U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,464 times
Reputation: 558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
We have in excess of 20 million people living here illegally. We have laws against this, but they don't apply, because to apply those laws would be seen as 'racist, xenophobic, and anti-family'.

Above, I recounted an example of several cases of Statutory Rape. We have laws against that, too....but they didn't apply to SOME people, because of their culture ('acting like they did back home')...

We have MANY cases of violent illegal-immigrant 'gang-bangers' who have committed crimes. We have LAWS against this behavior, but because of 'Special Order 40', which protects 'good' illegals from undue police surveillance, these violent felons are ALSO prevented from being questioned, and thus it's very difficult to arrest them. Again, we have laws...but in this instance, they don't "apply" to these felons...(Special Order 40 was written so those from cultures which FEAR the police, will hopefully be able to fear them a little LESS).
illegal immigrants are a different issue because they are not here legally. If you break the law then we have an issue. I am saying that those living here legally have every right to preserve their culture as long as they abide by our laws (so in the case of the statutory thing, I would agree that it is wrong).

Quote:
If people are living in this country, and following the laws HERE, then they've already adapted to OUR culture. Which particular part, of whose culture, are you suggesting they are forbidden to practice? Their cuisine? Their music? Their artwork? What part of someone's culture can they NOT practice here, and in precisely what way are "we" not multicultural already?
I never forbade anybody from practicing their culture as long as it is within the rule of law...

Quote:
If you're suggesting our laws discriminate against some groups....or some groups are more successful than others....or some groups get more "out" of the system because they put more "in"..then what do you suggest we DO, to eliminate these cultural disparities? Should those students who drop out of high school be given the same diploma as those who "Hit the books" all through their school years? Should a girl who graduates from college with honors, expect to live be in the same income group as the girl who becomes pregnant at 16? If not, is this a 'cultural disparity'?

Can you cite a law which says "THIS group is allowed to do (xxxx), but OTHER groups are not ?". Can you give an example of a recipe not permitted, or a festival disallowed, or a language which is FORBIDDEN to be spoken in America? How are we 'stifling' other cultures, UNLESS it's by making a FEW cultural attributes illegal...such as ritual rape, beatings, religious violence, and child molestation? Are you suggesting these things SHOULD be allowed? If NOT, then precisely how are we not 'including' other cultures NOW.? Our culture, in the USA, is by definition a 'conglomerate' of many diverse groups united in a common 'purpose'. How do you suggest we might become more diverse, yet still HAVE a society?
where did this line of thought come from??? was this aimed at me???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
illegal immigrants are a different issue because they are not here legally. If you break the law then we have an issue. I am saying that those living here legally have every right to preserve their culture as long as they abide by our laws (so in the case of the statutory thing, I would agree that it is wrong).



I never forbade anybody from practicing their culture as long as it is within the rule of law...



where did this line of thought come from??? was this aimed at me???
Relax....nothing's aimed at you. This is merely a general discussion of general principles...with which you either agree or not. I normally NEVER engage in pesonal attacks, though occasionally I'll respond to one in kind.

But no, nothing I wrote is 'aimed' at you. I'm merely pointing out that the USA is ALREADY much more 'multicultural' than most of the world, and I question where this is going...AND reminding folks that, if we REALLY and TRULY propose to 'include' ALL cultures into our society, then we're going to have to accept their WHOLE package, the good and the 'not-so-good', and I don't REALLY think people want to do this. What they REALLY want is to accept the 'good, interesting, and exciting' parts of other cultures...which, I believe, is what we already DO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 AM
 
2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Because rich and powerful people grabbed all the wealth and invested it offshore, and because California got sucked down the crapper along with all the rest of the USA because everybody got too greedy and thought they were entitled to everything.

Three of the economies that passed up the sinking California were Canada, India and Brazil. Countries that are more multicultural than California.



Said the guy/girl from TEXAS!!

As "diversity" has increased, the economy has declined. Foreigners started moving in, Americans started moving out. Why? Because they did not want to be there. Hence, economy went down.

Do you even understand the definition of multicultural? How is India multicultural, when 99% of the people are dark Indians? They might have different religions or whatever but they are genetically the same.

Same with Brazil. Most are a mixture of black and white, with some Native blood mixed in there. Large percentages of the population are not white Europeans from Europe, Japanese from Japan, Indians from India, or Africans from Africa, who are all seeking to maintain their own culture.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 AM
 
2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Practically everyone who imigrates or emigrates to the US are fleeing corrupt Goverments or don't you read the news or at least watch the Pictures on TV, If it wasn't for corrupt goverments around the world why would they choose to live with Gangsters, Rednecks, and people who let them know they are not wanted, I have had close personal friends who got to see a parent or sibling 20-25 years after fleeing some of these countries, no amount of harsh treatment in the US can compare with what they suffer in silence daily just to be free. What have you sacrifised for your freedom? Americans loveto talk about how great this country is but we get upset if someone from out side the US thinks so too and wants to come here to live.
Must be the money. I'm sure they'd run over your mother to get it. You know what? I really don't care about their plight. I'll be honest, I really don't want immigrants around. I'm sure some of them are nice people but at the end of the day, IT SHOULDN'T BE MY PROBLEM. I don't want to support them and I don't want to deal with them. So what? Sue me. You're probably not even American.

They don't have anybody to blame but themselves and their own corrupt leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 AM
 
2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
?

One of my favorite neighbors was Bosnian, really one of the most interesting people you could live next to. Great friend of mine is Somali.

What are you implying? That being born in a war torn country makes you a bad associate?
Are you implying that surrounding yourself with people from war torn countries and moving yourself to a war torn country is something desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 AM
 
8,792 posts, read 9,617,809 times
Reputation: 6682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post


Said the guy/girl from TEXAS!!

