U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 13,861,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Patriotic? I think the Constitution is a brilliant document, and it would be nice to have a government (if we really need one, and I guess most people do) that plays by its rules, but patriotism? I don't care about the flag, if that's what you mean by patriotism, which is usually what people mean by patriotism. And I don't want to hear about people who "died for the flag to keep me free". It sucks, but since the year I was born, they've done that by CHOICE. If this country is ever invaded, gimme a gun and I'll defend it, probably. This country hasn't been invaded since the War of 1812. Pearl Harbor doesn't count, because it wasn't in this country at the time. 9/11 certainly doesn't count. We weren't attacked by a sovereign nation.

I'm perched on top of the fence? Can I use that, it's actually a great analogy. In fact, I started this thread just to find people who also consider themselves above the whole stupid dogmatic left/right divide.
You verbalize what I couldn't on my best day. Really, this is my approach to life. A culmination of experiences brought me here and I can say the conformist, sheeple mentality is a huge buzz-kill.

You SURE you won't marry me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:10 AM

2,418 posts, read 4,108,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a post I agree with so wholeheartedly. You rule.

Bill Maher made similar comments a number of times, which you may enjoy, if you haven't heard them before.

Truthdig - A/V Booth - Bill Maher: Bring Back Elitism
Stop! You're making me blush.

I like Bill Maher's comedy, and I saw his religion movie, but I don't see much of him because I don't have cable. His take on elitism is new to me. Also, I'm way less smarmy than Bill Maher.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
You SURE you won't marry me?
I asked my girlfriend and she said she had to think about it. Sit tight, I'll let you know in a couple of days.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I asked my girlfriend and she said she had to think about it. Sit tight, I'll let you know in a couple of days.

Sorry. The S.O said no, I can't marry you. Should I file an appeal? If you live in Pittsburgh (or really anywhere in the Tri-State area), it might be worth it.

Seriously though, I've been thinking. The reason I consider myself part of an elite is because it seems like I'm in an exceedingly small minority that shares my worldview, and I'm convinced I'm right.

I'm still totally surprised at the responses here. It's the exact opposite of what I had expected. If I go elsewhere on this forum and say that I don't like Atlanta (for instance), I get hate mail for days.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:42 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,713,181 times
It probably became a bad word to discredit those that might question policy, great fodder for the unthinking masses. You can not manipulative informed people, and if you can make it uncool, even suspect to be an independent thinker all the better for those with an agenda that serves a narrow interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates