U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,677,898 times

Advertisements

Dude i remember watching Kenny Rodgers on tv with the sound off and the stereo playing Black Sabbath, I remember thinking "Wow I didn't know he sang that" was someone talking about a tree? do trees feel pain when they fall? i see people hammer a big nail in a tree to hang a lantern, do you think it hurts? Trees are so cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,438,256 times
In Psychology, sound is defined as requiring a source, a medium through which to propogate, and a receiver.

In Physics, sound is defined as only requiring a source and a medium.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,711,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
You guys are wonderful
Having read nature science for the last 3 years, I have to be a total drag and say, yes, it makes sounds, even if no one is there to hear it. Human, that is - show me the forest where there are no other hearing creatures around to hear the falling trees
Perfect.

Bats, for instance, can pick it up if it's farther than 20KHz, say 80KHz or something.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
In Psychology, sound is defined as requiring a source, a medium through which to propogate, and a receiver.

In Physics, sound is defined as only requiring a source and a medium.
I don't know about psychology, is that a conventional definition?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,799,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You guys need to share whatever it is your smoking i remember this conversation when I was young and stoned.
So are you talking Eureka, California = Humbolt Redwoods State Forest ???

Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I don't know about psychology, is that a conventional definition?
I worded that poorly. In the field of Psychology, all three components, source, medium, and receiver are required to constitute sound. In the field of Physics (acoustics), only a source and medium are required. This explains the two definitions that Jtur88 provided on a previous post.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I worded that poorly. In the field of Psychology, all three components, source, medium, and receiver are required to constitute sound. In the field of Physics (acoustics), only a source and medium are required. This explains the two definitions that Jtur88 provided on a previous post.
Dude, I wasn't critiquing your assertion. It's just that I am a psychology dunce and am quite curious as to whether it's part of psychology's glossary as an index of definitions.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Dude, I wasn't critiquing your assertion. It's just that I am a psychology dunce and am quite curious as to whether it's part of psychology's glossary as an index of definitions.
I didn't think you were critiquing it, I just needed to reword it so as not to say I was giving the definition of sound, merely what components were required in the different fields to satisfy their definions of what is sound. We discussed this in one of my physics classes nearly 30 years ago. I am sure is was just conventional Psychology.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,103,736 times
Default If a tree falls

What???

Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,414,142 times
DonnaReed wrote:
Quote:
Hell, I leave my televison on everyday when I go to work. When I walk in the door when I get home, does it hear me turn my key in the door and hurry and start making sound again?
Maybe a more important question might be why in the world don't you shut off that tv when you leave and save on electricity? But to get back to the basic question I completely understand the common sense way you're looking at this but I think a distinction has to be made between sound waves and the actual sound itself. I believe they're two separate things. What I'm getting at is that our ears turn the phenomenon of sounds waves into what we perceive as sound in our brains. A person who's deaf may be surrounded by sound waves but they are lacking the physical mechanism to detect them and translate them into sound. I'm not 100% sure I'm right about this but it makes sense to me that sound itself only occurs in our brain. Does that make any sense or do I SOUND crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates