U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,969 posts, read 32,424,502 times
Reputation: 49930

Advertisements

Against multiculturalism. I'm for stew in a bowl, not on a plate with separate sections for meat, potatoes and vegetables because unless its all mixed together, it isn't stew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM
 
830 posts, read 2,507,998 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
As a liberal, I have mixed views on Multiculturalism, and whether it's a good policy or not.

I think every country needs a common culture. If someone moves to another country, they should adhere to "when in Rome" - that is, speak the language, and follow the basic customs of that country, while keeping their own so long as it does not interfere with the host country.

For example, if vigilantism is the cultural norm in your country, but not in the country you've immigrated to, you can not call people "intolerant" for not allowing you to practice vigilantism.

If their custom does not interfere with anyone else's business, yes, it is wrong to be intolerant of that custom.

I support the inclusion of people of all races, orientations, etc, but I also think one should join the culture of their new country and not form little versions of their old country and expect others to conform to their country's culture.

I would agree with your thinking from a practical perspective. I would assume you are talking about the US, where people immigrate here and then expect their ways to be accepted wholeheartedly, without them having to bend in any way to fit "our" ways.

This is similar to people I have seen on other parts of City-Data that are looking to move to a new place and want to find people just like them. In other words, they want the benefits of the new place without changing anything of themselves.

If you were to move to a foreign country, you would without a doubt be required to assimilate into the culture. Many countries throughout the world are not even remotely as tolerant with foreign cultures being introduced into their societies as we are in the US.

From a technical perspective, however, is not a culture simply a common ground agreed upon by its people? If so, then as the makeup of the people changes so will the culture.

I have seen this change in many ways over the years. A small, but to me important example, is placing your hand over your heart while the National Anthem is played/sung. While at sporting events, for instance, I have noticed over the years fewer and fewer people paying respect to the flag by placing their hand over their heart than was the case when I was young. And I am a mere 37 now.

I think this is the result of a combination of two main changes in our society: 1) there are significantly more "new" Americans than there were even 20 years ago, and they were not taught to respect the American flag, it is not part of "their" culture, and 2) I think many Americans have simply lost touch with what it means to be united as a country and no longer feel it necessary to express their respect to the flag and all it stands for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,615,444 times
Reputation: 24548
Motoman -
Maybe the flag is disrespected because our actions, domestic and foreign, over the last forty years have not been respectable.

Over the years immigrants have formed ghettos and eventually these ghettos have been absorbed by the ill-defined "mainstream" culture. Multi cultural is fine so long as it is under one LAW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Reputation: 35885
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I would agree with your thinking from a practical perspective. I would assume you are talking about the US, where people immigrate here and then expect their ways to be accepted wholeheartedly, without them having to bend in any way to fit "our" ways.
I don't think anybody is talking about the extremely rare individual who refuses to bend at all to adapt to the American lifestyle. I've never seen one of these people in this country, and I doubt if you have. Yet, it sounds like you're basing your general view of multiculturalism as if that that is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Reputation: 35885
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I would agree with your thinking from a practical perspective. I would assume you are talking about the US, where people immigrate here and then expect their ways to be accepted wholeheartedly, without them having to bend in any way to fit "our" ways.
I don't think anybody is talking about the extremely rare individual who refuses to bend at all to adapt to the American lifestyle. I've never seen one of these people in this country, and I doubt if you have. Yet, it sounds like you're basing your general view of multiculturalism as if that that is the norm.

Let me ask yo a question. A young guy immigrates to
America, and becomes a citizen. His friends ask him to come along on a protest march, say against the war for example. What is his "obligation", in your view, as a new American. To join with his fellow Americans in free-speech, protesting something that he, too, is opposed to? Or to obstinately wave the flag and demand compliance with people who wear flag lapel pins.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
 
830 posts, read 2,507,998 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Motoman -
Maybe the flag is disrespected because our actions, domestic and foreign, over the last forty years have not been respectable.

I can't disagree with that.

It's a bit of a difficult argument either way, really. I could choose not to salute the flag because I disagree with the government's war actions. But at the same time I could choose to salute the flag because it gives me the freedom, symbolically, to disagree with what "the country" is doing without punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
 
830 posts, read 2,507,998 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think anybody is talking about the extremely rare individual who refuses to bend at all to adapt to the American lifestyle. I've never seen one of these people in this country, and I doubt if you have. Yet, it sounds like you're basing your general view of multiculturalism as if that that is the norm.

Let me ask yo a question. A young guy immigrates to
America, and becomes a citizen. His friends ask him to come along on a protest march, say against the war for example. What is his "obligation", in your view, as a new American. To join with his fellow Americans in free-speech, protesting something that he, too, is opposed to? Or to obstinately wave the flag and demand compliance with people who wear flag lapel pins.?

Living in LA, I've met plenty of Hispanics whose families have lived in the US for decades, and whose parents or grandparents don't speak a lick of English.

In a class I took there was a lady complaining that people couldn't understand her because of her accent. She said something about her not being fresh off the boat, that she had lived in the US for over 10 years. Yet she sounded like she just arrived yesterday.

These are small examples. And don't take my statement to an extreme. With most things we do we bend at least a little. That applies here as well.

Regarding your second question, his obligation is to do as he pleases. The flag, symbolically, gives you the freedom to have any position you want to have, to protest the positions of others, etc.

I even support flag burning. But again, it's a bit of a circular because your freedom to burn the flag (unless there is a law against it now) is symbolically supported by the flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 02:49 AM
 
379 posts, read 514,767 times
Reputation: 147
I am against multiculturalism.

A nation is a certain race of people. These nations have culture and costume of their own. Above all, in these nations, people are naturally around their own race, therefore they are happy and peaceful.

That's what a nation is.

A nation is not a multicultural place, because that wouldn't work and would cause conflict. The biggest problem is it would turn away from doing what you'd naturally do and that's live around your own kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 05:07 AM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,474,012 times
Reputation: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I am against multiculturalism.

A nation is a certain race of people. These nations have culture and costume of their own. Above all, in these nations, people are naturally around their own race, therefore they are happy and peaceful.

That's what a nation is.

A nation is not a multicultural place, because that wouldn't work and would cause conflict. The biggest problem is it would turn away from doing what you'd naturally do and that's live around your own kind.
So what race should the US be?

Never mind, don't answer that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
380 posts, read 934,023 times
Reputation: 254
No nation can survive with an emphasis on multiculturalism at the level we now push in the United States. It is a tool of the far left to cause divisiveness-call it what it is. Inclusion for all in the American Dream yes, but multiculturalism no. If any immigrant who uses expressions "In my country, we did this or had that." should be rebuked by being asked "Are you an American?" If they say yes, then tell them to knock the "in my country" crap off and leave out of their thinking. I am an American and I expect everyone else here to be, so should the rest of you. Start speaking up, I know it isn't easy sometimes, but if we all start, it will turn around. Stop letting the far left ruin our great country with this multiculturalism garbage. Their is no strength in it, it is like trying to survive with a growing malignant tumor inside your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top