U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-20-2009, 02:59 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,082,292 times
Reputation: 14878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, but the conservatives could not come into the liberal zones, where all the hookers are, because they would have to ride busses. No Lexuses allowed.
Considering the record of conservatives and hookers, I would think that this would be an area that you should avoid.

But in case you forgot:

Jimmy Swaggart

John Paulk

Ted Haggard

Coy Privette

Rep. Robert Bauman

Sen. David Vitter
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,079 posts, read 5,425,125 times
Reputation: 3135
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Some good thoughts so far...

My personal opinion:

1. Disability criteria needs to be tightened. Someone who has a severe enough disability that they absolutely cannot work at all should be eligible for benefits. Someone who cannot work very much should be eligible for reduced benefits if they work as much as they can. If I understand correctly, there are tons of people out there on disability who shouldn't be.

2. If an unmarried woman receiving any type of welfare has already had two children, she should be required to be sterilized as a condition of any additional benefits. Another option would be to simply start taking kids away if parents are making no effort to provide for them.

3. Unemployment needs to be limited to relatively short periods. Ideally, I'd like to see a system where employers stop paying into a separate unemployment fund and benefits are simply provided through regular taxes.

4. Drug testing must be required as a condition of receiving ANY type of benefits.

5. There needs to be more investigation to ensure that people receiving benefits are not working under the table. If they are, they need to be punished severely.

As far as corporate welfare and bailing out companies, that would create a lot of people who are unemployed. Long-term it may work out, but short-term it would cause a disaster. I'm not sure how to solve that.
I agree with this outline.

And as for the bolded and as someone who works for the "system" it's harsh but I completely co-sign.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Reputation: 35881
You would spend more public funds policeing the system, than you will save by weeding out some abusers. It's called the law of diminishing returns.

I hope they days are gone forever when we are offered greeting cards painted by armless men with a brush held in their toes because they "can" work and are therefore expected to earn their living. Or blind men standing out in showstorms earning their living selling pencils on the street.

It required specific legislation to force employers to hire workers with ANY disability, without you demanding that the handicapped go out and commute to work every morning in a wheelchair because they are capable of licking envelopes.

Welcome to the New America, where an army of millions of secret police at appropriate pay grade are scouring the country looking for women with too many babies, disabled people who can wash their own dishes, analyzing tens of millions of pee samples every month, or watching a neighbor's kids after school for five bucks. To make sure the number of people falling through the cracks is absolute zero.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-20-2009 at 04:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,482,541 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You would spend more public funds policeing the system, than you will save by weeding out some abusers. It's called the law of diminishing returns.

I hope they days are gone forever when we are offered greeting cards painted by armless men with a brush held in their toes because they "can" work and are therefore expected to earn their living. Or blind men standing out in showstorms earning their living selling pencils on the street.

It required specific legislation to force employers to hire workers with ANY disability, without you demanding that the handicapped go out and commute to work every morning in a wheelchair because they are capable of licking envelopes.

Welcome to the New America, where an army of millions of secret police at appropriate pay grade are scouring the country looking for women with too many babies, disabled people who can wash their own dishes, analyzing tens of millions of pee samples every month, or watching a neighbor's kids after school for five bucks. To make sure the number of people falling through the cracks is absolute zero.
...says the guy who is unemployed and living off the government.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM
 
96 posts, read 262,239 times
Reputation: 83
Exactly
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,482,541 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Considering the record of conservatives and hookers, I would think that this would be an area that you should avoid.
But in case you forgot:

Jimmy Swaggart
John Paulk
Ted Haggard
Coy Privette
Rep. Robert Bauman
Sen. David Vitter
Am I missing something, or did you only mention 6 guys? Of the 100 million or more conservative Americans, you're able to come up with 6 guys? If it's as you claim, I'd think you should be able to come up with about 6 million guys, not 6.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 02:31 PM
 
1,121 posts, read 543,355 times
Reputation: 1507
[QUOTE

Should the government reward women for repeatedly having children as a means of getting more benefits...or do we have an obligation to provide the benefits for the sake of the kids?

More kids= more future democrat voters
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 PM
 
645 posts, read 1,069,204 times
Reputation: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you think our government should provide handouts to those who cannot work, do not make enough to support themselves and their families, or simply choose not to work? What about to those who have been laid off?

Should the government reward women for repeatedly having children as a means of getting more benefits...or do we have an obligation to provide the benefits for the sake of the kids?

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Under what circumstances do you think handouts are acceptable, if any? And what type of assistance should be provided?
I think that the government should stick to regulating business and making our nation the friendliest place on earth to conduct business while shutting off the flow of imports from countries who use unfair business practices.

Since they learned so much from Dr. Goebbels after the war, the federal, state, and local governments should shift their propaganda campaign from the lies they're currently perpetuating to telling people just how many lives they're destroying because they (you reading this) buys foreign products, subsidizes huge franchises, and other monopolies.

If people bought local goods, then shifted to things made within their state, and then country, most of those "able bodied" welfare slugs would have a job to go to.

Until the aforementioned is done, discussing the symptoms of the problem doesn't solve or address one thing. Once domestic and local production's restored, I'll gladly discuss the Ponzi scheme of welfare and Social Security.

Thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 AM
 
Location: mid wyoming
1,986 posts, read 5,868,625 times
Reputation: 1815
I lived some time with a family of welfare kids across the street. While the momma pranced men in and out and the girls had to watch this and defend themselves against the "uncles". Out of the 5 daughters of which I have been in contact through out my life. Two went on to complete the cycle of welfare and had daddy-less kids and mooched off the system, one played her cards right and had a house paid for by you and me and then sold it for a hefty $191,000.00 about 16 years ago,all profit in her pocket. She also "went" to college several time over the years and never went past the first two months, why? That is how long it took to get the whole student grants and non pay back money sometimes many thousands of dollars, she also sold the books welfare bought for her. She did this 4 times for sure and I think 3 more. She also had two of her four kids declared medical indignants and got extra money for this.
The second welfare momma had several "accidents" or was associated with accidents at retail stores, she sued them for medical and other damages to her. The best one was a major grocery chain, got $88,000.00 check and disability for life, she also had one where her sister fell off her deck at her trailer house and then sued her insurance company and won. I am sure they didn't split the money or anything.
The other three girls married good men and went on the work jobs, get a education or votech skills and lead productive lives. So I guess two out of three didn't learn, or did they????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Down the rabbit hole
847 posts, read 893,463 times
Reputation: 2657
There will be abusers in any system. However that does not mean that you throw the baby out with the bathwater. The only people in the welfare system that make the news or the rumor rounds are the ones that get caught abusing the system. You seldom hear the story of the mother of two young children who works and goes to nursing school at the same time while getting food stamps and subsidized housing. Those are the people that the system exists to help.

When things go as they should, the system works by providing a financial cushion so a young woman like that has the opportunity to graduate, acquire a well paying job and become an taxpaying citizen. By denying someone like that financial aid or just throwing her crumbs, she'll never have the opportunity to better her lot in life and forever remain at the bottom of the ladder because she'll be too busy doing whatever she has to do to survive.

In many instances, welfare shouldn't be looked at as a "handout", it should be viewed as an investment in the country's future. You'll never weed out the abusers without massive government oversight any more than you can weed out corrupt politicians, wall street insiders, doctors taking kickbacks or a thousand other examples of human greed. Unfortunately, it's human nature, Wherever there is the opportunity to get something for nothing, there will always be a certain percentage of the population ready to take advantage of the situation.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top