U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2009, 02:49 PM

1,245 posts, read 806,750 times
Because cigarettes are a luxury item you don't need to live, unlike food.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 03:33 PM

72 posts, read 185,914 times
Default McDonalds = Bad!!!

The foods that American's eat these days can hardly be considered necessary to survive. Just last night, I went on a late night McDonalds run with 2 of my friends (both are extremely overweight). I wasn't going to order anything because fast food disgusts me, but I figured I would go for the ride. She ordered a double cheeseburger with fries and he ordered 2 fried fish sandwiches. Those foods are not necessary for life! In fact, they are killing whoever eats them.

After they were done eating, they both said something though that caught me off guard and makes sense. They both said they would eat healthier if it was more affordable. It takes half as much money to buy something fattening rather than something healthy. There appears to be something wrong with this picture. I would totally vote for increased taxes on fattening foods. Unfortunately, most Americans would not.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:33 PM

14,184 posts, read 7,580,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Because cigarettes are a luxury item you don't need to live, unlike food.
Sodas, coffee, donuts, potato chips, candy, etc. are things you don't need to live as well.

In many states, all food is exempt from even regular sales taxes. This needs to go. Limit it only to vegetables, fruits, bread, meat, eggs, cereal (not sugary cereals), yogurt, cheese, juice (real juice...not the sugary crap), and milk.

All the snack items, sodas, coffee, etc. should have reguar sales taxes.

Items such as fried foods, chips, cookies, etc. (maybe you could also throw sodas in here) should have a higher than normal tax.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:42 PM

8,444 posts, read 9,441,019 times
Let's not leave the beer drinkers out of this..

Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM

72 posts, read 185,914 times
Also, I think the social correctness revolving around obesity is a serious issue and needs to go. There is no social correctness revolving around tobacco. No one is afraid to tell a smoker they are killing themselves or that it is nasty to smoke, but everyone seems too afraid of reminding people of their weight problems.

I'm one of those "oh so mean fit people" that is not afraid to tell others of their weight problems. I actually just told that to one of my friends two nights ago. He is a handsome guy, but he weighs over 200 pounds (and its not muscle, its fat) and when he asked me how he looked physically, I told him the truth. He was taken aback, and upset for about 5 minutes, but he then resolved to start going to the gym to get rid of his gut. After hearing that, I felt I had done him a service.

I think that if more people were reminded, face to face, about their weight problems, then they would be more inclined to lose weight.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 PM

21,878 posts, read 16,692,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Just re-watched an Old south park and it made me want to post a new question.

Now I can understand banning smoking in public places for 2nd hand smoke reasons, but why is it we are allowed to put ludicrous taxes on tobacco? People say we need to stop people from harming themselves and let them live longer by not smoking, but couldn't that same logic be applied to obesity??? Shouldn't we be adding taxes to foods that have a fat content over x grams of fat so we can stop fat people from harming themselves??? Obesity and smoking are both known to cause numerous health risks, so why is smoking evil while nobody says anything about being obese? And you can argue smoking is addicting and peddles to kids but I would say McDonalds does just about the same thing only its food is not addictive.
You know, I had to ASK at the butcher in the supermarket today, to sell me meat that didn't have all of the fat trimmed off. I had to ask. They looked perplexed because now we have supermarkets micromanaging our eating behavior.

So for all of the people who I hope will be offended:

I propose adding an extra tax on city bus fare to encourage urbanites not to take public transportation. I also propose a tax on taxicab owners who don't pick up passengers and sometimes their luggage in one of those itty bitty clown cars that are "energy efficient."

I propose a tax on the people of "Cape Cod" including the Kennedys who don't want wind turbines near them. Ditto Ms Feinstein and her solar panels and who thinks solar energy is great as long as solar panel farms aren't in her neighborhood. Maybe a hefty hit in the wallet will alter their behavior.

I propose an extra tax on politicians who fly in private jets. If the three automakers are chastized for taking taxpayer money and fling on private jets how do US Senators fly and aren't taxpayers paying their salaries?

I propose a high federal tax on sanctuary cities that encourage illegal immigration since illegal immigration sucks the American taxpayers dry with entitlements, healthcare, schools, police, jails, etc. If the city doesn't conform, the Obama administration will send Timothy Geithner in to fire the mayor and the Police Commissioner. On that same subject, let's tax the guys who pick up day laborers to alter their behavior.

I also propose a high tax on any city that refuses to let the military recruit there. Lets tax them for failing to contribute to the adequate defense of our country. If they don't conform and pay up, Timothy Geithner will come in and fire the mayor.

Then there should be a tax on married johns who are caught and people with STDs who continue to have sex and pass the STD on. Maybe we could send them to re-education camps, too. I'm waiting for the Obama administration to put re-education camps in his education budget. We can call it Re-education Contingency Operation instead of STD Camp so the Obama Czar of Phraseology will be pleased and none of the diseased people will have their feelings hurt.

Then there should be an extra tax on newspaper purchases because it encourages the cutting down of trees...and the tax should be higher for the Sunday edition. If the newspaper publishers start jumping out of windows, we can refer them to that new Obama depression website.

I would also like to see people hit with a big tax who refuse to evacuate during a major storm to pay for the expense of rescuing them so we don't have to use taxpayer dollars.

I would like to see an Ivy League tax to force Harvard, Yale and their compadres to share their wealth with local community colleges. If those rich cats don't pay up, Timothy Geithner will come in and fire the chancellor, deans and all of the professors. Okay, maybe for the professors he'll just adjust their pay for how much time they actually spend teaching.

Let's have an extra tax on households on welfare and who have more than one TV set to alter that behavior.

Then anyone with a DUI should have to pay an extra tax when they renew their registration as an annual reminder that they need to alter their drinking and driving behavior.

Then lets add a tax on parents who allow their little kids to run amok. Since we'll be living in a nanny state, maybe the Obama administration can also establish the Department of Nannies, headed by a nanny czar, to police the behavior of children, wipe their butts for them and you know, raise them in a one world order institution.

I propose a tax on the Obama administration if they fail to set a timeline for leaving Afghanistan.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM

41,037 posts, read 43,496,185 times
It could be applied to alcohol;drugs as well as traffic violations.All cause alot of deaths ;injuries and cost alot of money out of things like medical cost.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM

6,611 posts, read 8,404,609 times
I propose we tax everyone and everything.

Nevermind. I guess we're already doing that.

I propose we tax everyone except me. And you, of course.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 AM

706 posts, read 2,408,996 times
Not that I agree with the idea, but isn't there a way to measure "body fat"?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,733,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Just re-watched an Old south park and it made me want to post a new question.
Now I can understand banning smoking in public places for 2nd hand smoke reasons, but why is it we are allowed to put ludicrous taxes on tobacco? People say we need to stop people from harming themselves and let them live longer by not smoking, but couldn't that same logic be applied to obesity??? Shouldn't we be adding taxes to foods that have a fat content over x grams of fat so we can stop fat people from harming themselves??? Obesity and smoking are both known to cause numerous health risks, so why is smoking evil while nobody says anything about being obese? And you can argue smoking is addicting and peddles to kids but I would say McDonalds does just about the same thing only its food is not addictive.
You cannot put food and tobacco in the same taxable bracket no matter what you say. We don't need tobacco to live but we do need food to live and regardless of fat content in McDonald's, Burger King, or any of the others, that might be all some people can afford to eat to keep alive. Sad but true. To say for one second that food is not addictive in any shape or form is wrong...tell that to someone who had peaked at 800 pounds (woman on Oprah not too long ago).

I think a food addiction is far worse than any tobacco addiction because you simply can't stop eating, but you simply CAN stop smoking. I quit smoking 2 years ago...best thing I ever did. I had smoked for well over 20 years and what got me to quit or even consider it was reading online about the over 500 chemicals that go into making cigarettes the one catching my eye being ARSENIC.

Yes, yes, yes, tax cigarettes if it means it will save lives and regulate more closely what goes into our food. Do not tax food so it becomes impossible for low income people to eat healthy...does not make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates