U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM

33,978 posts, read 32,471,125 times

Advertisements

Convertible top water tanks to capture and hold the rain. The tops can be opened when it's raining and closed when it's not so the water doesn't evaporate.

Florida is complaining about lack of water and they have 4 of the Top 10 US cities for rainfall. Seems to me, they just don't know how to hold onto it and instead want to be grabbing Tennessee's and Georgia's water.

Study Reveals Top 10 Wettest U.S. Cities | LiveScience

Now an enterprising state with a lot of rainfall could capture their rain and sell it to other states, don't you think?

Here are the states annual rainfall numbers (alphabetical list):

Annual Rainfall for U.S. States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,257,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Convertible top water tanks to capture and hold the rain. The tops can be opened when it's raining and closed when it's not so the water doesn't evaporate.

Florida is complaining about lack of water and they have 4 of the Top 10 US cities for rainfall. Seems to me, they just don't know how to hold onto it and instead want to be grabbing Tennessee's and Georgia's water.

Study Reveals Top 10 Wettest U.S. Cities | LiveScience

Now an enterprising state with a lot of rainfall could capture their rain and sell it to other states, don't you think?

Here are the states annual rainfall numbers (alphabetical list):

Annual Rainfall for U.S. States
State Water Rights - The Law Behind Collecting Rainwater - Popular Mechanics

that may not always be legal...

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 AM

49,077 posts, read 39,540,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You've complete lost track of the entire thread. Let me lead you by the hand back through it.

You pointed up an example of a LOCAL industry that is well-run and serves the needs of LOCAL residents. My point was to show that for at least half of all Americans, public transport does not exist AT ALL. My comment was in support of my original conention that big business has not, in general, served the American public's need for public transport, just as it could not be expected to meet America's needs for efficient access to safe drinking water at a reasonable cost.

The people of Sycamore do not have any public transport at all, and if water distribution were left up to the same kinds of private sector priorities, they would not have any drinking water, either.

I mentioned agriculture, health care and public transport. Ive already addressed the non-existent public transport in Sycamore. Most of the farmland around Sycamore is now under the control of huge mulstimational corporations. About thalf the crop is corn, which is no longer used as a food product because the energy consortiums have outbid the grocery shoppers for that commodity. About 15% of the people in Sycamore have no health care at all, and those that do, get most of it in another city. Water, in the for-profit domain, would fare no better.

"Making America Great" does not mean, exactly, "making some americans great". America's public transport needs are not fully met by putting a bus stop sign in front of YOUR house. There are other people in this country.

Actually, Sycamore DOES has public transportation...some run by *gasp* for profit companies...they just didn't seem to have the kind YOU wanted thus launching the ill-informed tirade.

Perhaps you could sell them a mono-rail going exactly along the route you desire? Of course you need to run the line to Amboy and Fulton too.
"The Simpsons" Marge vs. the Monorail (1993)

Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,062,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

Wow! Thanks for this article. I had no idea!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:02 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,767,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, Sycamore DOES has public transportation...some run by *gasp* for profit companies...they just didn't seem to have the kind YOU wanted thus launching the ill-informed tirade.
If they do, it has come about in the past few months.

Sycamore has a taxi service, operating three metered vehicles, with a minimum fare of $7. For *gasp* profit indeed.

The last Sycamore/DeKalb bus route was discontinued due to lack of financial and governmental support. It was operated by Northern Illinois University, to facilitate students getting to the campus.

In October 2008, a new service was proposed, through the Voluntary Action Center, which specializes in transport of the disabled to medical services.

Sycamore and DeKalb have a combined population of over 50,000, extending through about a 9-mile urban strip. The University and most of the population are in DeKalb, but the county courthouse and offices are in Sycamore.

A person in DeKalb who has business in the courthouse is faced with a $22 round trip taxi fare. A small pittance compared to what they will pay someday for privatized water.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:55 PM

im sure public transport is fascinating, but can we get back on topic?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,506,716 times
Default Blue Gold: World Water Wars

Watch DivX (2009) Online Free

Yeah it's propaganda. But I think the film makes some very good (disturbing) points.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 AM

559 posts, read 1,182,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Don't worry. Big corporations will take over water, same as they have taken over things like health care and agriculture and public transportation. We can trust them to see to it that we all get plenty.
Here in NJ a French owned company controls a major water supplier. How the US could ever allow a foreign company to control water is beyond me. There are also towns that rely on well water that don't have enough water for residents but they continued to allow building in the same areas were residents had no dependable supply of water. I wouldn't doubt that natural resources will be the cause of some conflict in my life time.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,686,543 times
Never give a private investor a chance to own a monopoly. If some place wants privatized water supplies require them to provide at least three, one of them public, pipes to each house. Then let the private profit companies see just how well they do. Privatizing water is total lunacy.

I will apply the same to Western Water Law. Prior appropriation is a bad idea whose time has passed. Allocation of scarce resources is a government not a private monopoly function.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM

HowStuffWorks "Creating Water from Thin Air"

This would be cool if it could be commercialized!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or