U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you're going to be using tax dollars to eat, there should be some provisions on what foods you can buy. Fruits and vegetables have to make up a certain percentage of your total and if you exceed the "junk food" percentage, you have to pay for it out of your own pocket. I know the government can't make you work out but at the very least if you're going to be on government funds buying food...eat healthy so we're not paying your huge medical bills too.
Now you want to legislate what food people can buy? I know people that have recently lost their jobs and are temporarily on food stamps and many elderly qualify for 15-20$ per month because their SS benifits are so low. You think because someone lost their job and you didnt you the right to dictate what foods they get. Why not just give them dog food. Its cheap and nutritious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I think the base problem is too few of us own enough of the machinery that is doing the work so we do not get a portion of the wealth created by the machines. This concentrates the wealth created into the ownership class. This is exacerbated by the Ronnie Raygun upper bracket tax cuts. These things have created the real welfare class in our country.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Btw -
Dog and cat food are not cheap. Rice is cheap. Wheat flour is cheap. Protein, dairy and vegetables are not cheap.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:58 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Now you want to legislate what food people can buy? I know people that have recently lost their jobs and are temporarily on food stamps and many elderly qualify for 15-20$ per month because their SS benifits are so low. You think because someone lost their job and you didnt you the right to dictate what foods they get. Why not just give them dog food. Its cheap and nutritious?
Well, my dog's food is definitely NOT cheap.... and cheap dog food is definitely NOT nutritious.

Let's put it this way, if I was broke and borrowed money from my dad he sure as HELL would make sure I spent it on something that was required and not a luxury. If I went out and bought a bunch of soft drinks for $3 a liter as opposed to water which I can get for .65 a gallon he wouldn't be too happy.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM

A 50lb bag of dog food 25.00$ would last one person all month. Healthier than chips and soda.
You can get water for free from the faucet.
Maybe we should ration the FS as well so the big moochers dont eat too much. Just allow them to spend 8$ a day.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Hey, I have a better idea. Thousands of unwanted pets are euthunized daily. Lets skin them out and feed them to the FS receipients. Stores throw out lots of outdated produce too! Restaraunt scraps?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
Quote:
Hey, I have a better idea. Thousands of unwanted pets are euthunized daily. Lets skin them out and feed them to the FS receipients. Stores throw out lots of outdated produce too! Restaraunt scraps?
Mmmm, cat...the other other white meat.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:57 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, my dog's food is definitely NOT cheap.... and cheap dog food is definitely NOT nutritious.

Let's put it this way, if I was broke and borrowed money from my dad he sure as HELL would make sure I spent it on something that was required and not a luxury. If I went out and bought a bunch of soft drinks for $3 a liter as opposed to water which I can get for .65 a gallon he wouldn't be too happy.
I'd be pretty unhappy if you wasted .65 a gallon on something that falls out of the sky.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Stores throw out lots of outdated produce too! Restaraunt scraps?
Sounds great, but in the real world the logistics are a nightmare. Who's going to deliver all the outdated produce and restaurant "scraps" (mmmm you make it sound so yummy ) to places where people who are unemployed/on welfare/on disability can access it? Who will ensure the food is safely handled and distributed? How will you determine who can have the food, and how much?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Distribute it like the gov. commodities or soup kitchen lines to those who have FS cards. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates