to rescind that order?

But what can you do? Christianity isn't exactly known for being adaptable to the zeigiest (or logic either, for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,229,606 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
If you notice, the pope called for monogamy, not celibacy. I realize that concept is pretty foreign to liberals.

Funny, we've been buying condoms for these people since the 80s, and there is still supposedly an AIDS epidemic. So by your reckoning, it's like saying I know how to stop drug abuse, stop using drugs.
Supposedly!?! REALLY? Are you saying you do not think its really an epidemic?

"Average life expectancy in Sub-Saharan Africa is now 47 years, when it could have been 62 without AIDS." -http://www.avert.org/aafrica.htm

And I don't get your last point, are you agreeing with me in claiming that the Pope's idea is not going to do any good or are you trying to use my words against me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,907 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Supposedly!?! REALLY? Are you saying you do not think its really an epidemic?

"Average life expectancy in Sub-Saharan Africa is now 47 years, when it could have been 62 without AIDS." -http://www.avert.org/aafrica.htm

And I don't get your last point, are you agreeing with me in claiming that the Pope's idea is not going to do any good or are you trying to use my words against me??
You ridiculed celibacy as an ineffective tool, while condom distribution has apparently been ineffective for 25 years. So I guess the pope's right. Condoms aren't stopping this AIDS epidemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,774,961 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
You ridiculed celibacy as an ineffective tool, while condom distribution has apparently been ineffective for 25 years. So I guess the pope's right. Condoms aren't stopping this AIDS epidemic.
Which is why we need to distribute condoms AND baby formula AND educate them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,907 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Which is why we need to distribute condoms AND educate them
We've been doing this for 25 years. It isn't working. Can't you see that? Those people aren't listening. Isn't this your same criticism of an abstinence position (which is not what the pope advocated, BTW).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,229,606 times
Reputation: 558
You guys are all right, lets leave it to the Church to fix AIDS. Lets withdraw all funding for AIDS education and condoms. Let the Pope with his mighty words tell them what they need to do, then we can make getting AIDS a sin. And all the misery associated with it is GOD's wrath. And the only way to not die from AIDS is to come to Church every Sunday to listen to one reason or another why you are or are not going to hell and then give them some money. Good luck Christianity, its all on you now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,907 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
You guys are all right, lets leave it to the Church to fix AIDS. Lets withdraw all funding for AIDS education and condoms. Let the Pope with his mighty words tell them what they need to do, then we can make getting AIDS a sin. And all the misery associated with it is GOD's wrath. And the only way to not die from AIDS is to come to Church every Sunday to listen to one reason or another why you are or are not going to hell and then give them some money. Good luck Christianity, its all on you now!
Know what? Following the word of God and the Catholic Church would stop AIDS in its tracks. African men would see the need for monogamy, and stop being as promiscuous as tomcats. Glad we agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top