U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:26 PM

38,759 posts, read 37,938,490 times

Advertisements

I heard recently that the Pope has said the condoms won't do much to help with the AIDS problem in Africa. Is this guy delusional. I'm don't want to offend people here but comments like this absolutely floor me.

Africa is one the hardest hit countries in the world dealing with AIDS and this "guy" comes out and says this.

I know Catholics don't believe in birth control, but at the risk of peoples lives. Again I'm speechless.

What could possibly be the reasoning behind this. Blind allegiance to "scripture".

At what expense. People dying needlessly? Is following the tenets that important. One could take a cynical look at say that the catholic church want members so badly that they want all of the unborn children to become catholic.

I hate to tell ya this but, if they're dying of AIDS you want have anymore Catholics.

On Africa trip, pope says condoms won't solve AIDS (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090317/ap_on_re_af/af_pope_africa - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,582,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I heard recently that the Pope has said the condoms won't do much to help with the AIDS problem in Africa. Is this guy delusional. I'm don't want to offend people here but comments like this absolutely floor me.

Africa is one the hardest hit countries in the world dealing with AIDS and this "guy" comes out and says this.

I know Catholics don't believe in birth control, but at the risk of peoples lives. Again I'm speechless.

What could possibly be the reasoning behind this. Blind allegiance to "scripture".
Sadly, yes that's pretty much it right there.

Quote:
At what expense. People dying needlessly? Is following the tenets that important. One could take a cynical look at say that the catholic church want members so badly that they want all of the unborn children to become catholic.
You got that right.

Isn't it insane?

On Africa trip, pope says condoms won't solve AIDS (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090317/ap_on_re_af/af_pope_africa - broken link)[/quote]

Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,042,670 times
Quote:

I hate to tell ya this but, if they're dying of AIDS you want have anymore Catholics.

On Africa trip, pope says condoms won't solve AIDS (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090317/ap_on_re_af/af_pope_africa - broken link)
This thread is along the same lines as "If you make abortion illegal, you force people into dangerous coathanger backalley abortions".

Both arguments deny responsibility of the principals involved for the decisions they make.

In the condoms instance, you take responsibility away from people having indiscriminate sex outside of marriage. Why do that?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
The Church's stand on birth control is the main reason I left it.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
In the condoms instance, you take responsibility away from people having indiscriminate sex outside of marriage. Why do that?
Its not your business nor mine who has sex with whom.

Free will. Isn't that what God gave us. Free will to make mistakes as well.

Isn't it written somewhere in Christian doctrine about not judging people. Isn't that Gods job so to speak.

I always love how "good" Christians seem to be the most judge mental people I've ever met.

What's that word I'm thinking of...

Oh yeah its pious.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
So AIDS is people's punishment for having sex out of marriage?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,186,445 times
Quote:
I heard recently that the Pope has said the condoms won't do much to help with the AIDS problem in Africa. Is this guy delusional. I'm don't want to offend people here but comments like this absolutely floor me.....
Actually not that I agree with the Pope when it comes to birth control (or too many other things) but from what I've read and heard about the inability of successive health programs to convince the population of Africa to embrace the use of condoms, I'd say on this one he's right.

There's been numerous programs run in the last 20 odd years to try to get men to use condoms in Africa and culturally they're just not interested so as far as I can see you can provide them with free condoms till the cows come home, they're really not interested in using them. Hence the rising AIDS epidemic.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Actually not that I agree with the Pope when it comes to birth control (or too many other things) but from what I've read and heard about the inability of successive health programs to convince the population of Africa to embrace the use of condoms, I'd say on this one he's right.

There's been numerous programs run in the last 20 odd years to try to get men to use condoms in Africa and culturally they're just not interested so as far as I can see you can provide them with free condoms till the cows come home, they're really not interested in using them. Hence the rising AIDS epidemic.
I don't think the Pope was thinking of condom compliance issues when he said his comments.

I think it was more along the church's stance on birth control.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Its not your business nor mine who has sex with whom.

Free will. Isn't that what God gave us. Free will to make mistakes as well.

Isn't it written somewhere in Christian doctrine about not judging people. Isn't that Gods job so to speak.

I always love how "good" Christians seem to be the most judge mental people I've ever met.

What's that word I'm thinking of...

Oh yeah its pious.
If it isn't our business that people are having indiscriminant sex, then the so-called AIDS epidemic isn't our business either. Can't have it both ways, friend.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So AIDS is people's punishment for having sex out of marriage?
I guess you could say that, because if people had had sex exclusively within marriage, AIDS would be virtually non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates