Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Rape and prostitution are two different issues. Prostitution is about objectifying women, rape is about degrading women and about power.

Ummm not quite but close. Rape is not a crime only against women . many men get raped and if you think female rape is unreported then imagine male rape.

Prostitution is about sex without any hassles

rape is about power, control, dominance regardless of the sex being attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Rape and prostitution are two different issues. Prostitution is about objectifying women, rape is about degrading women and about power.

prostitution and rape are in fact 2 different issues. prostitution can be between a aman and a woman and go both ways which ever sex is the prostitutute.

rape is about power, control, and has nothing to do with sex except for the act, and the victim can be both female or male. rape is not sex specific to only women.

this coming from a survivor of a rape, and I am a male.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't even know if this is an appropriate topic, but I'm curious. I've always been strongly opposed to legal prostitution because men who pay for sex are treating women like objects. I hate that. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family members to get involved in it. And I definitely wouldn't associate with a guy that was into it (if I was aware of the fact that he was into it).

Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.

To the topic starter that has some sort of problem with men buying prostitutes and treating women like objects. I’d like to share some non-prostitute stories of me treating women like objects, for free!!!

For ten years, I was a club DJ in my state’s capitol. The reason I bring this up is to give you some idea of my exposure to women. The club saw 3,000 people each week paying the door’s cover charge. This discounts a lot of people that got in for free. Half of those patrons were women.

I can’t even begin to guess how many women I’ve been with, but it’s well into the middle hundreds. Yes, hundreds. Despite being 6’3” and sculpted in my 20s and 30s from lifting weights, I suffered greatly from low self-esteem. To try and compensate for this, I indulged in sex. This meant I was with different women each night, and sometimes multiple women at the same time. When I was in my middle thirties, hammering the underage girls on Sunday night was also a big past time. Yes, I carded them to make sure that they were 18. My point? Hum, I treated women like objects.

Having been with so many different women, I’ve learned one thing, they vary greatly. The prudish women that despise my past will never understand the fact that there are quite a few women out there that aren’t prostitutes and have questionable morals according to our repressive society. I’ve known women that will let 10 men have their way with her. They seemed to do this every weekend. We had a rather large staff of bouncers, and I’ve seen some pretty crazy sex things go on in my club after hours. Despite my low moral standards, there are women that even I don’t understand. About one out of every ten women I’ve been with has a rape fantasy. Now I’m not saying that they want to be raped. I’m just saying that they had rape fantasies, and I was supposed to act like I was a rapist and brutally take them.

In my early 40s, I went to college for the first time in my life. 18 – 25 year old women surrounded me. I was shocked to find out just how many have old man fantasies. It’s mind-boggling. I rarely bothered with them as I figured out the low self-esteem issue and I guess getting older just took it out of me. My point is that they were there. How many? What percentage? I don’t know. I do know that during each semester, at least five or ten young girls approached me.

Mjohnson4381: I’d suggest to you that you try to refrain from judging people that are not overtly out to hurt others. If people want to engage in consensual activities that you don’t agree with, that’s your right. However, looking down on them and hoping that their activities remain illegal goes against everything that The Constitution stands for. Moreover, you’re insuring that prostitution remains seedy, and you’re completely discounting all the sexual activities that go on without the exchange of money. Additionally, it’s not just men that treat women like sexual objects. When I was younger, I had plenty of women old enough to be my mother come on to me and talk to me like a drunken sailor. Women do it to.

Rape and prostitution:
Rape is not a crime of lust. It’s a crime of control. For one reason or another, the rapist feels inadequate, like women don’t want them, or something along those lines. I really don’t know. I’m not a rapist. It’s what I was taught along the way. Hence, legal prostitution will do nothing to curb rape. There are many countries around the globe that have legal prostitution. In those countries, rape still occurs.

I’m glad I’m 46. I guess my age has finally taken my interest in women away from me. Now I just wish women between 40 and 55 would leave me alone! For once in my life, things are blissful!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
My answer to the question "would legalizing prostitution prevent rape?.......NO!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:44 AM

132 posts, read 304,453 times
Quote:
I don't even know if this is an appropriate topic, but I'm curious. I've always been strongly opposed to legal prostitution because men who pay for sex are treating women like objects. I hate that. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family members to get involved in it. And I definitely wouldn't associate with a guy that was into it (if I was aware of the fact that he was into it).

Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.
Interestingly my hubs and I were discussing this very topicthe other day. He feels it would, but Idon't think so. Here's why. Rape is a violent crime that uses sex as a weapon of choice. The rapist is not raping because he doesn't have access to sex. Some of the most violent rapists had girlfriends! So they don't need to visit prostitutes or pay for sex. Part of the "enjoyment" of raping is the hunt, the domination the humiliation of the woman. Of course, the rapists who dogo after prostitutes want to kill them afterwards. All in all, I think we're talking about two completely different type of men here. Most of the guys who go to prostitutes are lonely and horny, and not interested in the complete sexual degradation domination and/or obliteration of a female. So, no. I don't think legal prostitution would necessarily have any impact on rape. What might is a higher level of societal respect for women.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Quote:

No, because rape isn't about sex. It's about power over another...

Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM

577 posts, read 435,538 times
Common misconceptions about rape

[quote][Fact Studies show that most rapes are premeditated i.e. they are either wholly or partially planned in advance. All rapes committed by more than one assailant are always planned. Men can quite easily control their urges to have sex - they do not need to rape a woman to satisfy them. Rape is an act of violence - not sexual gratification. Men who rape or sexually assault does so to dominate, violate and control./QUOTE]

Last edited by Marka; 12-17-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Moderator cut: personal remarks... a website that repeats the same mantra with no authoritative basis that has been repeated so frequently it has literally become part of the popular culture... Moderator cut: personal remarks
http://www.independent.org/pdf/worki...ostitution.pdf

Last edited by Marka; 12-17-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Popular culture, in regards to this topic is back by solid evidence, this imitation of a study that you've linked to is so flawed on so many levels it is hard to know where to start.

For one thing it treats "sex availability" solely to the presences or absence of legal prostitution, the "working paper" completely ignores issues of sexual mores of the countries in question.

Where is the supporting data on the cost of illegal prostitution?

Where does the "sex per month" data come from and why isn't it defined?

The homicide rates used are wildly off the mark. The homicide rate for the Netherlands and Sweden have been inflated 10 fold.

I also question the use of homicide rates as opposed to violent crime rates which would be more indicative of the prevalence of violence in a given society.

And last but least, for god's sake, the so-called working paper cites a third rate discussion form as it's source.

As so-called working papers, this wouldn't pass muster in a 12th grade statistics or social science class, much less worthy of any serious discussion.

By the way, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Last edited by Marka; 12-17-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 12:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Popular culture, in regards to this topic is back by solid evidence, this imitation of a study that you've linked to is so flawed on so many levels it is hard to know where to start.

For one thing it treats "sex availability" solely to the presences or absence of legal prostitution, the "working paper" completely ignores issues of sexual mores of the countries in question.

Where is the supporting data on the cost of illegal prostitution?

Where does the "sex per month" data come from and why isn't it defined?

The homicide rates used are wildly off the mark. The homicide rate for the Netherlands and Sweden have been inflated 10 fold.

I also question the use of homicide rates as opposed to violent crime rates which would be more indicative of the prevalence of violence in a given society.

And last but least, for god's sake, the so-called working paper cites a third rate discussion form as it's source.

As so-called working papers, this wouldn't pass muster in a 12th grade statistics or social science class, much less worthy of any serious discussion.

By the way, I don't have a dog in this fight.
Which "third-rate discussion form" are you referring to?

There's a certain logic in using homicide rates as a proxy for violent crime rates because the definition of "violent crime" can vary widely from country to country whereas there isn't a whole lot of variation in the definition of "homicide."

It's a working paper, not an exhaustive study of the subject. It even acknowledges its own limitations. I don't have a dog in this fight either; all I'm saying is that the question deserves more thought than a reflexive dismissal by way of constantly repeating a popular-culture platitude.

Last edited by Drover; 12-17-2013 at 01:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates