U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 PM

3,980 posts, read 2,966,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't even know if this is an appropriate topic, but I'm curious. I've always been strongly opposed to legal prostitution because men who pay for sex are treating women like objects. I hate that. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family members to get involved in it. And I definitely wouldn't associate with a guy that was into it (if I was aware of the fact that he was into it).

Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.
These rapists could already be hiring prostitutes to have consensual sex with them. Sure, prostitution is illegal, but so is rape, and since in prostitution both parties want to keep it secret from the law, it is a lot less likely to result in arrest, and if it did result in arrest the consequences would be much less severe. So if it were a rational decision and prostitution was a viable alternative one assumes they would already be using prostitutes rather than raping.

In summary, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:41 PM

421 posts, read 522,826 times
Yes

Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,719,746 times
I never bought thAt rape was about power, except for war rape.

Rape is about sex, like the guy who robs you for your iPhone just wants the phone. Now if he HAS to use force or power he will but that's only as a last resort

Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 AM

92 posts, read 73,829 times
I don't think legalizing prostitution would prevent rape maybe a very small amount of rape but not most rape. Especially considering most rape is from someone that is acquainted with someone else. But some people think even men who see prostitute's do it because they want power over women. I don't agree with it but some people do. Like who ever wrote the blog in this link.

If prostitution isnít about lonely, undersexed men, what is it about? (Or, Justin Bieber doesnít need to pay for sex) | Feminist Current

Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 4,287,502 times
Some of the rapes near me have been of elderly women and many others have been where the woman is beaten as well as raped. Rape is not about sex as much as it is about hurting women. Legalizing prostitution would not stop or reduce rape.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM

11,796 posts, read 9,712,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Some of the rapes near me have been of elderly women and many others have been where the woman is beaten as well as raped. Rape is not about sex as much as it is about hurting women. Legalizing prostitution would not stop or reduce rape.
I agree; another case in point is that NFL player who was just arrested for being a serial rapist. He couldn't have afforded to pay expensive prostitutes if he desired? Or gotten free sex from women who'd be enamored by his money or celebrity status?

Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 PM

8,382 posts, read 5,027,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Prostitution is about objectifying women...
Prostitution is about getting low cost (as opposed to a relationship) sex.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,748,686 times
Prostitution used to be legal in the United States. In the early days, brothels could be found in nearly every major city. When the West was settled, the prostitutes followed. Red light districts were common in the settlements. Often the brothel was above the saloon which where the mayor, sheriff and everybody else in town met to have a drink and socialize. Prostitution was a normal and accepted part of life back then. People didn't lose their minds over it.

People only started to lose their minds when they realized Black men (pimps) were making a lot of money from this vice ... and weren't paying any taxes ... that's when prostitution became a "bad" thing.

Prostitution can be legalized in America, but it will only happen when it can be done in a way to cut out the street pimps. Just like you need to have a store to legally sell weed in Colorado and Washington - hurting the street dealers - they'd have to find a way to price the street pimps out of the market while allowing the industry to be regulated and taxed.

No smart pimps are selling ***** on the streets these days anyway. If you're even remotely intelligent, there are so many legal ways to make money doing practically the same thing. But, that's another conversation for another day ....

Old 03-01-2014, 12:42 AM

5,708 posts, read 4,282,375 times
@The OP: Probably not, or at least, not by much.

If someone wants to get laid, there are already things such as dating websites for this which probably make it pretty easy to successfully accomplish this.

AFAIK, in most cases, rape is about power, not about sex.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:48 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't even know if this is an appropriate topic, but I'm curious. I've always been strongly opposed to legal prostitution because men who pay for sex are treating women like objects. I hate that. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family members to get involved in it. And I definitely wouldn't associate with a guy that was into it (if I was aware of the fact that he was into it).

Anyway, I also have a friend who does probation/parole work. Long story short, there are apparently a lot more rapists out there then I would have originally guessed. Do you think if these rapists could pay someone to have consensual sex with them, this could be prevented? Or would it just make everything worse? I've casually looked around on the internet and it seems like there's a lot of opinions out there for both sides.

Rape is not a sexual crime and it cannot be "fixed" with legal prostitution.
There are plenty of women available for free consentual sex but sex has nothing to do with rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates