U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 AM

10,964 posts, read 15,562,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgadams View Post
The foods that American's eat these days can hardly be considered necessary to survive. Just last night, I went on a late night McDonalds run with 2 of my friends (both are extremely overweight). I wasn't going to order anything because fast food disgusts me, but I figured I would go for the ride. She ordered a double cheeseburger with fries and he ordered 2 fried fish sandwiches. Those foods are not necessary for life! In fact, they are killing whoever eats them.

After they were done eating, they both said something though that caught me off guard and makes sense. They both said they would eat healthier if it was more affordable. It takes half as much money to buy something fattening rather than something healthy. There appears to be something wrong with this picture. I would totally vote for increased taxes on fattening foods. Unfortunately, most Americans would not.
Boy if that isn't the truth..FRESH fruits & veggies the average family can't afford them..it's cheaper to give the kiddos some chips & oreos...the leaner heathier cuts of meat..forget about it.

I try very hard to feed hubbie & I fresh healthy foods and I spend well over $100 a week for just two people..to do so...the average family with a couple of kids can't afford it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 AM

14,428 posts, read 8,101,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Boy if that isn't the truth..FRESH fruits & veggies the average family can't afford them..it's cheaper to give the kiddos some chips & oreos...the leaner heathier cuts of meat..forget about it.

I try very hard to feed hubbie & I fresh healthy foods and I spend well over $100 a week for just two people..to do so...the average family with a couple of kids can't afford it
The govt should provide some type of assistance to make the healthy foods cheaper. Quite frankly, I think it would be a very legitimate use of taxpayers' money since we've determined that obesity is a public health crisis.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 AM

28,114 posts, read 23,778,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

What a bunch of hooey. You people don't know how to shop? People keep saying this - it is patently untrue.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM

25,438 posts, read 31,957,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
In many states, all food is exempt from even regular sales taxes. This needs to go. Limit it only to vegetables, fruits, bread, meat, eggs, cereal (not sugary cereals), yogurt, cheese, juice (real juice...not the sugary crap), and milk.
Why not whittle it down even further? Eliminate white bread, white rice, white flour ... None of those things are healthy. What about yogurt with "sugary crap" added, or cheese that's not really chese and is made out of oil and a bunch of chemicals? Vegetables ... iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value, and potatoes send your blood sugar zooming. Do we tax those, too?

Where are you drawing the line?

Quote:
All the snack items, sodas, coffee, etc. should have reguar sales taxes.
How does coffee contribute to obesity? That is still the topic here, right?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM

857 posts, read 854,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
i don't think people are really understanding the point of this thread. I am not making this an advocation of what to do about obesity, i can tell from the other thread that the argument does not go anywhere. What i am asking is how we can justify our contempt for a product that helped found this country? I understand about the health risks but smoking everyday is probably just as bad if not better than eating fast food every day. I mean one can cause lung cancer the other can lead to a heart attack, both can be fatal so whats the difference??? Why is one ostracized from society while the other is completely acceptable?

this is not the obesity thread, save your talk of food cost for that thread.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM

10,964 posts, read 15,562,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What a bunch of hooey. You people don't know how to shop? People keep saying this - it is patently untrue.
No it's not hooey....freakin 99 cents for ONE orange..$1.50 for ONE avocado puhleeze and I'm not buying fruit or veggies already over ripe because thet are cheaper...don't save anything there if I have to throw them out.

Since you think it's patently untrue please share your secrets

Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 AM

28,114 posts, read 23,778,550 times
Hm, nj...this may be a factor of where you live. I can get a bag of nice oranges at the Whole Foods for five bucks. Last week I bought a bag of apples (again, organic, Whole Foods) for $3.99. Blackberries were 5 boxes for 5 dollars this weekend.

Frozen veggies are also really, really cheap. Four servings for 99 cents on most occasions.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,849,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
We established already that people can get fat even without eating highly fat content food, so we threw that idea out by like the 5th post so you can stop worrying about that. We changed the focus to the obese people, we need some way of establishing who is obese and then taxing them. I suggested BMI but someone pointed out that its not full proof.
Why are you so hell bent to degrade obese people? This is a riduculous idea to start with and mean spirited on top of that. I am glad you are so perfect that you feel it necessary to humiliate and degrade obese people by wanting to tax them. How about we set up a tax for mean spirited people who have no compassion for others who are struggling through life with "issues"? How would that be?? Probably make a lot more taxable income based on HOT AIR...right?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 AM

516 posts, read 1,052,987 times
Smoking, Obesity, Alcoholism, think of all that social security that won't have to be paid out.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM

857 posts, read 854,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Why are you so hell bent to degrade obese people? This is a riduculous idea to start with and mean spirited on top of that. I am glad you are so perfect that you feel it necessary to humiliate and degrade obese people by wanting to tax them. How about we set up a tax for mean spirited people who have no compassion for others who are struggling through life with "issues"? How would that be?? Probably make a lot more taxable income based on HOT AIR...right?
whoa whoa whoa simmer down Pam! You, as well as everyone else here apparently, are missing the point of this thread. My point is not to just go after obese people, I'll leave that on the obesity thread. I am trying to show how ridiculous it is that we ostracize smokers based on the apparent health risk while obesity gets a free ride. Its a double standard and I don't think its right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates