U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM

11,991 posts, read 5,841,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What prevents you from typing ob@ma
hay!!! i don't think you should mention the obamanator

well i think the word pelosi is officially a curse word now.. if you call someone a pelosi..!!!>> thats about as low as one can go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 6,976,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would and have handled such by posting one really good and all inclusive post at a time when the mod would be least likely to see it until several others had and then told them to shove it! Our freedoms are disappearing quickly and I don't want to support a board that is helping to erode them.
Wow, old thead. Haven't been there in a long while. I left a short comment about how a friend said hi. The friend was a mod who'd quit in disgust and got banned. Was banned the next day. I figure it was a nice toche'.

I have been on one commercial network board which was run so poorly that "favorites" were taken by the mods and instead of just saying NO personal attacks or illusions to them they carefully picked and chose who to ban or delete all their past posts, then unban. These are examples of why I'm picky about where I hang out.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,101,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
hay!!! i don't think you should mention the obamanator

well i think the word pelosi is officially a curse word now.. if you call someone a pelosi..!!!>> thats about as low as one can go
Not quite, you can always have "Palin".

Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM

47 posts, read 8,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I have left tow forums because of censorship and heavy handed mods that showed favortism. the first forum's mods ganged up on someone the didn't like, anyone who asked why, questions the fairness their posts were deleted, if they were reposted they were banned. many ip's were also banned. at the second forum many posts that the mods did not agree with were deleted. censorship by deletion. these posts were nothing racial or hateful just opposite view of the mod. people were followed around and deleted. I would not support a place where I am not allowed to post what I thought. to support actions like that just to be a part of an on line community is nuts, why bother?
Well said, brother. In 2005, I donated a lot of money to help start a website/message board about entrepreneurship. The website included a politics section. I recently started a thread asking why certain states are "red" or "blue". It mysteriously got deleted overnight. I reposted it, because I thought the other people on the site were my friends, and a post of mine once got deleted by mistake. They deleted it again. I was convinced that a robot had deleted it. So I reposted it again. Next time I tried to go to the site again, I was banned, even from reading it. I am thinking about suing for wrongful termination. I was an EMPLOYEE and FOUNDER of that website. If those scum who I used to call friends invoke the "terms and conditions" I signed before contributing, I will have to disagree. There were no rules against discussion of political parties. There was no racism or extremism in my sentiments either. Nothing the average Joe would find objectionable.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,042,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've left a forum once because basically it got over-run by nutjobs and the mods were unwilling to do anything about it.

You couldn't have a discussion about interest rates without the same 2-3 people showing up and posting about 9-11 or politics or some other odd theory.

Even around here the quality of various forums varies GREATLY....especially if you wander into some of the state forums.
On the whole, I would rather have moderation than not.

The only problem that I have with CD is that sometimes I create an infraction, like going off topic perhaps, and my post/s is/are deleted, but since I do not look at my own old posts I never know this until the mod gets fed up with me and lets me know it. I wish when they deleted or commented on our old posts we would get a message by email so we'd know it.

I have been on other boards that are very loosely run and I just left because a person has to wade through a lot of pointless snarky comments made by what appear to be grammar school drop outs.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 PM

21,944 posts, read 15,784,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Their point was to try to keep people from even talking about it. NO politics....
There is a lot of forums that ban political and religious discussion for the obvious reasons. Having said that it's bit impractical for many of them unless you're discussing knitting. Religious discussion can be avoided easier but political discussion revolves around so many topics it's hard to separate it from topic.

Banning the word Obama seems a bit drastic and simply banning all political discussion should be good enough.

FYI on p forums using phpBB software as long as the forum admin has allowed it the word censor can be turned on/off in your control panel.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 6,976,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is a lot of forums that ban political and religious discussion for the obvious reasons. Having said that it's bit impractical for many of them unless you're discussing knitting. Religious discussion can be avoided easier but political discussion revolves around so many topics it's hard to separate it from topic.

Banning the word Obama seems a bit drastic and simply banning all political discussion should be good enough.

FYI on p forums using phpBB software as long as the forum admin has allowed it the word censor can be turned on/off in your control panel.
This being an old thread, the origional board it was about had a section for politics. It was just that posts which disagreed with the management dissapeared. Anything with 'obama' in it was never seen again.

I can see special moderation in instances where name calling and personal attacks are easily provoked. That is the problem with those which have little moderation, along with twenty junk replies to every meaningful one. Thing is, if you allow discussion of politics, you have to clearly define policies. Personal attacks against another poster are not acceptable unless advertised as a no rules board. Just how far comments about non-posters can go is the responsibility of the moderators, but it can't be catch as catch can.

There is this difficult, and hard to find fine line between encouraging discussion by not making posters feel as if they express their feelings they might be banned and discouraging deliberate sniping by selective pruning. I like the way its handled on this board, where its not okay to do a personal attack, but minority or unpopular or strong opinions are okay and you take your chances. It's why I've stuck with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates