Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,186,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In Las Vegas, where prostitution is legal, there are 53 rapes pere year per 100K population. In the suburbs of Henderson and North Las Vegas, there are 30.
Prostitution may be commonplace in Vegas, but it's not legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times
Default Would legalizing prostitution prevent rape?

Thats a easy one, NO, NO, NO, rape is about power, a rapist is not looking foe sex they are wanting to overpower someone and put their will upon them, rapists are low life scum who need to be hanged by the neck. JMO

Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
It's true, prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas, but legal prostitution is easily accessible to Las Vegas residents a short drive away. Prostitution is also legal in Rhode Island. The Providence rape rate was consistently above 50 in previous years, but dropped below 30 in '06 and '07.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
In Las Vegas, where prostitution is legal, there are 53 rapes pere year per 100K population. In the suburbs of Henderson and North Las Vegas, there are 30.
Prostitution is not legal anywhere in Clark County. I'd guess LV's extreme tourist volume plays a role in its higher rate of incidence.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:50 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,091,372 times
Default Would legalizing prostitution prevent rape?

No. Most rapes are NOT about the attacker needing some "loving" or sexual satisfaction. It's more a crime of rage and being able to exert control over a human being.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Most rapes are NOT about the attacker needing some "loving" or sexual satisfaction. It's more a crime of rage and being able to exert control over a human being.
That may not be all that true anymore. Statistically, the number of rapes have been expanded to include all kinds of things, including statuatory rape and date rape, which ARE about sex. Those "rapists" are just fairly ordinary guys with fairly ordinary sex drive that use poor judgment in the heat of the moment, and have often been led on.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:42 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,326,744 times
Quote:
That may not be all that true anymore. Statistically, the number of rapes have been expanded to include all kinds of things, including statuatory rape and date rape, which ARE about sex. Those "rapists" are just fairly ordinary guys with fairly ordinary sex drive that use poor judgment in the heat of the moment, and have often been led on.
Wow. So are you saying "ordinary guys" in dating situations have a RIGHT to rape a woman if they thought they would be getting sex at some point during the date?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,880,232 times
Quote:
With stats running at around 70% of victims knowing their attacker I'd suggest that it's not about "poor judgement" in the "heat of the moment" or about being "led on". I'd say it's more to do with a lot of men thinking it's their right to impose their sexual will on a woman and it goes way beyond ordinary guys with fairly ordinary sex drives.
Not only does your post attempt to legitimize and justify the actions of rapists but it also blames the victim AND quite apart from that it's insulting to a vast majority of men that are able to date successfully without resorting to a criminal act.

I don't care what she was wearing, I don't care who paid for dinner, I don't care that she accepted the date, hell I don't even care if she was flirting or kissed him, if she said NO he backs off. Good men know that, rapists will just use it as an excuse.

AND the same applies to prostitutes. There is what is agreed on as the transaction and if a punter deviates from that and in doing so ignores the providers right to say NO then they're not adhering to the agreement AND they're a rapist, plain and simple.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Wow. So are you saying "ordinary guys" in dating situations have a RIGHT to rape a woman if they thought they would be getting sex at some point during the date?
You have a great imagination. Somebody explain what I said. I tried, but I can't get through.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:10 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,851,907 times
Quote:
You have a great imagination. Somebody explain what I said. I tried, but I can't get through.
I don't think I could explain what you think you were trying to say, as I took what you said the same way moonshadow and Violett did. Poor judgement is no excuse, just like ignorance is no excuse.

The only time I would say that a man would not be guilty of a sexual crime is if the woman cried rape after she had consented to the sexual act. Now I have known that to happen. In a case like that I think the woman should be charged with some sort of crime.

People who file a false report of rape, or people who blame the victim of rape should all be tarred and feathered. Because they make it harder to convict the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates