Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,070,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Maybe they should legalise rape. Then rape would never happen again as its only done because its an illegal thrill.

Think of the logic of above statement.
No, because many of rapists also get off by the woman being in fear and terror for her life-this has nothing to do with it being legal or not.

Craig, I hope you're seriously not advocating legalizing rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thank you for adding the 3,827th version of "it's about control" shibboleth to the thread. It adds a lot to the discussion.

Yes, you've said basically the same thing before in this very thread.
yes been said b4 in the home, church community judicial system, penal system educational system, but people still dont hear do they, otherwise they would not post such an OP. it does not have to be new to be true. the problem with OP's like this is they attract rapists who love to post on them.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-28-2009 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes been said b4 in the home, church community judicial system, penal system educational system, but people still dont hear do they, otherwise they would not post such an OP. it does not have to be new to be true. the problem with OP's like this is they attract rapists who love to post on them.
Obviously people have heard, as based on the fact that it is glibly repeated over and over and over and over and over again, over 25 times in this thread alone. In fact it has been heard, recited and repeated so often that it causes responses like yours above, where you reflexively dismiss the premise of the original post as preposterous. But is it?

I doubt the danger is that people "don't hear" what you're saying. If anything, the danger is that it has become unquestioningly accepted at the total exclusion of exploring any other explanation or motivation, which then distorts the policy discussion of what to do about it.

Last edited by Drover; 06-28-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 04:45 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,604,271 times
Legalizing prostitution, or drugs for that matter, will only create more crime and problems.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,541,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Legalizing prostitution, or drugs for that matter, will only create more crime and problems.
On the contrary, it would reduce crime.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,604,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
On the contrary, it would reduce crime.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
People stoned out of their minds would increase greatly; they can't work, they need money no matter how cheap drugs are; they will steal. Getting hard drugs to kids will be as easy as cigarettes.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,541,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
People stoned out of their minds would increase greatly; they can't work, they need money no matter how cheap drugs are; they will steal. Getting hard drugs to kids will be as easy as cigarettes.
People usually select a drug they want for pleasure, entertainment, etc.

Sure some will switch to some of other drugs once they become legal but you paint a doomsday picture.

Has the "war on drugs" stopped people from using them? No. It is no different than prohibition.

Why not prohibit alcohol since its use has lead to so much family abuse, fights, killings on the road and on altercations, liver diseases, babies with all kinds of problems when they are born, etc?

When alcohol was legalized again, people were in less danger from it because it became a controlled substance. Do people go to the pharmacy and buy 100% pure alcohol and drink it? It is pretty much safe to say no because people know that they will die and it is made for medical purposes. Most people go to a licuor store and buy it because it is produced for safe consumption. Now, you decide to abuse it, it is another story. You can die of drinking to much water too.

Drugs that are illegal now are a safety problem because those that want to use it may buy something that was produces under unhealthy and unsafe conditions. Many of the deaths would be avoided if drugs were produced under controlled environment as alcohol is.

As far as hard drugs to kids the same. Alcohol is prohibited to minors. Some adults do buy it for them. The same can happen if other drugs become illegal. It is happening now. Because they are illegal we do not have kids using it?

People would be able to buy it cheaper so many would not resort to stealing, prostitution, killing to obtain it.

Many jails have people in for smoking pot and nothing else. Results? Somebody may have lost a support income because somebody smoke a joint. Besides that, that individual in many case was a hard working parent and a hard working individual.

Marijuana has medicinal purposes but has been banned even for that.

Marijuana was even required to be grown in early American for the numerous uses it could provide besides pleasure and entertainment. Its use has been widely use all over the world. The Mona Lisa was painted on canvas made out of marijuana.

Some of the drugs were baned due to religious groups in that believed God had something against pleasure and entertainment of some types. Some of them were the same one that pushed for the amendment to the Constitution against alchohol.

In the early 20th century marijuana was banned with the excuse that it was harmful but the ulterior motive was to convict Mexicans and a reason to deport them back to Mexico.

In California the Chinese prefered drug was opium if I recall correctly. What to do to keep the chineese under control? Ban their prefered entertainment drug.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,644,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't even know if this is an appropriate topic, but I'm curious. I've always been strongly opposed to legal prostitution because men who pay for sex are treating women like objects. I hate that. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family members to get involved in it. And I definitely wouldn't associate with a guy that was into it (if I was aware of the fact that he was into it).

Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.
No it wouldn't, rape is not about sex, it is about power and control.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:19 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,806,587 times
I don't think it will lower rape as rape is still present even in places where prostitution is legal or even in places where prostitution is "illegal" but not really enforced... I think rape can be about power and control but I think it can also be from extreme infatuation... Personally, I think people are different and there could be a lot of different reasons for rape... availability for sex via cash is probably very low on that list...

Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM

751 posts, read 2,477,226 times
I did not read all the other posts, so I don't know if someone else posted this. Legalizing prostitution would not help. Rape is about power not sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates