U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,194,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
If AIDS is so rampant, it sure doesn't sound like your way is working, does it? Maybe, instead of refusing to address the moral weakness in widespread promiscuous sex and wondering why it isn't working, we try the Pope's way.
IF AIDS is so rampant?

MY way isn't working?

Yeah, just on those two alone it's easy enough to completely disregard anything you have to say on the issue because clearly you have that special kind of ignorance only a zealot can manage.

Let's not even bother with the moral weakness and widespread promiscuous sex or "the Pope's way" as a description of a massive humanitarian crisis and half baked solution.

Get back to me when you can muster up a modicum of compassion and some intelligence wouldn't go astry either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,778,884 times
AIDS is not an appropriate "punishment" for promiscious sex.

Do I approve of promiscuous sex? No. At the same time, I would hate to believe the advice of a person who is only a man (not a God) over that of actual experts.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,044,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
IF AIDS is so rampant?

MY way isn't working?

Yeah, just on those two alone it's easy enough to completely disregard anything you have to say on the issue because clearly you have that special kind of ignorance only a zealot can manage.

Let's not even bother with the moral weakness and widespread promiscuous sex or "the Pope's way" as a description of a massive humanitarian crisis and half baked solution.

Get back to me when you can muster up a modicum of compassion and some intelligence wouldn't go astry either.
So tell us again why you compassionate liberals should have a say if there's a crisis in Africa? Results never matter liberals. It's all in how compassionate they claim to be.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM

604 posts, read 1,630,547 times
liberals are always first to judge

Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,194,182 times
Quote:
So tell us again why you compassionate liberals should have a say if there's a crisis in Africa? Results never matter liberals. It's all in how compassionate they claim to be.
For starters you might like to take a little look outside your own little vacuum because then you'd understand that I am not now nor have I ever been a liberal as it is defined here in Australia. When you've finished pigeon holing and righteously plotting the conversion of millions to an antiquated and useless religion led by a deluded old man as a solution to a health crisis again get back to me.

It's hard, I know, to think for yourself but it's ok, I don't expect you to. After all you can sin repeatedly til the cows come home as long as you front up Sunday morning and ask for forgiveness and say your Hail Marys all will be well in the world. It's a difficult thing to manage to police yourself well enough not to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over so you don't need to be absolved of your sins and it's not like your church encourages that anyway. You're a good Catholic, I get it. You're doing exactly what the Church wants you to do, parrot fashion. Only trouble is there are plenty of smart Catholics in the world that can think for themselves and they are well aware that Popey is WAY OFF BASE yet again, on this one.

As far as I'm concerned the Pope should stop behaving like a dodgy used car salesman trying to sell the world a lemon and start worrying about the depleting numbers of Catholics (and not behaving like an ambulance chaser to up his numbers) AND how he's not even close to understanding or protecting their needs now let alone what he's planning on doing to help whatever desperate and dying African he might be able to rope in to his nonsense.

Now please go away. I've not heard anything out of you yet that I would consider sensible or even remotely close to a solution and therefore we don't agree. It's pointless to keep sniping back and forward at each other over it.
You love your holy Popeness and think he's the bees knees on everything. I do not. Neither of us will be changing our minds anytime soon.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,495,448 times
Quote:
How is it working out for the African religions if indiscriminate sex is rampant? Sounds like a voice of morality is need from somewhere.

Your argument reminds me of this old joke.

It goes something like this: A man is on the street at night under a lamp post searching. Another man walks up and asks him what he is looking for. The man says,"I lost my key." The other man says, "Where did you lose it?" The first man replies, "Down the street, but the light is better over here."

There are studies that attribute 40% of the HIV population to have acquired it from dirty needles in medical centers. WHO came out and said, no that cannot be. Unfortunately, there seems to be an on going problem with that depending on which country and (specifically rural areas). http://www.crosswalk.com/news/commentary/11581473/

90% of the children that have AID's acquired it through the mother. Especially, through breast milk. We have alternatives and in some areas there is no water, therefore, breast milk is the only way for the baby to survive. Or they cannot afford the formula.

Many in the rural areas do not have access to condoms. Condoms do not work if you do not have one. The Pope's stance is that no one should have them with the exception of some married couples.

Then, there is access to drugs.

Then there are those women who are raped. I don't know if you have recently read the news in the last.....50 years if not one country, then another is in the middle of a civil war.

Then there are those that are sold into marraige. They are married. They are having sexual relations with their husband. He is just married to a few other women at the same time.

Quote:
But instead of offering these women useless verbiage, the pope could have offered the vast resources of the church to distribute anti-viral foam to young married women in AIDS-infested areas. Foam is the only form of AIDS prevention that young wives completely control and can use without their husbands' permission.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2009/03/160_41712.html

So, the key is still not under the lamp post.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Why would it not be the business of everyone to help suffering people? Again, what you liberals are doing obviously isn't working. Let's try another approach.

No, you see, you had 2000 years and you still can't get it done. Your time is up. We don't have all day.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM

604 posts, read 1,630,547 times
uhm except aids wasn't discovered until the late 20th century.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 03-26-2009 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: no name calling.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 PM

But the party line was, sweetie.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:43 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,044,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Your argument reminds me of this old joke.

It goes something like this: A man is on the street at night under a lamp post searching. Another man walks up and asks him what he is looking for. The man says,"I lost my key." The other man says, "Where did you lose it?" The first man replies, "Down the street, but the light is better over here."

There are studies that attribute 40% of the HIV population to have acquired it from dirty needles in medical centers. WHO came out and said, no that cannot be. Unfortunately, there seems to be an on going problem with that depending on which country and (specifically rural areas). http://www.crosswalk.com/news/commentary/11581473/

90% of the children that have AID's acquired it through the mother. Especially, through breast milk. We have alternatives and in some areas there is no water, therefore, breast milk is the only way for the baby to survive. Or they cannot afford the formula.

Many in the rural areas do not have access to condoms. Condoms do not work if you do not have one. The Pope's stance is that no one should have them with the exception of some married couples.

Then, there is access to drugs.

Then there are those women who are raped. I don't know if you have recently read the news in the last.....50 years if not one country, then another is in the middle of a civil war.

Then there are those that are sold into marraige. They are married. They are having sexual relations with their husband. He is just married to a few other women at the same time.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2009/03/160_41712.html

So, the key is still not under the lamp post.
I find it fascinating you left out by far the leading cause of AIDS: GAY SEX.

I laugh pretty hard when people quote WHO about anything. Like the UN, the WHO is marionette of the far left. Their whole purpose is to extract money from producer countries, chiefly the US. They go for any leftist cause du jour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates