Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Homophobia rare or not??
Homophobia rarely if ever happens at all. Most all people are accepting and cool with Gays and Lesbians. 2 7.14%
Homophobia is not rare! It occurs in many different forms that are both covert and overt. 23 82.14%
It is all a personality conflict, has nothing to do with bias against any homosexuals. 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,883,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yeah, that's really stupid. You hear it all the time.

But I'm not sure it has as much to do with homosexuality, or homophobia, as it has to do with the juvenile vocabulary of the person saying it.

It's a little like the person who swears constantly. Do they have no other words in their vocabulary with which to speak what's on their mind?
My gay friends say "that's gay"...without even thinking about it. I mean, I think that the way people use the word gay has changed, just like the word "lame". Lame does not disparage the disabled. It is used to denote an ineffectual attempt or being subpar. I think that "gay" is in a weird gray zone. It denotes both homosexuality and being sub-par...the question herein lies whether the definitions two are connected. Like ***** (female dog) and ***** (unruly) or lame (crippled) and lame (subpar)...can it be the context is greater than the word itself? I truly don't know the answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,405,600 times
I always looked at it like.. if homophobia is soo common maybe it'd be safer not to use 'gay' in that context, ya know?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
My gay friends say "that's gay"...without even thinking about it. I mean, I think that the way people use the word gay has changed, just like the word "lame". Lame does not disparage the disabled. It is used to denote an ineffectual attempt or being subpar. I think that "gay" is in a weird gray zone. It denotes both homosexuality and being sub-par...the question herein lies whether the definitions two are connected. Like ***** (female dog) and ***** (unruly) or lame (crippled) and lame (subpar)...can it be the context is greater than the word itself? I truly don't know the answer...
I'm with you. I refuse to say, "That's so gay!" just because it seems offensive and inappropriate.

But I wonder if it's a little like another of those odd expressions I hear. I live in a black area of our city, and am always a little surprised that so many blacks refer to each other as Ni*gg*ers. It seems so wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I have no desire whatever to use that term. So it's not that I'm thinking, "If they can say it why can't I?" I just find it appalling and insulting. But don't they find it offensive - regardless of its context?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I'm with you. I refuse to say, "That's so gay!" just because it seems offensive and inappropriate.

But I wonder if it's a little like another of those odd expressions I hear. I live in a black area of our city, and am always a little surprised that so many blacks refer to each other as Ni*gg*ers. It seems so wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I have no desire whatever to use that term. So it's not that I'm thinking, "If they can say it why can't I?" I just find it appalling and insulting. But don't they find it offensive - regardless of its context?
Well.. not that you're speaking directly to me or anything (lol) but I think if you're an African-American and you're using that word.. you're not talking down to another African-American.. because there is a shared history behind that word... totally different if you're another race.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Well.. not that you're speaking directly to me or anything (lol) but I think if you're an African-American and you're using that word.. you're not talking down to another African-American.. because there is a shared history behind that word... totally different if you're another race.
Yeah, I agree.

But at it's core, there's a very real part of me that is asking, "Is it okay or not? Is it right or wrong? No justifying anything - just, is it right or wrong?"

We do weird things with the language we choose to speak, don't we?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree.

But at it's core, there's a very real part of me that is asking, "Is it okay or not? Is it right or wrong? No justifying anything - just, is it right or wrong?"

We do weird things with the language we choose to speak, don't we?
Well.. I feel very strongly that it's not ever okay but I'm not a representative for the African-American community (lol) and I'm not even an African-American. Personally.. I think if you really focused your energy on empathizing with the experiences of individuals within that community you could come close to seeing that it is in no way appropriate to use that word unless you're an African-American.. but that's just my opinion. I know some people who are from an older generation (I'm in my 30s) who feel very, very differently.. and I've read threads on here (like in the Entertainment section) where people have been very vocal about how harmless these words are.. but you know... different strokes for different folks. I can't tell you how to think or believe.. just can give ya my opinion.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Well.. I feel very strongly that it's not ever okay but I'm not a representative for the African-American community (lol) and I'm not even an African-American. Personally.. I think if you really focused your energy on empathizing with the experiences of individuals within that community you could come close to seeing that it is in no way appropriate to use that word unless you're an African-American.. but that's just my opinion. I know some people who are from an older generation (I'm in my 30s) who feel very, very differently.. and I've read threads on here (like in the Entertainment section) where people have been very vocal about how harmless these words are.. but you know... different strokes for different folks. I can't tell you how to think or believe.. just can give ya my opinion.
Yep. As I said earlier, I live in the black area of my city - and am perfectly comfortable and happy here. It REALLY seems to me that most people simply want to be treated with respect. Period. I don't need to treat my black neighbors any different than my white neighbors. I need to treat them all well, and with respect.

None of us are truly color-blind, so we don't need to make believe we are. But we can be decent to each other.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Yep. As I said earlier, I live in the black area of my city - and am perfectly comfortable and happy here. It REALLY seems to me that most people simply want to be treated with respect. Period. I don't need to treat my black neighbors any different than my white neighbors. I need to treat them all well, and with respect.

None of us are truly color-blind, so we don't need to make believe we are. But we can be decent to each other.
Well.. I don't want to hog the thread but I'd like to see that 'decent' increased to 'respect'. I can be decent to my neighbor's dog but I don't respect him.. but there I go playing with words again

Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Well.. I don't want to hog the thread but I'd like to see that 'decent' increased to 'respect'. I can be decent to my neighbor's dog but I don't respect him.. but there I go playing with words again
Basically I was meaning the exact same thing. Be good to each other - not because you're black or what, but just because you are. That's about all.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,859,471 times
Just on the terminology thing I once watched a reality show here called The Block, the premise being 4 couples were each given an apartment in a block of 4 and they each had a budget with which to renovate their apartment and at the end of the series it was put to a vote as to which apartment was the winner.

Anyway there was a gay couple in one of the series and a heterosexual couple who over the course of the show developed issues with each other culminating in a really nasty argument where the female of the heterosexual couple responded as part of the argument with a long tirade at the end of which she spat out "because I don't like you, girlfriend".

Now she never used the word gay, her whole argument was based on issues to do with the show and the renovations but there was more hatred, and I felt homophobia, just in that last word than she would ever have managed to convey using the word gay or f** and the word girlfriend stood out as harsher and nastier than the rest of the statement, "I don't like you" simply because of how she said it.

I guess for me it's not about the words or the terms because people will show their bias and hatred with perfectly ordinary words if they are so inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates