U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,893,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm not so afraid of when the world runs out of crude as I am of when the Middle East just decides they don't want to sell it to us any longer.
They'd be cutting their own throats, unless by that time China has built enough 700-story parking garages to make it possible for everyone there to own a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 PM

44,662 posts, read 43,174,514 times
I don't know how much oil is left in the USA or the world for that matter. I don't know what all the oil companies, but I know there is something fishy going on and I am not convinced that oil is a renewable resource. Something I would suggest is find a way to perfect all of the alternative energy sources we can get to, especially the electric car. There has to be a way to make the battery last longer. Perhaps a solar-electric, and find a way to perfect the solar panels.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 AM

830 posts, read 2,507,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As for the oil problem. Too bad. Keep driving your monster trucks and SUV's. Keep living wastefully. And then whine about it. Makes sense, no? (speaking generally, not to you specifically)
Indeed. Someone buys a $60,000 SUV that gets 10 mpg, but yet its someone else's fault they can't afford to fill the tank. Cry me a river so I can swim in it.

Even more interesting are recent auto sales. Auto sales as a whole are down significantly, but interestingly enough, in these "green" times we are living in, hybrid sales, including the Prius, are down much more significantly than the average.

Automotive News, a trade publication, had a good article recently. They interviewed some dealerships that said a year ago, when the economy was better and gas was more expensive, they couldn't keep a Prius on the lot. Now, with both gas prices and the economy down, they have over 100 days of supply of Priuses, hybrid Civics, etc. So much for being green.

Another interesting tidbit is that Honda said they have made very little money on hybrid sales, and Toyota, after a decade of Prius sales, just started making money on them. So those "green" hybrid drivers should give a big shoutout to all of the gas-guzzling SUV buyers for supporting the research and development and ultimate production of your green car. Because without that funding the hybrids wouldn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The real losers will be the mid-east oil producers. That's the only thing they have that's worth a damn to the rest of the world (unless they can get a car to run on sand and dust). Oh well.
Well, they have plenty of sand. They could always make glass. :-)

Old 04-10-2009, 09:27 AM

830 posts, read 2,507,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
They'd be cutting their own throats, unless by that time China has built enough 700-story parking garages to make it possible for everyone there to own a car.

I wonder how long it would take to drive to the top of a 700-story parking garage? Imagine the ticket line to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates