Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,385,563 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a group of people the other day. Several of them said that they had never had an abortion, and never would. They stated that they are dead-set against the idea of having an abortion. However, at the same time they said that they are very committed to the idea of being able to choose. They are as much pro-choice as they are pro-life.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Actually it does. We live in a society where ‘it’s my way or the highway’ for many people. I do realize that the abortion issue is an extremely touchy subject, and I’m not even going to mention my own personal view on it. But here is where I believe these people are coming from (I’m stating what I think their philosophy might be):

I believe abortion to be wrong. I would never have one. Yet I also believe in free agency. You decide what you think the moral implications may be and go from there.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-21-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
They aren't really pro-life.

Most pro-lifers feel abortion is murder and, thus, should not be simply a personal choice. They support attempts to change the law.

That said, it is possible in my opinion to be both pro-life and pro-choice using a different line of thought. Some people hate abortion and would, when thinking in ideals, love for it to be banned. They realize, however, that abortion won't simply "go away" if a law is passed against it. These people strongly support discouraging abortion, while keeping a legal safe abortion option available if only to prevent women from having dangerous abortions that could threaten their lives as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Sure. I am. I wish there would never be anyone who would have an abortion. I wish all children were wanted, and those that arent could be places quickly and easily into adoptive homes. But that's not the way things are, so as an alternative, I wish all women would have the free choice of whether to carry an unwanted child to full term or not.

There is no conflict in my mind. I am pro-life, because I want all babies to be born and grow up in welcoming environments. I am pro-choice because I want all women to have the choice whether to have their baby or not. I don't understand why this is an issue.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:22 PM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
Quote:
I was talking to a group of people the other day. Several of them said that they had never had an abortion, and never would. They stated that they are dead-set against the idea of having an abortion. However, at the same time they said that they are very committed to the idea of being able to choose. They are as much pro-choice as they are pro-life.

yes it makes a lot of sense. I think this is how a lot of people feel. I think it alll boils down to choice being the key

Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,194,527 times
Quote:

I'm not sure that this is a case of being pro-life and pro-choice. It sounds more like a case of being pro-choice. My read on this is that they are very committed to people having choices. They are making an individual "choice" to not have an abortion, while also leaving open the possibility for others to "choose" for themselves.

On another note, I do not think that abortion is necessarily a binary issue for some people. For many, their opinions are very much contingent upon the circumstances of the situation.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
So the real issue is whether you are Pro-Choice or Anti-Choice. The faction that calls themselves Pro-Life are not that at all. They are Anti-Choice. They don't care what happens to the fetus, as long as Mommy is denied her choice in the matter.

The Pro-Choice people are also Pro-Life. It is the Anti-Choice people are, apparently, also Pro-Life, but they are also inclined to being obstructionists and forcing other people to conform with their view.

How much of a commitment does it take to say "I want you to have your baby", and then close the door and go back into your house where you have no responsibility for the care or the wellbeing of the baby?

Anti-Choice doesn't seem very American, or even Humanitarian.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So the real issue is whether you are Pro-Choice or Anti-Choice. The faction that calls themselves Pro-Life are not that at all. They are Anti-Choice. They don't care what happens to the fetus, as long as Mommy is denied her choice in the matter.

The Pro-Choice people are also Pro-Life. It is the Anti-Choice people are, apparently, also Pro-Life, but they are also inclined to being obstructionists and forcing other people to conform with their view.

How much of a commitment does it take to say "I want you to have your baby", and then close the door and go back into your house where you have no responsibility for the care or the wellbeing of the baby?

Anti-Choice doesn't seem very American, or even Humanitarian.
Anti-Choice great term

Old 05-21-2009, 04:22 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Anti-Choice great term
Sadly, that term applies to lots of things it shouldn't in our budding big-brother society.

The idea of, you are free to choose to have an abortion... but don't you dare eat a Big Mac, has always seemed a bit ridiculous to me. Seems a bit of a double standard. If we are going to champion free agency, let’s champion it across the board. I’m a firm advocate of ‘do your thing and let others do theirs.’ It's the 'let others do theirs' part that most folks have a real problem with.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM

72 posts, read 264,008 times
Indeed, you can be both pro-choice and pro-life. If I were to get pregnant (which I can't, because I am a guy), I would probably birth the child and give it to a family who couldn't have kids. I am, however, totally in support of having the choice to do so. My mother was like that too. She got pregnant with me when she was a teenager. She decided not to get an abortion, but she is very thankful to live in a country where she had the freedom to choose.

That's the point of being Pro-Choice! We believe Americans should have the freedom to choose!

Pro-lifers are always saying to keep Uncle Sam's hand out of their wallets, but they want Uncle Sam's hand all up in their uterus.

Pro-choice is pro-freedom! Do what you want! = P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates