U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 7 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,695,799 times

Advertisements

This is about a real forum, one that apparently is losing a lot of members of late. I won't tell the name but it is a true story.

It was a successful, smallish but active message board on guns a friend of mine spent a lot of time on. They were taken over by multiple new owners who apparently were worried someone would say something which could imperil them legally so they made the word "obama" a banned word.

In this instance karma has been slapping back. Lots of people banished for uttering the near names, or speaking of politics and generally the place has seen discussion killed. I was checking it for my banished friend but have lost interest. Apparently the way to keep people from saying bad things about the president so you feel safe isn't banning his name.

So, seeing that discussion and ideas are rather free flowing on these forums, and while there are those that go overboard most seem to cope, what would you do if someone tried to stifle discussion in that manner?

I'm not thinking here, not going to happen but as a general idea. Yes forums are the property of the owners and they may do it, but it can bite back too. When do rules or mods actions just make you leave a forum? What will keep you from ever participating at all?

Will respond for myself in a different post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,467,677 times
By banning a word people aren't going to stop talking about it. What they should do, is replace the word with something else. Say they ban the word dog. It could be replaced by the word bark. Everybody would quickly learn that bark is a substitute word and use it as such.

The quickest way to squelch user participation on a forum, is for the mods to favor certain people and allow jabs, insults and overall bad behavior by them, and turn around and ban, restrict or generally come down on someone else simply for disagreeing with the primadonnas. It's a quick way out when a person gets so discouraged from being degraded, demeaned and insulted by these preferred groups just by disagreeing.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
You mean the Vice-President's name, **** Cheney?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 7 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,695,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
By banning a word people aren't going to stop talking about it. What they should do, is replace the word with something else. Say they ban the word dog. It could be replaced by the word bark. Everybody would quickly learn that bark is a substitute word and use it as such.

The quickest way to squelch user participation on a forum, is for the mods to favor certain people and allow jabs, insults and overall bad behavior by them, and turn around and ban, restrict or generally come down on someone else simply for disagreeing with the primadonnas. It's a quick way out when a person gets so discouraged from being degraded, demeaned and insulted by these preferred groups just by disagreeing.
Their point was to try to keep people from even talking about it. NO politics.... but in generally chatting and discussing thats hard to do. So people made up other words and thus got banned (by ip so anyone else in the house is banned too).

This is the sort of stuff that drives me away fast. Moderation is there for a reason. If you squash any kind of discussion why should anyone bother to post. If you let anything go then its obvious posting is an invitation to attack. There is a middle ground where if things get deleted there isn't just this empty hole and where if there is a comment and an attack part of it can dissapear,

Personally I thank the mods on this board for their very good job of managing a lot of very opinionated people where you can have your say and not be gutted by six people instantly. Hard to do and very well done!

The other thing that will drive away people fast is much time with no mods while people call for it then suddenly mass dissapearence of anything they don't like.

This is a form of discussion/social interaction that I've been involved in since the old days of bbs's (we had our own back in 1988) and love that they have become so many. I just wish the things learned back then about how to keep it interesting and open were more well understood now.

But I know that had we applied any word filters to subjects that we didn't want to be discussed we would have had an empty bbs really really fast.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 PM

There IS favoritism, that can't be denied. When one person receives a demerit point for 'inappropriate language', and many others can get away with 'inappropriate language', I'm thinking it isn't as across the board as it is arbitrary modification.

I'm not clear on how a forum can restrict a subject as you have described. Don't they know that people will find a way to communicate regardless? Seems like they'd be better off letting people get it off their chests than to alienate the tribe.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,877,279 times
I'm going to start a forum where you can say anything you want, no filters or mods...

Send start up donations to Houston3 at 555 Main St., USA..

;-)

Old 04-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm going to start a forum where you can say anything you want, no filters or mods...

;-)
The check is in the mail.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,134,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

;-)
it already exists, it's called www.flamewarriors.net

Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM

9,170 posts, read 16,529,270 times
Yeah, I can understand it, and I'd probably go along with the decision if it was a board that I really liked for technical information.

Discussions about politics and religion can get heated quickly. People who got along fine talking about the action mechanism on a Remington 700, can be calling each other names when they start discussing Obama's view on firearms or (gasp) abortion. So to keep the site friendly, you make a policy against any political discussions. I'm a member at an RV site that has that policy, in fact, but I doubt they ban the name "Obama". (I just wish it would've been banned from the general election ballot.)

If it was my site, and I decided I didn't want any politics discussed, I'd give public and private warnings about an infraction, then ban them for a week or month before kicking them out for life. I guess the owners of that site don't feel like taking any crap. (Is that a banned word?) But yeah, I hate those banned words when I'm writing, but it's better than reading foul language.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,692,098 times
What prevents you from typing ob@ma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or