Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
While so many people believe the TV pity-drama of prostitutes as poor ignorant abused and drugged victims, a LOT of them are not. You don't hear about them because 1) they don't get arrested/caught, and 2) no one wants to believe that "decent, educated" women actually sell sex to men.

My DH has a common sense attitude - he says that all women are prostitutes to some degree - they trade sex for a comfortable home, children, and a lifestyle. I have witnessed some women that have sex like rabbits with their intended - and once the ring is on the finger, they refuse to indulge; in effect, offering the promise of sex for the stability they require. Any wonder some men have the attitude about women that they do?
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Appearing "decent" and being "educated" DO NOT equate to being emotionally healthy. If you know a prostitute who is all these things, then you don't really "know" them. Once you scratch beneath their surface, you will find a laundry list of psychopathology. Having known people who run support groups and do individual therapy with prostitutes (I, myself, am a licensed therapist), I can assure you that no emotionally healthy person sells there body for sex.

Secondly, your DH is dead wrong. Just because a woman marries a man, it doesn't mean he's entitled to sex whenever he wants it. Most couples stop having sex as frequently after being together for four years, regardless of whether they are married. Saying women are "obligated" to have sex with their husband is just a way to guilt trip them, to make the woman feel guilty so that she'll be more "willing" to have sex, even if she doesn't really want to.

As a woman, I am appalled that you think other women are so manipulative as to use sex as a leverage to get married. First, that doesn't make any sense. If the man wants sex, and he's getting it, he has no reason to get married unless he wants to. He's not being "manipulated" into it. If you think that, you must think men are really dumb, they would have to be to make that much of a commitment just to get the same ole, same ole. No, sorry, that's completely illogical.

Secondly, if the sex has died out in the marriage, BOTH partners need to seriously address the problem and find out why there's been an emotional disconnect. People who really love each other don't just stop having sex unless some deep resentment has built up. It's not the woman's fault that she won't put out. That's just ridiculous.

Last edited by Violett; 05-12-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Having sex does not equate to prostitution.
Prostitution is conducting a business transaction: sex for money.
The only way marriage and prostitution are related is that there is sex in both. Other than that, they are completely different.
Equating marriage and prostitution is kind of like equating the moon and the stars. Both are in the sky--but they are not identical.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
legalizing prostitution wouldnt change the rape stats that much because if someone is heartless enough to rape someone in the first place then why would he bother paying for a prostitute when he could just rape an even hotter girl for free.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
No. Rape is about power and control. Men who rape get off on hurting the woman and the force and fear of the act.

Legalizing prostitution would have no bearing IMO. I'm sure women in places where it is legal (parts of Nevada, Amsterdam for example) still get raped.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
I am sure this has been answered but not wanting to read the entire thread here goes.

Rape has nothing to do with mans sexual urges and has a man it's insulting to hear someone insinuate "her dress was so short he couldn't control himself". That someone could be so ignorant so as to even think such a thing is embarrassing.

Rape is all about the infliction of pain, degradation and total domination of another human being.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
Rape is an act of violence and control, not sex. Legalizing prostitution might give you an ability to control STD’s, but I don’t think it will help with rape.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
From the research and reading I've done, rape is about control/domination. Being able to utilize a prostitute for consensual sex would not address this same need for control and domination.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
rape has nothing to do with normal sexual relations at all. it is an act of violance, a misuse of a body function that is used to violate and harm other human beings.
rapists enjoy horrifying humiliating and terrifying other human beings.
they should be promptly executed.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
From the research and reading I've done, rape is about control/domination. Being able to utilize a prostitute for consensual sex would not address this same need for control and domination.
Thank you for adding the 3,827th version of "it's about control" shibboleth to the thread. It adds a lot to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
rape has nothing to do with normal sexual relations at all. it is an act of violance, a misuse of a body function that is used to violate and harm other human beings.
rapists enjoy horrifying humiliating and terrifying other human beings.
they should be promptly executed.
Yes, you've said basically the same thing before in this very thread.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 AM

416 posts, read 407,729 times
Maybe they should legalise rape. Then rape would never happen again as its only done because its an illegal thrill.

Think of the logic of above statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates