U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,466,718 times

Advertisements

Why listen to the pope anyway? All he is, is a man. People give him way too much power.

It's pretty sad when so many people give one little man the power to make decisions that affect their lives. What is he to Africa? Nobody. They don't care about what he deems as unethical or immoral.

It is unbelievable the power he has over people. Actually, it's frightening. All he is, is a little man wearing a white robe pretending he's God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
That is sooo naive.

On so many different levels.
Tell me how my statement is wrong.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Yay, then let's make everyone go back to the 50's. Then we can have more people telling couples what to do in their private life, and even when married couples can sleep in separate beds. I'll have to go tell some friends they are heathens too, they have Hep C (not quite AIDS, but transmission source is the same) from contaminated blood!
That's a canard. Very few AIDS cases are from blood transfusions.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Chowhound:
I think you missed the most important part of this. What does a Pope know of condoms and how they truly work unless he has tried them out? I thought these guys were celebate beyond a question of doubt? I am Catholic and always wondered how a priest or the Pope can possibly discuss birth control issues or sex and know what they are talking about.

I believe that true life experiences are the best teacher and the best way to make a point. How could the Pope possibly not say that we need to help the African Nations who are being devastated by Aids and if it takes sending truckloads of condoms over there then that is exactly what we should do. He should educate himself a little more so he can talk with more common sense about the Aids issue.

This absolutely floors me.
Gee. I guess since most women have never fought in a war, I guess that means most of them have no business commenting on Iraq.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Why listen to the pope anyway? All he is, is a man. People give him way too much power.

It's pretty sad when so many people give one little man the power to make decisions that affect their lives. What is he to Africa? Nobody. They don't care about what he deems as unethical or immoral.

It is unbelievable the power he has over people. Actually, it's frightening. All he is, is a little man wearing a white robe pretending he's God.
The pope is the visible leader of the Catholic Church. Catholics believe he speaks with the influence of God. The world has hundreds of millions of Catholics. What he says does, indeed, matter.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post

Ethics and morality is not what is needed.
Now there is a quote worthy of a plaque. With attitudes like this, is it any wonder the Holy Father has such an uphill battle?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM

656 posts, read 951,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Tell me how my statement is wrong.
You are under the notion that if those 'damn whores would stop having sex, then there would be no AIDS!' which in my most candid opinion, is quite idiotic and shows that you value fantasy over reality.

Did you know you can simply contract HIV simply from blood spilled on you from an HIV positive person? If you simply kiss a person with HIV and have a small cut in your mouth (say from potato chips) you can contract HIV? We are not even talking about the virgin children who got swathed with the virus while being born. We are not talking about the addicts that contract the virus through shared needles and go home to sleep with their wives or husbands (fact: a very large percentage of white collar workers have, at one time or another used heroin) who then spread the disease. You see how one person getting HIV in a totally innocent way (such as a kiss or being born, or blood) can cause someone to contract HIV and without knowledge? Sorry, but it's not all the damn whores having sex with any and everything that has a penis (or at least looks like one).

So for you to say if people didn't have sex that the problem would be solved is so naive that it can even be called plain down idiotic.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
Arrogant piousness. Catholic fundamentalist dogma run amok, in order to produce more obedient blind-faith Catholics. In Canada they've had a baby bonus for years for each child "produced", but of course it mainly goes to the Roman Catholic Chruch goers in Quebec. They have huge families, like 6 or 8 on average, for which they are reimbursed about $150 per child. Any Canadians know the exact $$ number now?

BTW, on a slightly diff. topic, Chowhound, (noting your comment at the top of the page...) do you have a good recipe that puts a light but snappy/brittle crust on a French bread baguette? I've got it down good, but I still can't get the crust like a good Parisienne bread bakery.

Well, it relates to the French, and they're mostly RC, right? and they make love a lot without condoms, right? So, maybe it's in the bread!

Thx! P&L2A! Rflmn™

Last edited by rifleman; 03-24-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: tie-pows

Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
You are under the notion that if those 'damn whores would stop having sex, then there would be no AIDS!' which in my most candid opinion, is quite idiotic and shows that you value fantasy over reality.

Did you know you can simply contract HIV simply from blood spilled on you from an HIV positive person? If you simply kiss a person with HIV and have a small cut in your mouth (say from potato chips) you can contract HIV? We are not even talking about the virgin children who got swathed with the virus while being born. We are not talking about the addicts that contract the virus through shared needles and go home to sleep with their wives or husbands (fact: a very large percentage of white collar workers have, at one time or another used heroin) who then spread the disease. You see how one person getting HIV in a totally innocent way (such as a kiss or being born, or blood) can cause someone to contract HIV and without knowledge? Sorry, but it's not all the damn whores having sex with any and everything that has a penis (or at least looks like one).

So for you to say if people didn't have sex that the problem would be solved is so naive that it can even be called plain down idiotic.
So are all the condoms you want sent to African meant to stop AIDS transfer from blood transfusions and shared needles? If sex outside of marriage isn't a problem, then condoms aren't a cure.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 PM

[quote=rifleman;8029258]Arrogant piousness. Catholic fundamentalist dogma run amok, in order to produce more obedient blind-faith Catholics. In Canada they've had a baby bonus for years for each child "produced", but of course it mainly goes to the Roman Catholic Chruch goers in Quebec. They have huge families, like 6 or 8 on average, for which they are reimbursed about $150 per child. Any Canadians know the exact $$ number now?

quote]

I'm sorry. You were telling me how sex within marriage won't reduce AIDS? Or were just taking shots at the Catholic Church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates