U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,490,307 times

Advertisements

As a liberal, I have mixed views on Multiculturalism, and whether it's a good policy or not.

I think every country needs a common culture. If someone moves to another country, they should adhere to "when in Rome" - that is, speak the language, and follow the basic customs of that country, while keeping their own so long as it does not interfere with the host country.

For example, if vigilantism is the cultural norm in your country, but not in the country you've immigrated to, you can not call people "intolerant" for not allowing you to practice vigilantism.

If their custom does not interfere with anyone else's business, yes, it is wrong to be intolerant of that custom.

I support the inclusion of people of all races, orientations, etc, but I also think one should join the culture of their new country and not form little versions of their old country and expect others to conform to their country's culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 PM

6,564 posts, read 11,887,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I support the inclusion of people of all races, orientations, etc, but I also think one should join the culture of their new country and not form little versions of their old country and expect others to conform to their country's culture.
Keep your eyes open for the upcoming fatwa against you. Don't worry; they usually don't act on them.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,748,235 times
Against ... it simply doesn't work and you end up with increasing social tension and alienation.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,692,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Against ... it simply doesn't work and you end up with increasing social tension and alienation.
I'd be against it too. It's a myth and it's unachievable. We're entering utopian realms again, probably allegorical to the society Marxists (true ones) dream of.

You simply cannot command "equal" loyalty from every group that's part of the multi-cultural fabric.

Then this leads to pandering and electoral appeasement.

I have been in several countries and I'm loyal only to opportunity and money

Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,063,674 times
Personally;I think that people really mostly seek those of thier own culture .Even people of the same cultural background are different in many regions of this country.Just as studys have showen that conutry with no different culutres survey as they most content and happy with their lifes.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 PM

72 posts, read 237,996 times
Very touchy subject to comment on!

As a (mostly) liberal person, I too have some reservations regarding multiculturalism, simply because I have read about some of the problems that it causes.

Okay, so it only really causes one problem, and that is ethnic strife/conflict, but that is a really big problem! I remember Bush saying that Iraq could be the next South Korea, but I have to disagree. Iraq has constant fighting going on between the kurds, the arabs, and the persians which puts a big ball and chain on economic development. I really do believe that a core reason that South Korea and Japan were able to develop from 3rd world to 1st world countries so quickly is their homogeneous atmospheres.

Nevertheless, as an American with a Chinese partner and a very diverse group of friends and family, I think multiculturalism deserves a shot, and a good one at that.

I think most Americans forget that during the 19th century, the Protestant and Catholic divide was just as large as the divide today between Christians and Muslims, if not greater. There was much, much conflict regarding the immigration of Irish, Italians, and Germans. In fact, Benjamin Franklin was staunchly opposed to German immigrants, and he never let the legislature forget it (google it if you don't believe me. Its very interesting reading). Every one of those groups assimilated over time. There is simply not enough evidence to say that today's immigrants will not do the same.

For the time being, I am pro multiculturalism, because I have hope that it will succeed in the future as it has in the past. Now, if in, lets say, 20 - 30 more years, real proof is put out there that multi-culturalism is failing in America, I will probably change my mind.

The topic creator did comment on something that I agree with. Immigrants coming in and creating ethnic ghettos is not a good thing. They should try to establish themselves within the host community. On the flip side, the host community should also welcome the immigrants. Immigrants will not try to forge a place into a community that treats them badly. Ethnic ghettos created by immigrants do tend to disappear however as immigrants assimilate. Example, at one time their were over a hundred Japantowns across America. Japanese Americans are now fully assimilated and their are only a handful of Japantowns left. I'll bet a buffalo nickle that the same thing is going to happen to the Chinatowns across America as well.

Good day!

Last edited by cgadams; 04-03-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 PM

716 posts, read 1,867,864 times
If the immigrants were to establish within the Host community, then why didnt the europeans do this when they first migrated into the exclusively native american enclave? double standards no??

Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 PM

72 posts, read 237,996 times
"If the immigrants were to establish within the Host community, then why didnt the europeans do this when they first migrated into the exclusively native american enclave? double standards no??"

Forgive me, but I do not think your comment applies here. 21st century migrant workers cannot be compared to 17th century invaders. Your argument simply does not apply.

Europeans did not come to America to be part of the native american culture. They came here to plunder and kill. Indeed, this was a horrible, horrible, horrible thing that took place, but you also have to understand that this was the mentality back then. Native Americans also invaded, killed, and plundered other peoples. So did Eastern Asians, Southern Asians, Arabs (in fact, I think Ottoman peoples were conquering North Africa at around the same time), etc.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 AM

716 posts, read 1,867,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgadams View Post
Forgive me, but I do not think your comment applies here. 21st century migrant workers cannot be compared to 17th century invaders. Your argument simply does not apply.

Europeans did not come to America to be part of the native american culture. They came here to plunder and kill. Indeed, this was a horrible, horrible, horrible thing that took place, but you also have to understand that this was the mentality back then. Native Americans also invaded, killed, and plundered other peoples. So did Eastern Asians, Southern Asians, Arabs (in fact, I think Ottoman peoples were conquering North Africa at around the same time), etc.

Hmm, sounds to me you look and smell just like those 17th century invaders the way you like to brush off those comments, i dont think the mentality has changed that much. Native Americans invaded who?? your talking about tribal wars and how you associate that to going to far off distant lands to eliminate a culture and way of life to extinction is wayyy beyond me. Nice deflection btw. NOT!!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,586,660 times
I donít care what they look like, but if everyone thought and acted exactly like me, my world would be a much easier place for me to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or