Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:16 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
So you agree with assimilating foreign people into a host country? and how is that realistically done without assimilating also their culture and ways they bring with them? do you think humans are robots and you can separate their lineage, habits, tastes, and past from them?

I say those who express the unrealistic views as abcconvict are lying to themselves and spouting bull regarding the truth of "multiculturalism" and what it means. Either way, forced or unforced, you will end up with a society different both racially and culturally than before whether you 'assimilate' or have a 'multicultural' society (lol, it's laughable because it's more about semantics than reality).

So what is your real opinion?

I sense some hostility. Let me explain what I mean.

If you are say, going to assimilate Hispanics into the US, for example, I think it's acceptable for them to bring their food (it's awesome food too ) or practice Catholicism.

What would be wrong is if they demanded people learn Spanish to accommodate them, or they wanted to have Catholic doctrine in the government.

As long as the cultural contribution doesn't contradict the original country's culture, it's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Luckily, society and civilization are not made up of oil and water. They are made up of human beings, who are all of the same species.
So are Lions and Tigers, you figure it out!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean that if you and I are in London, we are bound by Sharia law? We would be forced by law to do what the Imam tells us to do? Where do you get this stuff?
Where did you get that out of what he said?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Where did you get that out of what he said?
He said "It's the difference between a foreign culture's right to express their culture (kebab, language, foreign dress) versus impose their culture (Sharia law in London, justifying rape as a cultural norm from the 'old country')."

How, exactly, is Islamic culture "imposed" on the people of London, by the British permitting Muslims to use Sharia to address legal contracts and social issues among themselves?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I agree. Oil and water don't mix. When you try to force multi-culturalism on society, you end up with culture clashes, political strife, religious wars, and language barriers.

We live in the UNITED States, not the "divided" states. "Diversity" means divisive. Succesful countries need unity and people who share common cultures.
I agree, I'm studying the history of the Western European nations and Japan when they were developing during the 18th-20th century. What you find common is there was concerted effort to forge a national identity.

Many of the nations were composed of disparate groups based on language or dialect, geography, or other cultural and political differences.

Despite these differences their leaders knew that in order to become the great nations they are today, they had to pull all the parts together, however imperfectly, to be the leading nations of the world they have been for the past two or three centuries.

There has to be a common sense of purpose, of destiny for a group to accomplish great things. I just feel the U.S. needs to be more inclusive because in its past certain groups that wanted to be integrated and included were subtly or even violently left out and pushed to the margins of society.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
I don't buy into the whole melting pot thing anyway. It is all about economics and always was.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
As a liberal, I have mixed views on Multiculturalism, and whether it's a good policy or not.

I think every country needs a common culture. If someone moves to another country, they should adhere to "when in Rome" - that is, speak the language, and follow the basic customs of that country, while keeping their own so long as it does not interfere with the host country.

For example, if vigilantism is the cultural norm in your country, but not in the country you've immigrated to, you can not call people "intolerant" for not allowing you to practice vigilantism.

If their custom does not interfere with anyone else's business, yes, it is wrong to be intolerant of that custom.

I support the inclusion of people of all races, orientations, etc, but I also think one should join the culture of their new country and not form little versions of their old country and expect others to conform to their country's culture.
Providing that all individuals follow the law then it is not relevent. This is not a country that has a culture. McDonalds is really not culture. Our version of football? A shorter version of the soccor field? If you must.

Multiculturism in education is phenominal. Multiculturism in business is a necessity-we operate globally.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I don't know if I really know what multi-culturalism is. The first book I read on the subject was around thirty years ago. Should it be a policy, or a process, or a product? Just being tolerant isn't the answer. Pushy liberal types taught us to tolerate minorities ( you tolerate a headache). That's what all the talk is about, how are we going to deal with with the increasing number of minorities. They are comming here for the opportunity to get rich. Americans have a hard time watching people who don't speak English, won't adopt or repect our cultural values and mores doing quite well. We have to be patient it's always the second or third generation that learns how to navigate between two cultures effectively. Its too difficult to learn every little nuiance about every minority group or expect them to shed every thing about their own cultural identity. My personal policy is I just ask questions, Why do you guys do that? What does that mean?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
As a liberal, I have mixed views on Multiculturalism, and whether it's a good policy or not.

I think every country needs a common culture. If someone moves to another country, they should adhere to "when in Rome" - that is, speak the language, and follow the basic customs of that country, while keeping their own so long as it does not interfere with the host country.

For example, if vigilantism is the cultural norm in your country, but not in the country you've immigrated to, you can not call people "intolerant" for not allowing you to practice vigilantism.

If their custom does not interfere with anyone else's business, yes, it is wrong to be intolerant of that custom.

I support the inclusion of people of all races, orientations, etc, but I also think one should join the culture of their new country and not form little versions of their old country and expect others to conform to their country's culture.
I come from probably the most diverse state and city in the entire world. IT DOES NOT WORK! People want to kill each other and fight all the time. I know "diversity" sounds good and all but when it comes down to actually living on a day to day basis, it does NOT work. I'm leaving California because I have had enough.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:55 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I come from probably the most diverse state and city in the entire world. IT DOES NOT WORK! People want to kill each other and fight all the time. I know "diversity" sounds good and all but when it comes down to actually living on a day to day basis, it does NOT work. I'm leaving California because I have had enough.
Diversity and integration don't necessarily go hand in hand. I too live in a supposedly "liberal" and "multicultural" city but the segregation and hate can be quite shocking especially coming from self-proclaimed liberals.

There are even minorities that are racist against other minorities. I assume your coming from LA where Mexican gangs are warring with the blacks.

I do believe multiculturalism and diversity are politically correct codewords for Separate but Equal.

Integration does and can work. I notice people from the military are often used to working with people of different races. This was one of the most striking things I noticed about Norfolk Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates