U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM
 
6,961 posts, read 8,933,892 times
Reputation: 7833

Advertisements

I'm an American. Of COURSE I'm in favor of multiculturalism. It would be crazy not to be, like a Goldfish agitating for the elimination of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,822,262 times
Reputation: 10455
I'm completely in favor of multiculturalism--the process of numerous cultures blending together and creating America. But I'm against the buzzword used as an umbrella to disguise an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,509,358 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
There's a welfare department right down the street. See if they don't turn you down for speaking English and not being an immigrant. You'd probably have the food stamps snatched out of your hands soon as you walk out the door, anyway.
I don't understand what that little anecdote has to do with what I said, nor am I particularly inclined to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 06:31 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,509,358 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Cool, so you once knew a guy who came from a place where criminals used tanks. What I want to know is, how many of you surround yourselves (your closest friends, your neighbors, your walking buddies, your tennis partners or even so far as chat buddies) with people who come from places where criminals use tanks.
?

One of my favorite neighbors was Bosnian, really one of the most interesting people you could live next to. Great friend of mine is Somali.

What are you implying? That being born in a war torn country makes you a bad associate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,666 posts, read 71,883,334 times
Reputation: 35910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
. Why do you think the state of CA, once the 8th strongest economy in the world, is currently on the brink of collapse?
.
Because rich and powerful people grabbed all the wealth and invested it offshore, and because California got sucked down the crapper along with all the rest of the USA because everybody got too greedy and thought they were entitled to everything.

Three of the economies that passed up the sinking California were Canada, India and Brazil. Countries that are more multicultural than California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
 
8,858 posts, read 9,686,815 times
Reputation: 6709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
And have the highest crime rates, I'll bet.

Cool, so you once knew a guy who came from a place where criminals used tanks. What I want to know is, how many of you surround yourselves (your closest friends, your neighbors, your walking buddies, your tennis partners or even so far as chat buddies) with people who come from places where criminals use tanks. Or better yet, how many of you want to immigrate to a place where criminals use tanks?

Probably ZERO! That's right a big fat O! So why come online and make ignorant comments about why diversity is such a great thing...being that most would not want to practice what they preach?
Practically everyone who imigrates or emigrates to the US are fleeing corrupt Goverments or don't you read the news or at least watch the Pictures on TV, If it wasn't for corrupt goverments around the world why would they choose to live with Gangsters, Rednecks, and people who let them know they are not wanted, I have had close personal friends who got to see a parent or sibling 20-25 years after fleeing some of these countries, no amount of harsh treatment in the US can compare with what they suffer in silence daily just to be free. What have you sacrifised for your freedom? Americans loveto talk about how great this country is but we get upset if someone from out side the US thinks so too and wants to come here to live.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-09-2009 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,371 posts, read 17,553,356 times
Reputation: 18349
It worked great in cities like NY, Chicago, S.F., etc. for well over a century. Ethnic neighborhoods with a place for residents to enjoy the comforts of home and socialize with one another. We Americans benefited by having restaurants, cafe's and markets to shop for the real deal. Many cities have or had a Little Italy and Chinatown. Today we have Polish, Russian, South and Central American, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian etc. So long as they learn the English language and contribute to our economy I have no problem with multiculturalism, I actually embrace it. It's when they insist we establish bi-lingual services and become a leach to our economy that I have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
 
8,858 posts, read 9,686,815 times
Reputation: 6709
I can't think of a time in American history when our cities were not teaming with English, French, Spanish, Indians, Free Blacks, Urban Slaves, Chinese,Irish and all sorts of in between. In some northern cities in the 1800's ferral pigs were used as street cleaners. None of them got along or could speak each others language, it must of been a mess. There where mining Towns in the early 1900's in the Midwest were 25-30 different languages were being spoke. I think all this multi-cultural talk makes people feel like they can take control of a process that is as old as the United State is. The players change every generation but it's the same game. How can we be for or against something that we can't stop anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,666 posts, read 71,883,334 times
Reputation: 35910
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Practically everyone who imigrates or emigrates to the US are fleeing corrupt Goverments o.
More than half of them are fleeing Mexico, where at worst, the government is slightly more corrupt than in the US. None, I repeat, None of them are fleeing Mexico because they fear their government. They are going to the US for CASH. There is plenty of it here, and Americans love to squander it. They will pay a Mexican 5-bucks an hour just to baby sit while they go to the mall and get their hair done. . A very small number of immigrants to America are coming from countries where they are in danger of being harmed by their government or having their civil rights infringed upon. When immigrants get here, they discover that the election results are preprogrammed in the voting machines, and you say they come here to flee from corrupt governments? They want money, and the nature of the government is the last thing they give a rat's butt about.

Do you know what anecdotal evidence is? If you knew a guy who smoked a pack a day and lived to be 75, would you say that is proof that smoking is not harmful to your health? Don't tell us that all or most or even many of the immigrants came to the US for the same reason as ONE friend of yours.

Have you ever been in any other country, aside from maybe behind the chain link fence in a beach resort? Do you have any clue whatsoever what life is like in any other country, except what ONE friend told you about maybe Romania or someplace?

Yes, there are a dozen horrible countries in the world, with a few emigrants trickling out of an autocratic regime to seek freedom, but trust me---they are going to Canada and Norway and New Zealand, because they too watch TV and read the news, and they know more about the world than you do., because they see more than just Neil Cavuto's version.

Wait a minute---what's the topic of this thread again?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-09-2009 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,733,018 times
Reputation: 1050
Multiculturalism is fine, but you have to acknowledge and respect the fact that most human beings, consciously or subconsciously seek to be surrounded by those who are "similar" to them. There is nothing wrong with that; it's not racism, despite the fact that the PC brigade will try to convince you that it is. For example, I live in Miami, but I am miserable here, because I am surrounded by people who are polar opposites to myself (which is not their fault and not my fault either). If you plucked the average Miami Latino and dumped him in the heart of Alabama, I'm sure he'd be equally as miserable.

It is human nature to seek to be surrounded by people who are at least in some way similar to yourself. To deny this is simply lunacy.

You cannot "force" multiculturalism. Some people want it, while others don't. If an individual wishes to live in a multicultural place, he/she can move to London or New York and live amongst different cultures. I just do not believe that you can force people to get along...as that, in itself leads to turmoil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top