U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times
Reputation: 10450

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Know what? Following the word of God and the Catholic Church would stop AIDS in its tracks. African men would see the need for monogamy, and stop being as promiscuous as tomcats. Glad we agree!
There's nothing quite like agreement, is there? The trifling problem that remains to be solved is getting all those millions of African men to start following the Catholic Church. Which, since few of them do, is why the Pope's comment was so ridiculous from the get-go. He's making pronouncements over regions where he has no authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,670 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
There's nothing quite like agreement, is there? The trifling problem that remains to be solved is getting all those millions of African men to start following the Catholic Church. Which, since few of them do, is why the Pope's comment was so ridiculous from the get-go. He's making pronouncements over regions where he has no authority.
What works, works. No matter what religion you are, natural consequences for specific behaviors exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,229,066 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Know what? Following the word of God and the Catholic Church would stop AIDS in its tracks. African men would see the need for monogamy, and stop being as promiscuous as tomcats. Glad we agree!
right but how is telling them to be good catholics any different from the people already there telling them not to be promiscuous, to be monogamous, and telling them the safest thing is to be celibate?? Plus these people are distributing condoms so that those who cannot be celibate are safer and less likely to spread the disease, what happens if you take away condoms?? Last time I checked a condom was a sin. you're solution is to do exactly whats already going on and just take away the condoms, thats brilliant! No way could that possibly cause the disease to spread even more, no way at all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 PM
 
24,738 posts, read 26,803,263 times
Reputation: 22723
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So AIDS is people's punishment for having sex out of marriage?
No, it isn't God's punishment. But it is often a natural consequence of having indiscriminate sex.

I'm not saying people shouldn't use condoms. I don't agree with the Catholic Church's exteme position.

However, I do think birth control has made people much less careful about who they go to bed with.

I know I used to be that way (as in...hey as long as no one gets pregnant or gets a disease, everything's a-ok!!). It took me a while to learn....but I found out there's no condom to protect against a broken heart...which is what lots of indiscriminate sex eventually brings.

There is more birth control than ever today....yet we have a 40% out of wedlock birth rate and a very high % of unplanned pregnancies in the US. 40 years ago, when modern birth control was less widely available, the out of wedlock birth rate was much lower, and people were more careful about who they slept with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,652,791 times
Reputation: 1661
Default The Pill was around in the 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
No, it isn't God's punishment. But it is often a natural consequence of having indiscriminate sex.

I'm not saying people shouldn't use condoms. I don't agree with the Catholic Church's exteme position.

However, I do think birth control has made people much less careful about who they go to bed with.

I know I used to be that way (as in...hey as long as no one gets pregnant or gets a disease, everything's a-ok!!). It took me a while to learn....but I found out there's no condom to protect against a broken heart...which is what lots of indiscriminate sex eventually brings.

There is more birth control than ever today....yet we have a 40% out of wedlock birth rate and a very high % of unplanned pregnancies in the US. 40 years ago, when modern birth control was less widely available, the out of wedlock birth rate was much lower, and people were more careful about who they slept with.
Why do you think they called it the Swinging Sixties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,221 posts, read 10,950,653 times
Reputation: 4022
Well can we say I'm not a fan of this position. It is irresponsible and does not provide the leadership needed to steer a continent through a crisis.
His position is no different than any pope. perhaps this is but one issue causing so many catholics to not practice..
It is not unholy to use condoms, it is to not protect those that don't know any better, That is some bad Karma if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
Reputation: 24548
OP - I read the title of this thread and had a vision of the Pope writing his message on a condom. Consider it stretching the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,670 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
right but how is telling them to be good catholics any different from the people already there telling them not to be promiscuous, to be monogamous, and telling them the safest thing is to be celibate?? Plus these people are distributing condoms so that those who cannot be celibate are safer and less likely to spread the disease, what happens if you take away condoms?? Last time I checked a condom was a sin. you're solution is to do exactly whats already going on and just take away the condoms, thats brilliant! No way could that possibly cause the disease to spread even more, no way at all....
Those people apparently aren't using the wonderful foolproof condoms anyway or there wouldn't be an alleged AIDS epidemic. So how is the pope taking anything away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,229,066 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Those people apparently aren't using the wonderful foolproof condoms anyway or there wouldn't be an alleged AIDS epidemic. So how is the pope taking anything away?
Is that a legitimate argument you are trying to make? REALLY???

you honestly think taking away condoms will help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,670 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Is that a legitimate argument you are trying to make? REALLY???

you honestly think taking away condoms will help...
Read my post again carefully. Nobody is taking condoms away. THEY AREN'T USING THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top