As "diversity" has increased, the economy has declined. Foreigners started moving in, Americans started moving out. Why? Because they did not want to be there. Hence, economy went down.

Do you even understand the definition of multicultural? How is India multicultural, when 99% of the people are dark Indians? They might have different religions or whatever but they are genetically the same.

Same with Brazil. Most are a mixture of black and white, with some Native blood mixed in there. Large percentages of the population are not white Europeans from Europe, Japanese from Japan, Indians from India, or Africans from Africa, who are all seeking to maintain their own culture.

You don't know what you're talking about.
who told you Brazilians are seeking maintain their own separate culture? A white Brazilian told me his family has crossed the color line nearly every generation. His grandfather was black, and his father is white.
What we think of as "Brazilian" is a mixture of black ,white , and Indian culture. The national music of Brazil is from Angola Africa. We could learn a lot from Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,464 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
As "diversity" has increased, the economy has declined. Foreigners started moving in, Americans started moving out. Why? Because they did not want to be there. Hence, economy went down.
When you say foreigners I assume you really mean non-white foreigners. This county was founded on foreigners, unless your native American you have no argument for saying some foreigners can stay but others cannot come here. Maybe we should kick out all the Irish too, I mean they only came here because they were starving in Ireland, Ireland has recovered so lets send them back too .

Quote:
Do you even understand the definition of multicultural? How is India multicultural, when 99% of the people are dark Indians? They might have different religions or whatever but they are genetically the same.

Same with Brazil. Most are a mixture of black and white, with some Native blood mixed in there. Large percentages of the population are not white Europeans from Europe, Japanese from Japan, Indians from India, or Africans from Africa, who are all seeking to maintain their own culture.

You don't know what you're talking about.
DO YOU understand the definition of multiculturalism??? Or culture in general??? Because I don't think you do.

multiculturalism: the preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, as a state or nation.

Culture: Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another

None of this has anything to do with race. You can have different cultures within a country even if they are racially the same. For example in Italy, the northern Italians are different from the Southern Italians, yet they are all Italian racially speaking. Looks like you do not know what you're talking about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,464 times
Reputation: 558
Bottom line is if you are against multiculturalism then what do we keep in America?? Pizza & pasta are Italian, so thats no good. Champagne, Cologne, Democracy and Lingerie are French, so they are gone. Wine and Beer are European inventions, so thats no good either. Silk and fireworks are Chinese, so those are gone. Jazz and R&B came from African origins, and rock and roll came from R&B, so no more rock because it has African Origins. Coffee is originally from Ethiopia, so thats gone. Tea is from Asia so its gone too...

I mean afterall how can something be American if it did not originate in America??? Anyone seriously arguing against multiculturalism is either retarded or racist, or a combination of both.

Doesn't anyone realize America kicks ass BECAUSE we have the different cultures. We take the best from everything around the world (sometimes with improvements) and bring it together in one country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Doesn't anyone realize America kicks ass BECAUSE we have the different cultures. We take the best from everything around the world (sometimes with improvements) and bring it together in one country.
America 'takes the best from around the world' because its culture is an artificial 'amalgam' of many roots. American culture is DERIVED from "others"; it does not incorporate them wholesale.

Because we "eat Spaghetti, drink beer, drive Toyotas, or read Dickens" does NOT mean we're Italians, or Germans, or Japanese, or Engish. We can "use" these things, yet still retain the framework of our basic, multiethnic cuture.

WE don't allow (we criminalize) MANY things here, that are "OK" elsewhere in the world. However, I've never heard of a food we're not allowed to eat; nor a language we're forbidden to speak; nor a festival we're barred from celebrating; nor a muscial genre that's illegal to hear..have you? Probably not, because our 'open, accepting' American culture allows us the freedom to do just about anything that doesn't hurt others, and we're not too 'proud' or too 'xenophobic' to adopt GOOD things from anywhere in the world.

You say we "kick ass" (one way to put it, I suppose), because we "take the best from around the world". That's true.....but if we're TRULY multicultural, (or TRYING to be) that would mean we'd have to take EVERYTHING..the "best", the "worst", and the "indifferent" from around the world.

We don't do this; we 'discriminate'; we adopt the 'best', and we reject the 'worst'.....and that's the culture we have here. What should we do to 'improve' the system so we won't be, as you say "retarded or racist".

(By the way, can you name an 'intellectual level' which isn't allowed to live in America? Can you think of a 'race' of people who are not allowed to live in America?......at the moment, I can't)..."retarded or racist?"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,464 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You say we "kick ass" (one way to put it, I suppose), because we "take the best from around the world". That's true.....but if we're TRULY multicultural, (or TRYING to be) that would mean we'd have to take EVERYTHING..the "best", the "worst", and the "indifferent" from around the world.

We don't do this; we 'discriminate'; we adopt the 'best', and we reject the 'worst'.....and that's the culture we have here. What should we do to 'improve' the system so we won't be, as you say "retarded or racist".

(By the way, can you name an 'intellectual level' which isn't allowed to live in America? Can you think of a 'race' of people who are not allowed to live in America?......at the moment, I can't)..."retarded or racist?"....
Oh we allow some of the worst from cultures too, Klan members and Neo-Nazis anyone?? But for better or worse America is multicultural and I love it.

And I don't think being multicultural means you have to take everything from every culture. Culture is supposed to be all that is good and creative from a given society. Things like language or arts be it culinary, musical, theatrical etc. Allow the best from every society to be maintained. But they have to also become part of American culture too, if only in following our laws.

The retarded or racist comment was in reference to anyone arguing against multiculturalism in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top