U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 AM

3,469 posts, read 6,934,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
She's not selling herself any more than an auto mechanic is selling himself when he fixes a car for money. What they're selling is a service. So why is a man objectifying a woman any more than he objectifies his mechanic? Or does every service transaction necessarily involve the objectification of the person performing the service? And I ask again, why does that objectification only go one way? Is it not objectification to view men as ATMs that dispense money?
Because sex is waaaaaay more intimate & vulnerable than fixing a car.
Prostitution can result in pregnancy, disease, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and even death. What other job carries those risks?

Prostitutes do not come from happy backgrounds. They are not well-adjusted people. I really doubt prostitutes think, "hm, should I take the job as a secretary or be a hooker?". It's out of desperation to survive or get drugs/alcohol. Victims seek out the role of victim over & over again because they are not healthy & it's what they know. Allowing prostitution allows these people to continue to be in the victim role.

It isn't a "service transaction" we're talking about either. What a cold and twisted view of sexual relationships between people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 AM

42 posts, read 763,732 times
Some men are just purely evil and they like to force their way in just for the fun of it. So legalization of prostitution will not prevent it at all! Raping women has become a part of the American cultures.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:01 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,703,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortune-tellers View Post
Some men are just purely evil and they like to force their way in just for the fun of it. So legalization of prostitution will not prevent it at all! Raping women has become a part of the American cultures.
I think, unfortunately, raping is a part of human culture.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times
NationMaster - Rapes (per capita) (most recent) by country

Old 04-04-2009, 01:06 AM

Yes, and this isn't even taking into account prison rapes

Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 AM

In South Africa, they now have "Correctional Rapes" to "fix" lesbians.

]http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/12/eudy-simelane-corrective-rape-south-africa

Talk about some sick sh*t.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:21 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Prostitution can result in pregnancy, disease, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and even death. What other job carries those risks?

Prostitutes do not come from happy backgrounds. They are not well-adjusted people. I really doubt prostitutes think, "hm, should I take the job as a secretary or be a hooker?". It's out of desperation to survive or get drugs/alcohol. Victims seek out the role of victim over & over again because they are not healthy & it's what they know. Allowing prostitution allows these people to continue to be in the victim role.

It isn't a "service transaction" we're talking about either. What a cold and twisted view of sexual relationships between people.
Yes it is a service transaction we're talking about, whether you care to admit it or not. Not every sexual encounter is warm and fuzzy, or even worthy of being called a "relationship." Prostitution is a cold and twisted world, so go ahead and chastise me for having such a "cold and tisted view of sexual relationships between people," because the reduction of the sexual experience to a cold and twisted business transaction is precisely why so many of us find prostitution so revolting. And yes it's a service transaction, irrespective of whether the prostitute comes from a "happy" background or not: Man gets gratification, woman (or sometimes man) gets money. Both parties are exploiting each other's basic human needs to fulfill their own in a business transaction. So I don't want to hear about how it's only women who are being objectified in the process, because it's not.

Last edited by Drover; 04-04-2009 at 01:32 AM..

Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times
Well it's only reported rapes also, so if it runs the same in other parts of the world as it does here, where I think only one in 4 goes reported (?), then the figures are much higher than that. Still I thought it was interesting (and rather telling) that Australia ranked so highly and we do have legalized prostitution here.

I have to wonder where the stats are pulled from though and clearly it's old data that isn't including figures from Amnesty regarding rape as a weapon in war.

I'd be very surprised if one (legalized prostitution) had much, if any, affect on the other (rape statistics).

Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes it is a service transaction we're talking about, whether you care to admit it or not. Not every sexual encounter is warm and fuzzy, or even worthy of being called a "relationship." Prostitution is a cold and twisted world, so go ahead and chastise me for having such a "cold and tisted view of sexual relationships between people," because the reduction of the sexual experience to a cold and twisted business transaction is precisely why so many of us find prostitution so revolting. And yes it's a service transaction, irrespective of whether the prostitute comes from a "happy" background or not: Man gets gratification, woman (or sometimes man) gets money. Both parties are exploiting each other's basic human needs to fulfill their own in a business transaction. So I don't want to hear about how it's only women who are being objectified in the process, because it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post

You guys are realize that you're coming to the same conclusion but for different reasons, right?

orangeapple doesn't like prostitution because s/he thinks it keeps the prostitutes in a victimized position and Drover because s/he thinks it's a perversion of sex.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 AM

6,881 posts, read 7,080,592 times
Rape isn't about sex - it's about power and control over the person. It's about rage and the need to demean the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates