U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
What can I say? I'm two dimensional!

Interestingly I had this brought to my attention on the subject today.

Thought others might like to read.

AFP: Most Italians disagree with pope on condom use: poll

Spain Counters Pope, Sends Condoms to Africa | News | Advocate.com (http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid75701.asp - broken link)

Italians disagree with Pope's stance on condoms -Times Online

Vatican edits Pope Benedict XVI's condom claims | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25212024-2703,00.html - broken link)

OH and to add because of your subsequent post, I'll say this. It's no secret that I am not a fan of the Pope. I don't have an issue with moderate Catholics, many of whom I know and am even related to. The bottom line here for me is The Pope is way out of line with these comments AND it would appear that a good many Catholics AND a good many different governments around the world agree with me.
Again, this seems to be a hard concept for you liberals to understand. I will repeat it for the third time for those who don't comprehend well:

It is irrelevant what some people think about the Catholic Church. People who disagree with the church are free to leave it or not join it.

The Catholic Church
1) is not a political party that sucks up to people's whims
2) does not conduct membership drives
3) attracts people precisely BECAUSE it sticks to a firm and righteous set of principles
4) has every right to offer an input wherever people are suffering
5) does not base its belief system on what one man thinks or what any man thinks.

From my experience, atheists are particular hard on organizations that set firm principles precisely because atheists generally stand for nothing, and they resent entities that challenge them to get off their brains and actually try to do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 951,687 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Again, this seems to be a hard concept for you liberals to understand. I will repeat it for the third time for those who don't comprehend well:

It is irrelevant what some people think about the Catholic Church. People who disagree with the church are free to leave it or not join it.

The Catholic Church
1) is not a political party that sucks up to people's whims
2) does not conduct membership drives
3) attracts people precisely BECAUSE it sticks to a firm and righteous set of principles
4) has every right to offer an input wherever people are suffering
5) does not base its belief system on what one man thinks or what any man thinks.

From my experience, atheists are particular hard on organizations that set firm principles precisely because atheists generally stand for nothing, and they resent entities that challenge them to get off their brains and actually try to do something.

Two big mistakes you made in your post.

You assume that everyone who does not agree with your views to be liberals.

And you assume that atheists are people who criticize the church every time they get a chance and have no brain to think (quite the contraire! Isn't it the Christians who look to a book for guidance through life? Don't get me started.)

It's just that when one makes a statement about condoms when they have no right to (because you know, it's better to have unprotected sex with a wh*re rather than spill it upon the earth! ) then yes, us who believe in contraception get extremely angry when the leader of said religious organization makes a comment about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 951,687 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Here's the thing liberals don't understand. The Catholic Church isn't like the Democrat Party. They don't change their stances when some people gripe. We've been hearing for decades that people are leaving the Church in droves over their abortion stand. Yet the church remains as strong as ever. It's strength and appeal is in its absolute core convictions. Being true to a set of core beliefs is tough. The fact is, some people just can't cut it. So they leave. That's their choice, but whom does it hurt? Not the Catholic Church. They're going to continue being what they have always been.
I was reading back and I just couldn't resist!

So you mean to tell me that the Catholic Church will continue to be the Mafia they have always been?

You know, burning protestants at the stake for heresy?

Or doing the same to scientists? And evolutionist? And pagans? Let's not forget about the Spanish Inquisition either!

And I can go on and on and on about them too! So is that the Catholic Church that is going to continue being what they have always been? Murderers from the start? Yea, I got ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,466,718 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
5) does not base its belief system on what one man thinks or what any man thinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Two big mistakes you made in your post.

You assume that everyone who does not agree with your views to be liberals.

And you assume that atheists are people who criticize the church every time they get a chance and have no brain to think (quite the contraire! Isn't it the Christians who look to a book for guidance through life? Don't get me started.)
Actually, there are three. The catholic church DOES base it's belief system on what one man thinks. Eeeeee forgot they have the pope and they think he's God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,491,128 times
Reputation: 1846
Please, do not forget the aiding and abetting Nazi War Criminals. Or supporting murderous regimes in high hopes of obtaining more political power in Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 01:17 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I was reading back and I just couldn't resist!

So you mean to tell me that the Catholic Church will continue to be the Mafia they have always been?

You know, burning protestants at the stake for heresy?

Or doing the same to scientists? And evolutionist? And pagans? Let's not forget about the Spanish Inquisition either!

And I can go on and on and on about them too! So is that the Catholic Church that is going to continue being what they have always been? Murderers from the start? Yea, I got ya.
As I've said. Every organization has bad people in it. It doesn't change or affect the tenets of the faith. Human actions have no effect on my belief system. The message of Catholicism is and has always been one of love, even if mortals have done bad things in the name of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
 
604 posts, read 1,629,177 times
Reputation: 228
Okay, I think it's mainly protestants who think this, but Catholics do not warship the Pope as God. People just respect him and his views. You come off as being really ignorant when you say that.

And the Catholic Church used to have so many bad people because it used be the most powerful organization in the world. People would become bishops/priests for power which is obviously not the case now.

I'm not even extremley religious myself...like i pray, but i'm really a "Christmas/Easter" Catholic, and don't think using condoms are bad. But i do agree with the Pope here and think that for Africans, condoms aren't the best solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Actually, there are three. The catholic church DOES base it's belief system on what one man thinks. Eeeeee forgot they have the pope and they think he's God.
This statement proves you have no idea what you're talking about regarding the pope's role in the Catholic Church. And since you don't know, do us a favor and stop talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,491,128 times
Reputation: 1846
or else what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,466,718 times
Reputation: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
This statement proves you have no idea what you're talking about regarding the pope's role in the Catholic Church. And since you don't know, do us a favor and stop talking.
Gee, then what is this thread about? And what good is the pope?

Do US a favor and stop talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top