U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Reputation: 66976

Advertisements

Oh, goodness...no one is saying that exotic dancing and having sex are the same thing. But the point is that it takes a bit to get to either, and I think there are people who will be willing and voluntarily take on the prostitution b/c it's big bucks and easy money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,193,238 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
on the other hand, no, i do not want prostitution legalized. that is tantamount to condoning it by the government
What else do you want illegal? Overeating? Not brushing your teeth?

Quote:
and i want it banned, as well as this sick free sex attitude our society has unfortunately bought into over the past 35 years or so. Please can we get rid of it?
No. Any other questions?

"Sex is natural, sex is good/Not everybody does it, but everybody should" --George Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,755,932 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't even know if this is an appropriate topic, but I'm curious. I've always been strongly opposed to legal prostitution because men who pay for sex are treating women like objects. I hate that. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family members to get involved in it. And I definitely wouldn't associate with a guy that was into it (if I was aware of the fact that he was into it).

Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.
A rapist want to have sex by force and having sex with a prostitute is a consensual act.
An individual that wants to have something by force simply displays a low moral character by taking anything from another individual.
We all need to eat. We usually work to pay for food but there are individual that will steal food. Should be ban a natural need because some people take it by force?

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. Rape is a forcible act. It is a physical agression against another individual. Paying a prostitute is simply wanting to pay for sex to satisfy whatever needs he want to satisfy.

Are there people that pay prostitutes and rape, I am sure there are those. But is one the cause of the other? I do not think so.

As far you opposing legal prostitution is based on personal views that are against the basic principles of privacy between two adults that as far as I am concerned has the support of the Constitution when the Bill of Rights was included. I do not share the view of accepting laws for the sake of feeling that someone is seen as an object. That is a personal choice if a woman or man want to do that for whatever reason they do.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Reputation: 35864
While there are today a lot of women who are forced into prostitution by reduced opportunity, there are many who choose the profession simply because it pays a lot better than prostituting yourself to a guy who wants his coffee heated up and leaves a quarter tip on the table.

As for men who pay for a service thereby reducing a woman to an object, do we not also reduce Tiger Woods and Mel Gibson to objects by paying them to perform a service for us? What's the difference? If a man marries his hooker and gives her a house, a Visa card, and a BMW, does that make her any less a prostitute?

If you want to use the word origins to trace the history of the concept, here you go:

Prostitute, from Latin roots which mean "to cause to stand in front of", derived to apply to one's display of oneself for sale.

Harlot is from the French 'herlot', which is of obscure origin, but certainly does not mean "hard lot", (as someone suggested) which are not words in French at all. Originally applied in English to mean a person, usually male, who is a vagabond or a rogue.

Most interesting of all, the the same Indo-European root that gave us the (censored) word similar to 'hwore" also gave us caress, cherish and charity:

Word History: Derivatives of Indo-European roots have often acquired starkly contrasting meanings. A prime example is the case of the root *kā-, "to like, desire." From it was derived a stem *kāro-, from which came the prehistoric Common Germanic word *hōraz with the underlying meaning "one who desires" and the effective meaning "adulterer." The feminine of this, *hōrōn-, became hōre in Old English, the ancestor of Modern English *****. In another branch of the Indo-European family, the same stem *kāro- produced the Latin word cārus, "dear." This word has several derivatives borrowed into English, including caress, cherish, and charity, in Christian doctrine the highest form of love and the greatest of the theological virtues. Another derivative of the root *kā- in Indo-European was *kāmo-, a descendant of which is the Sanskrit word for "love," kāmaḥ, appearing in the name of the most famous treatise on love and lovemaking, the Kamasutra.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-11-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Reputation: 976
Rape is a sexual crime of violence. Sometimes rape occurs without human penetration, as, for example, when an object is used.

Prostitution is not a crime of violence. Legalizing prostitution would have very little effect on rape. It would, however, have a very positive effect on the allocation of scarce criminal justice resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: HELL a.k.a Columbus, GA
239 posts, read 767,543 times
Reputation: 91
I am failing to see the logic in this argument. Prostitution is illegal and rape is illegal. Chances are a man who is willing to break the law and rape a woman certainly has no qualms about paying a woman for sex..whether or not it's illegal. The act of rape has nothing to do with sex or the legality of prositution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: HELL a.k.a Columbus, GA
239 posts, read 767,543 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
What I'm not convinced about is whether it would have an effect on date rapes and in instances where the victim already knows the rapist.
How are these situations any different from other rapes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I believe that a lot of sane men probably wouldn't bother dating if they could get what they wanted from a prostitute instead. A lot of men don't want relationships, but play the dating game in hopes of getting physical. I think a lot of those men really want to have sex with the women they date, and for some reason, they convince themselves that the women want it as much as they do.
I disagree. For men like this, it's all fun and games. There is no conquering a prositute. You give her money, she gives it up. What's the fun in that? There is no glory or sense of self-satisfaction in having sex with a prostitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I had a friend who was raped this way after she told him 'no' several times, but he kept telling her that it would feel really good and did it anyway.
Rapists have different modes of operation. It doesn't matter if she knew him, he is still a predator. A rapist is a rapist is a rapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I wonder if maybe society would feel different about prostitution if we didn't have the mindset that casual sex is dirty? I'm not a fan, but it seems to be what some people want. Maybe then, people wouldn't look down on prostitutes so much, they wouldn't be abused, and therefore, wouldn't have to numb themselves with drugs?
So prostitution should be legal to make it easier for people to have casual sex? People do not look down on prostitutes because prositution is illegal and they were abused long before the pimp and the drugs came along. Yet another argument that makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Reputation: 4893
Rape is not about sex. It is about power.

Legalization of Prostitution would not, IMO, do anything to reduce the number of rapes in this country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Reputation: 17978
Even prostitutes get asulted by many of these freako's . Watch any program about prostituion and listen to their stiories of the freaks out there. Watch the programs on force prostitution to see in mnay countries where its not illeagl how they still use threat and force. That is because its about control with these freaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Reputation: 47455
rape has nothing to do with need for sex. nothing.
it is an act of violence designed to hurt and humiliate other people male or female.
legality of prostitution & accessibility would probably make it more tempting to hire a prostitute to abuse and mistreat her, but it would not improve this violent type of criminal nor change his character or behavior.
if this is a post by a rapist or being read by a rapist and they do gravitate to these threads,
somebody is going to be getting really angry right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top