Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You guys need to share whatever it is your smoking i remember this conversation when I was young and stoned.
Can you remember what you decided? or at least where you got your weed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
You guys are wonderful
Having read nature science for the last 3 years, I have to be a total drag and say, yes, it makes sounds, even if no one is there to hear it. Human, that is - show me the forest where there are no other hearing creatures around to hear the falling trees

Can't resist it...

Why debate whether it makes a sound or not, if the real question is:
If no one is there to see it fall, does the tree actually fall?

(Sorry, but it's close to 1 am here and I've been up since 7 am)

Old 03-24-2009, 06:19 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
No! There are several hundred million trees in a state of suspended animation. They would have fallen over, but no-one was there to see them. So they hang in limbo until someone comes along to witness the fall. (There; that was easy, wasn't it?)

Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
johnrex62 wrote:
Quote:
so, if I have a recorder setup and record the vibrations created by the tree, carried by the air and listen to it later.....when is the sound created? At the time the tree fell and was recorded, or when I listened to the machine? If not until I listened, then what did the recorder record?
I was going to respond with the exact same question but you beat me to it. The way I see it is that a tape recorder functions in a similar manner to an ear because it can detect and record sound waves that our ears perceive as sound. Sound, by it's very definition, requires a mechanism to detect it and that could be the ear of an animal or human being and it could also be a tape recorder which has been constructed to record sound. It is an interesting question and I think that if there is no ear or sound recording device present when sound waves are generated that there is no sound because there is nothing there to detect it.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Depends on which definition you use:
--------------------------------------
sound

–noun
1. the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.
2. mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium, traveling in air at a speed of approximately 1087 ft. (331 m) per second at sea level.

-----------------------------

It makes a "sound", Definition 2. but not Definition 1. Not all dictionaries put them in the same order.
Will it really work differently if I choose which definition I prefer?

WOW! I never really believed in all that self-perception stuff before.

......now to stash a recorder and clear a forest of all living creatures...

Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
You guys are wonderful
Having read nature science for the last 3 years, I have to be a total drag and say, yes, it makes sounds, even if no one is there to hear it. Human, that is - show me the forest where there are no other hearing creatures around to hear the falling trees

Can't resist it...

I believe the proper answer to this question is: If I don't see it, it ain't there! Therefore the forest does not exist, ergo it cannot make a sound! By Jove, I think Sweden has solved it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No! There are several hundred million trees in a state of suspended animation. They would have fallen over, but no-one was there to see them. So they hang in limbo until someone comes along to witness the fall. (There; that was easy, wasn't it?)
Hate the be the first person to step into that forest and have a few million trees suddenly start falling on me! Does Blue Cross cover that?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
You guys are wonderful

Can't resist it...

But, if there were not any creatures to process the sound waves then....

The sound waves would eventually dissipate and fade away but upon return to where the tree fell, the tree will have changed positions and you could make a strong case that it had moved.

I saw a sign in Redwoods Nat'l Park about the Geyerville Giant, a tree that fell and was reported to be heard two miles away in a ranger station and sounded like a freight train.

but if the ranger would have been sleeping.........

Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Can you remember what you decided? or at least where you got your weed?

would that be indica or sativa??? ohh i forgot i can't remember.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,046 times
I think that sound is defined by the waves that are created by the event. The waves don't need an ear to exist, we just need an ear to detect them. Therefore sound exists whether someone is there to hear it or not.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
There IS sound, there's just no one there to hear it.

If I turn up my heat and then run outside, because the house is empty and no one is there to hear the water moving through the pipes, does that cancel out the sound?

Hell, I leave my televison on everyday when I go to work. When I walk in the door when I get home, does it hear me turn my key in the door and hurry and start making sound again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates