U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 04:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,969,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't even know if this is an appropriate topic, but I'm curious. I've always been strongly opposed to legal prostitution because men who pay for sex are treating women like objects. I hate that. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family members to get involved in it. And I definitely wouldn't associate with a guy that was into it (if I was aware of the fact that he was into it).

Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.
You are completely missing what is going on in the brain. Just think of it this way, put yourself in that position for just a moment...could you really get off if there is a screaming, crying woman struggling to free herself lying under you? Most people would say no.

The thrill for the rapist has little connection with sex. They get a rush and get off on the hunt, preying a victim, thinking of just how they will rape them and if the victim decided to go along with it or not respond at all, they would ge tmore violent to get that reaction. They enjoy beign able to get away with it as long as possible. It is that they are looking for. Unless that is you are talking about a child rapist and their motives a little different.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,883,953 times
With Prostitution, the Prostitute holds all the cards. It is Her call. She has control of the situation, and uses the John for her needs. Not the other way around, as is often stated. The John is the sucker, and the one being exploited. She sets the price, not him. so it is Her transaction.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,918,974 times
Seems many women don't say they were exploited when they are rolling the money in.

After they get old and the money/demand dries up, then they complain about being exploited.

Then is when they make the tour of the tv talk shows.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,883,953 times
the transference of guilt and responsibility, are common among folks with a guilty conscious.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 PM

12,251 posts, read 7,359,099 times
No, it wouldn't. Rape is about power and control, not sex.

There are also many cases of prostitutes getting raped.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,882,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No, it wouldn't. Rape is about power and control, not sex.
Well, now there's a new angle on the question...

Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,340,566 times
Default Let's draw

the line here. Prostitution would never prevent rape, because prostitution is consensual sex. AND I think it should be legalize.

Rape is an issue of CONTROL and VIOLENCE, and the need for the perpetrator to dehumanize and intimidate the victim.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,882,510 times
No let's not draw the line, because the assumption that legalizing prostitution would not prevent rape (or at least reduce the incidence of rape) is not exactly an established fact. It's still an open question, and perhaps one worth asking.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:20 AM

216 posts, read 292,236 times
Haven't read all the posts yet but the answer is NO places they are giving it away free that don't stop it either .

Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 AM

316 posts, read 932,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No let's not draw the line, because the assumption that legalizing prostitution would not prevent rape (or at least reduce the incidence of rape) is not exactly an established fact. It's still an open question, and perhaps one worth asking.
Actually if you look at the rape statisics world wide you'll find some interesting numbers - to point -

US is rather high over 20,000 per year... highest

Countries with legal prostitution such as Germany the rate is considerably lower

Sweden, extremely low

In the last two examples there is one other main difference - the public thinks different than americans. They are for the most part less 'anal', less judgemental, etc. Even England is lower than America, again they are WAY more liberal about sex than we are.

IMO this country is so retentive it's constipated... perhaps an attitude change. I find no reason why these adult industries can't exit legally, actually it gives more taxes to the government.

Last part - Rape - again not only way different than prostitution, but this is why there is BDSM, fetish play etc (another reason to justify prostitution unless you actually think your wife will do this ) - part of those acts is to 'play rape'.

Signed

Get a clue America - grow up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates