Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,592,855 times

Advertisements

DonnaReed wrote:
Quote:
Hell, I leave my televison on everyday when I go to work. When I walk in the door when I get home, does it hear me turn my key in the door and hurry and start making sound again?
Maybe a more important question might be why in the world don't you shut off that tv when you leave and save on electricity? But to get back to the basic question I completely understand the common sense way you're looking at this but I think a distinction has to be made between sound waves and the actual sound itself. I believe they're two separate things. What I'm getting at is that our ears turn the phenomenon of sounds waves into what we perceive as sound in our brains. A person who's deaf may be surrounded by sound waves but they are lacking the physical mechanism to detect them and translate them into sound. I'm not 100% sure I'm right about this but it makes sense to me that sound itself only occurs in our brain. Does that make any sense or do I SOUND crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM

239 posts, read 351,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've always believed that the sound occurs only when it is heard and if there is nothing there to process the signal all you have is sonic waves traveling through the woods like a radio signal without a receiver.
It makes a sound, next question?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM

706 posts, read 3,757,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
DonnaReed wrote:

Maybe a more important question might be why in the world don't you shut off that tv when you leave and save on electricity? But to get back to the basic question I completely understand the common sense way you're looking at this but I think a distinction has to be made between sound waves and the actual sound itself. I believe they're two separate things. What I'm getting at is that our ears turn the phenomenon of sounds waves into what we perceive as sound in our brains. A person who's deaf may be surrounded by sound waves but they are lacking the physical mechanism to detect them and translate them into sound. I'm not 100% sure I'm right about this but it makes sense to me that sound itself only occurs in our brain. Does that make any sense or do I SOUND crazy?
Hey Montanaguy,

I know that I should turn off the television. The one I leave on is an old Sony Projector 50 inch that I've had since about 2001. I've left in on all day and night since I've owned it. My electrician said he can't believe it's lasted so long and that it would probably last twice as long had I turned it off every now and then.

On sound, I still say the sound exist...

but not for anybody??

Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 896 times
Default your schools

Mrs DonnaReed forgive me if this a unpolite question but if you dont mind me asking which schools did you attend. In a post i read you went to both CUNY and Ivy league and as an aspiring ivy league student for grad who can only afford a cuny undergraduate education I would love to know your experience please.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,144,967 times
oops old thread...but interesting topic.

It's late and I'm lost here as well. I thought sound was an interpretation of waves, just as our ability to see light is an interpretation. The interpretation isn't the actual wave. So, I'd say no, if nobody is there to hear it, there isn't an interpretation.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,782,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
oops old thread...but interesting topic.

It's late and I'm lost here as well. I thought sound was an interpretation of waves, just as our ability to see light is an interpretation. The interpretation isn't the actual wave. So, I'd say no, if nobody is there to hear it, there isn't an interpretation.
Depends on what field of study in which you are defining sound. In Physics, the only requirements for sound are the source and a media in which to propogate. In Psychology, in addition to the source and media, a receiver is also needed.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,824,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Ok, here it is. . . the REAL TRUTH!

Sound is a phenomena that occurs when vibrations, carried by air, meet the receptical (ear) designed to detect them. Without BOTH the vibrations and the ear, the thing we call sound cannot exist!
Thats not the exact or whole truth...There are "sounds" out of our hearing range. yet other species can "hear" them. Do they not exist, even though an "ear" cant detect them?

Remember some species detect vibrations by various body parts...

...Some bats use ultrasound for echo location while in flight. Dogs are able to hear ultrasound, which is the principle of "silent" dog whistles. Snakes sense infrasound through their bellies, and whales, giraffes, and elephants use it for communication. As with other vertebrates, fish have an inner ear to detect sound, although through the medium of water.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,634,586 times
Sound, like light, can exist without any mechanical or biological receptor. If you plug your ears does the sound of jackhammers cease? If you cover your eyes does the light stop? Sound requires a media. The sun is a very loud sonic source but cannot be heard because the vacuum of space prevents transmission of the vibrations to earth. Light does not require any media for transmission hence we can see the sun. Sound and light exist so long as they are generated.

So if a tree falls in the forest and is not heard it still makes a sound.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,030,645 times
The better question is when the tree falls, and hits a mime, does anyone care?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,144,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Depends on what field of study in which you are defining sound. In Physics, the only requirements for sound are the source and a media in which to propogate. In Psychology, in addition to the source and media, a receiver is also needed.
In physics, sound is still an interpretation of a wave. If that's not the case, can you share a helpful link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates