Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,790 times

Advertisements

And this is why I am opposed to faith based organizations receiving government funding in Africa or the US or any other place.

Bring money, medicine, food and water AND condoms AND abortions or get out.

Ethics and morality is not what is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I guess you could say that, because if people had had sex exclusively within marriage, AIDS would be virtually non-existent.
That is sooo naive.

On so many different levels.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
Is there anybody really ignorant enough to think that the people in Africa care what the pope says or thinks?
Are there folks so silly that they believe if the Pope said everybody should wear condoms it would matter?

No wonder we are in such a mess. The ONLY aids victims I'm concerened with are those who get it from transfusions & other things thru no fault of their own.
Beyond that, you take your chances & live with the results.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I guess you could say that, because if people had had sex exclusively within marriage, AIDS would be virtually non-existent.
Yay, then let's make everyone go back to the 50's. Then we can have more people telling couples what to do in their private life, and even when married couples can sleep in separate beds. I'll have to go tell some friends they are heathens too, they have Hep C (not quite AIDS, but transmission source is the same) from contaminated blood!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Yay, then let's make everyone go back to the 50's. Then we can have more people telling couples what to do in their private life, and even when married couples can sleep in separate beds. I'll have to go tell some friends they are heathens too, they have Hep C (not quite AIDS, but transmission source is the same) from contaminated blood!
No one with AIDS should be permitted to have sex, even with a condom, with anyone unless their partner is well aware they have AIDS and understands the risks involved.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No one with AIDS should be permitted to have sex, even with a condom, with anyone unless their partner is well aware they have AIDS and understands the risks involved.
Actually you can be criminally prosecuted for having an incurable STD and not telling your sex partner that you have it (going under the assumption that you know). The hard part with that is they have to a.) prove that you knew b.)prove that you were the one who had it first and c.)prove that the other person wasn't lying. As you can tell, it's a near impossible thing to do (people lie and can cheat lie detectors). It's a law on the books, but hardly one that you can prosecute.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
Quote:
I agree there, I think it should be a felony to purposely infect some one with it. Purposely I think it should include knowing the condition and not informing their partner...including the pulling of medical records to confirm they knew (not legal now really, but my opinion).

Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Is there anybody really ignorant enough to think that the people in Africa care what the pope says or thinks?
Are there folks so silly that they believe if the Pope said everybody should wear condoms it would matter?

No wonder we are in such a mess. The ONLY aids victims I'm concerened with are those who get it from transfusions & other things thru no fault of their own.
Beyond that, you take your chances & live with the results.

What this myopic viewpoint chooses to ignore is the sad facts of the matter in Africa. The cultural differences (women being treated as property and men encouraged to conquer girls and women), civil wars, poverty, famine etc. has created the horrible petri dish for the AIDS epidemic.
Catholic and Christian missionaries crawling all over Africa providing famine and medical relief are ill equipped to assist in the prevention aspect.
Primarily due to the fact that they have converted folks over the many years there and the concept of birth control is completely opposite of their newfound religious beliefs.
The spread of AIDS in Africa is a complex problem that goes far beyond whatever the Pope says, however, when he states such a thing, people get all opinionated about it, which is funny since they have NEVER supplied birth control, this certainly is not a new thing for the church to claim to want to help people and yet they do so in the most useless of ways. It's just that this Pope is willing to throw it out in the open, since he's already reviled by most people.
Their "help" just hurts, it's despicable.
And the people who believe that the AIDS spread in Africa is a marital issue and/or somehow a person in Africa's 'fault' for having sex out of wedlock,etc etc are grossly uninformed.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,030 times
Default Pope comments on condoms

Chowhound:
I think you missed the most important part of this. What does a Pope know of condoms and how they truly work unless he has tried them out? I thought these guys were celebate beyond a question of doubt? I am Catholic and always wondered how a priest or the Pope can possibly discuss birth control issues or sex and know what they are talking about.

I believe that true life experiences are the best teacher and the best way to make a point. How could the Pope possibly not say that we need to help the African Nations who are being devastated by Aids and if it takes sending truckloads of condoms over there then that is exactly what we should do. He should educate himself a little more so he can talk with more common sense about the Aids issue.

This absolutely floors me.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
Quote:
How are you going to stop them, though? They SHOULD stop having sex. I SHOULD be making a million dollars a week. Neither appears to be happening, my friend.

Let's also bear in mind that some people carry HIV for as long as 15 without any symptoms at all. Why would they know to stop having sex? In African countries where the governments are telling people, with straight faces, that AIDS doesn't really exist or is spread by Westerners who poison the drinking water, are you really going to expect good access to public heath information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates