U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-07-2009, 09:13 AM

13,275 posts, read 27,652,922 times
I used to be dead set (please forgive the pun) against it.
I've had mixed feelings the past few years.
Thing is, I simply deplore the thought of an innocent person being executed.
This is a very eerie set of Last Words of inmates who have been put to death.
They go on and on. Some of them are actually funny. A lot of them seem very peaceful. Many are religious.
"I'm sorry I killed Wayne Shinn. I hope North Carolina will one day be sorry that they killed me."
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-07-2009, 09:34 AM

27,239 posts, read 23,883,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Are you all for or against the death penalty?

If you are for the death penalty, do you think it should only apply in murder cases or also in cases such as child rape, etc?

I, for one, am against the death penalty. But, I'd like to hear views from both sides.
I believe it is effective, if applied. However, I don't think that the state should make the decision, but each and every individual person threatened by the criminal. The state needs less power.

Unread 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,827,615 times
Do it. I agree with Blazer. If it's been determined that the party is guilty, bang this thing out. I say give 18mo. to get it done. And no more lethal injection. "I'm too fat to find a vein, it's cruel and unusual". Shoot'em, hang'em or fry'em. No vein issues there. Oh and it should be extended to rapists child or otherwise.

Unread 07-09-2009, 08:37 AM

2,987 posts, read 4,346,690 times
Haven't read this thread but the first pages. But I strongly believe in the death penalty. I use to think criminals that got the death penalty were getting off easy if they died and would have to sit in jail for the rest of their life thinking about what they did and that is punishment enough. That thought process is not the same today. Those that commit crime get to work out, go to school, have counseling sessions, eat, don't have to pay rent, use the internet, play games with other inmates, get visitors, have free health care, etc. They get beyond what their victims received. If a victim had to suffer and was tourtured so should the murderer. An eye for an eye.

Unread 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM

37,284 posts, read 31,515,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't think that the state should make the decision, but each and every individual person threatened by the criminal. The state needs less power.
Where can I submit my list of people I have known whom I want to have executed? Can I put C-D forum posters on the list?

You know, when I read the viscious bloodthirsty anger-driven posts in this thread demanding thousands of summary executions per year, I come to think that the USA is maybe the scariest country in the world to live in. And it's not the criminals who make it scary.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-09-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Unread 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM

27,239 posts, read 23,883,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where can I submit my list of people I have known whom I want to have executed? Can I put C-D forum posters on the list?

You know, when I read the viscious bloodthirsty anger-driven posts in this thread demanding thousands of summary executions per year, I come to think that the USA is maybe the scariest country in the world to live in. And it's not the criminals who make it scary.
Not a matter of submission--it's a matter of taking action.

Unread 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM

4,191 posts, read 2,853,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Are you all for or against the death penalty?

If you are for the death penalty, do you think it should only apply in murder cases or also in cases such as child rape, etc?

I, for one, am against the death penalty. But, I'd like to hear views from both sides.
For in the case of murderers, rapist, and child molestors.

Unread 07-10-2009, 07:18 PM

458 posts, read 703,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
There are those who rightly point out that sometimes new evidence is years in coming, but it's very rare it has an impact on a case where the person was sentenced to die.
But it does happen. Saving an innocent person.

Unread 07-11-2009, 08:27 AM

37,284 posts, read 31,515,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
For in the case of murderers, rapist, and child molestors.
You mean you have mellowed in the case of horse thieves?

About 30 million Americans have stated that they have been either sexually abused as adults or molested as children. There are going to be brown outs on execution day. Even Pol Pot would have thought that would require an excessive number of executions. But Pol Pot has nothing on the vicious bloodthirst of the American people in our zest to kill other human beings and watch them writhe in their death agony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not a matter of submission--it's a matter of taking action.

Without due process, right? Did I understand you correctly? Accusations are not submitted to a judicial process, we just kill the suspects? Iraq-style? Just blow up the houses, the villages, the neighborhoods where suspects are thought to live? Do you think napalm would work OK?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-11-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Unread 07-11-2009, 08:40 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,198,500 times
I am against the death penalty, but not for the reasons you might think.

I'd rather see people who are guilty of the most heinous and vile crimes suffer and rot away in prison until they die. To me, death is the easy way out of what should be a long and horrible life in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates