U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Homophobia rare or not??
Homophobia rarely if ever happens at all. Most all people are accepting and cool with Gays and Lesbians. 2 7.14%
Homophobia is not rare! It occurs in many different forms that are both covert and overt. 23 82.14%
It is all a personality conflict, has nothing to do with bias against any homosexuals. 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
miu

16,475 posts, read 33,447,811 times

Advertisements

That's too generalized a question imo. It really depends on your location. Since gays tend to congregate in urban areas, there is less homophobia in major cities than in rural areas. Then even within an urban area, it depends on the demographics of each block. If there are a lot of black or Hispanic families living there, then being gay will be less acceptable. That also would go for a neighborhood populated by mostly Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:09 PM

706 posts, read 3,358,060 times
[quote=miu;8102704]...It really depends on your location. Since gays tend to congregate in urban areas, there is less homophobia in major cities than in rural areas. Then even within an urban area, it depends on the demographics of each block. If there are a lot of black or Hispanic families living there, then being gay will be less acceptable..../quote]

What makes you say that miu?

I don't agree with that at all.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 AM

727 posts, read 1,651,690 times
Ok I have a question for anyone that can answer? Whats the difference between Homophobia and just not liking gay people. Me personally I'm straight but I get along with the gay community and have friends in the gay community. I just don't get the difference between hating gays and Homophobia! Help?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,569,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
There are several types of people out there. Those who feel their point of view is the ONLY point of view and that anybody who feels otherwise is wrong. These types of folk are generally the least tolerant towards homosexuals.

Then there are those who don't like them but worry too much about committing social suicide and keep their views to themselves.

Finally, there are those that have no trouble with gays. I am one of those people, provided they don't hit on me. I believe that people are born the way they are and if they're happy, who am I to judge?
This attitude also describes those who are intolerant of "homophobes" and are quick to call them such.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM

9,174 posts, read 16,536,426 times
Homophobia is a strange word. It's the ONLY "phobia" I know of that doesn't denote fear. With the current meaning of the word, I don't know but what I might be a bit homophobic myself. Somebody tell me.

I've got nothing against gay couples except when I see them kissing, etc., but I do find that a little "uncomfortable" -- more so than I would a straight couple doing the same thing. I think they should be allowed to marry and enjoy their lives like any hetro couple would; I have no objection to them being gay; I just don't care to witness the sexual side of it. The thought of two guys having sex together is just a total turn-off to me. Lesbians don't bother me in the same way. I can relate to that.

My wife and I had invited her gay nephew and his new partner to join us on a camping trip this summer. (He just "came out" a year or so ago, although my wife says she's always known he was gay.) We were a little disappointed last week when we learned that they wouldn't be able to join us, but I commented to her, mostly in jest, that I wasn't looking forward to hearing their tent rustling in the night anyway. I got "the look."

So, am I homophobic?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM

19,283 posts, read 20,169,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Homophobia is a strange word. It's the ONLY "phobia" I know of that doesn't denote fear. With the current meaning of the word, I don't know but what I might be a bit homophobic myself. Somebody tell me.

I've got nothing against gay couples except when I see them kissing, etc., but I do find that a little "uncomfortable" -- more so than I would a straight couple doing the same thing. I think they should be allowed to marry and enjoy their lives like any hetro couple would; I have no objection to them being gay; I just don't care to witness the sexual side of it. The thought of two guys having sex together is just a total turn-off to me. Lesbians don't bother me in the same way. I can relate to that.

My wife and I had invited her gay nephew and his new partner to join us on a camping trip this summer. (He just "came out" a year or so ago, although my wife says she's always known he was gay.) We were a little disappointed last week when we learned that they wouldn't be able to join us, but I commented to her, mostly in jest, that I wasn't looking forward to hearing their tent rustling in the night anyway. I got "the look."

So, am I homophobic?
You raise good points here. The term "homophobic", which traditionally was defined as "fear of sameness" or "fear of becoming homosexual" has been co-opted for political reasons and changed to "disagreeing with the views of politically active homosexual-rights advocates" and "making what are perceived as politically incorrect reamarks about homosexuals."

This should be neither surprising nor a cause for limitations on the freedom of expression of thoughtful people. It is simply the predictable mimicry of the tactics of early feminists and African-American race-baiters who twisted the terms "sexism" and "racism" to make them applicable only to the expressions of perceived prejudice that they alone were allowed to determine, while ignoring their own bigotry toward themselves and others.

In other words, the rerm "homphobia" is a rhetorical weapon wielded by linguisitc crypto-fascists to belittle the views of the easily intimidated, and to gain the political upper hand. It is thus best taken with a generous dollop of skepticism, combined with regret that the user has not evolved beyond fatuous name-calling.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,333,349 times
Completely disagree, you need to look up the definition of homophobia. It varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You raise good points here. The term "homophobic", which traditionally was defined as "fear of sameness" or "fear of becoming homosexual" has been co-opted for political reasons and changed to "disagreeing with the views of politically active homosexual-rights advocates" and "making what are perceived as politically incorrect reamarks about homosexuals."

This should be neither surprising nor a cause for limitations on the freedom of expression of thoughtful people. It is simply the predictable mimicry of the tactics of early feminists and African-American race-baiters who twisted the terms "sexism" and "racism" to make them applicable only to the expressions of perceived prejudice that they alone were allowed to determine, while ignoring their own bigotry toward themselves and others.

In other words, the rerm "homphobia" is a rhetorical weapon wielded by linguisitc crypto-fascists to belittle the views of the easily intimidated, and to gain the political upper hand. It is thus best taken with a generous dollop of skepticism, combined with regret that the user has not evolved beyond fatuous name-calling.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 PM

19,283 posts, read 20,169,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Completely disagree, you need to look up the definition of homophobia. It varies.
I have "looked it up." I view the recent political demi-revisions with dismay. Hence, my post.

Feel free to disagree away. A retionale for doing so would be helpful, however.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM

857 posts, read 1,229,449 times
Its called homophobia not because the person is scared of other homosexuals but because that person is scared they are homosexual themselves. So they feel is though if they push it as far away as possible it will not be able to affect them. In my experience the guys that were the most homophobic also seemed to have the most homosexual tendencies, anybody else notice this??

Side question: are there female homophobes or is it strictly a male phenomenon?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,333,349 times
yes I've seen women get rude and nasty with me before they even know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Its called homophobia not because the person is scared of other homosexuals but because that person is scared they are homosexual themselves. So they feel is though if they push it as far away as possible it will not be able to affect them. In my experience the guys that were the most homophobic also seemed to have the most homosexual tendencies, anybody else notice this??

Side question: are there female homophobes or is it strictly a male phenomenon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates