U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 02:14 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times

Advertisements

Are we not all footing the bill for each other? Are they not taking taxes out of all of our checks, for what is supposed to be for the well-being of all of us? At what point can I tell you how to live your life and vice versa?

we have to be careful we're not thrown off these high horses we're on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I believe adults have the right to live as they please. But NOT once you ask me to foot the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:19 PM

6,940 posts, read 8,875,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Off topic, but of interest....

I worked at Home Depot for a couple years as a manager and we used to throw away a ridiculous amount of perfectly good doors, windows, molding, appliances etc etc because we weren't allowed to donate them. Apparently a family a few years back sued Home Depot because a donated window they installed wasn't sealed properly and gave their kid pnemonia. Mind you, this window was given free of charge and was not installed by anyone affiliated with HD.

Maybe if people didn't sue at the drop of a hat more things could be donated.
It's sad that the current laws force judges to take cases like that seriously. Why doesn't the hospital sue the parents for being too clueless to prevent the child from sleeping in an ice-cold room, this forcing them to eat maybe thousands of dollars in treatment for an uninsured family?

This also reminds of of a co-worker who's moved to Finland. She told me that newborns sleep outside on the balconies all winter to strengthen their lungs. When she told me that all I could imagine was the overprotective, lawsuit-happy mothers of America, all crapping themselves at once over the level of child abuse in Finland.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,605,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
People requesting welfare assistance are not asking for the 80K to match the people out in the country club suburbs, not even the 40K median income of all Americans. They are just asking for 10K or so, which would enable them to have basic nutrition and shelter and dignity. Why do we begrudge them even that?

If they refuse to work or do anything to better themselves I sure as heck resent it. I owe no one other than my immediate family NOTHING.

You won't work or think you are owed something and want a handout you can starve to death for all I care and I'll do a *** on your grave. I'm sick and tired of being at the supermarket behind someone paying for $300 worth of junk with "the welfare card" and then waddle out to their $30K SUV.

Same goes for the morons who so badly mismanaged their companies that they now need bailout money yet still feel they are entitled to multi million dollar bonuses. Some of these pompous turds need to be the guests of honor at an old fashion old west necktie party.

Lets take all of these people leeching off of us and dump em in some remote area and let them sink or swim on their own.... without any government assistance. Alaska or perhaps Death Valley sounds like a good spot.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
If they refuse to work or do anything to better themselves I sure as heck resent it. I owe no one other than my immediate family NOTHING.

You won't work or think you are owed something and want a handout you can starve to death for all I care and I'll do a *** on your grave. I'm sick and tired of being at the supermarket behind someone paying for $300 worth of junk with "the welfare card" and then waddle out to their $30K SUV.

Same goes for the morons who so badly mismanaged their companies that they now need bailout money yet still feel they are entitled to multi million dollar bonuses. Some of these pompous turds need to be the guests of honor at an old fashion old west necktie party.

Lets take all of these people leeching off of us and dump em in some remote area and let them sink or swim on their own.... without any government assistance. Alaska or perhaps Death Valley sounds like a good spot.
I hate to tell you this, Sunshine, but you can still qualify for public assistance in either Death Valley or Alaska.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Quote:
I'm sick and tired of being at the supermarket behind someone paying for $300 worth of junk with "the welfare card" and then waddle out to their $30K SUV.
Before passing judgement too harshly, remember in this economy many have lost jobs and/or taken reductions in pay/hours, some may be going thru divorce or sudden illnesses or are elderly living off SS. Not everyone receiving assistance refuses to work or will receive assistance long term. I know your frustration because I know some people who leech off the system and are young and able to work, but recently I am seeing people who have worked all their life fall on hard times and need a little help. These same people have been paying taxes for years.

Lets fix the abuse in the ill-managed system instead of crucifying those truely in need.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Sue happy America for you, better to waste it then feed the hungry.

Yeah, that's a shame isn't it?

But you that some lawyer somewhere would have the nerve to sue some supermarket over something like that. I'm sure Sharpton or Jackson would show up and charge racism if it was white bread also and demand a few million.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM

There are systems in place to report welfare fraud, people. Feel free to use them at any time. But 2mares is very right: a lot of people are living in those SUVs right now.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
There are systems in place to report welfare fraud, people. Feel free to use them at any time. But 2mares is very right: a lot of people are living in those SUVs right now.

I've reported welfare fraud on numerous ocassions, on the phone and by email and nothing has been done. The examples I've brought up happened looooong before this recession happened. People working under the table at vineyards who can also apply for foodstamps/welfare. They can also get section 8 and have most of their rent paid. Maybe it's rare in your area, but it's rampant in mine considering we have very prolific vineyards.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've reported welfare fraud on numerous ocassions, on the phone and by email and nothing has been done. The examples I've brought up happened looooong before this recession happened. People working under the table at vineyards who can also apply for foodstamps/welfare. They can also get section 8 and have most of their rent paid. Maybe it's rare in your area, but it's rampant in mine considering we have very prolific vineyards.
There are under-the-table jobs everywhere, are you kidding?

If nothing was done when you reported the welfare fraud, maybe it turned out that they weren't committing welfare fraud, did that ever occur to you?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Before passing judgement too harshly, remember in this economy many have lost jobs and/or taken reductions in pay/hours, some may be going thru divorce or sudden illnesses or are elderly living off SS. Not everyone receiving assistance refuses to work or will receive assistance long term. I know your frustration because I know some people who leech off the system and are young and able to work, but recently I am seeing people who have worked all their life fall on hard times and need a little help. These same people have been paying taxes for years.

Lets fix the abuse in the ill-managed system instead of crucifying those truely in need.

I agree. We need to help those unable to care for themselves. Children, the disabled, the elderly, the chronically ill (SERIOUS ONLY) all need our help. I'm also fine with providing a short term safety net to get you back on your feet for all of us when things go south.

That being said, I want some stiff penalties for welfare fraud, both on an individual and corporate level. Stiff as in YEARS in prison breaking rocks.

I also want welfare recipients drug tested.

They should also have to attend some kind of job training program or if applicable GED classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates