Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Holy sh_t! Are you serious? There have been 60 posts so far and you're still referring to the first post. Unbelievable.
The first post is what your thread is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Where did I say a child has a choice? .
You did, but i'm not going to look for it. A second-grader has a choice to throw spitballs, or buckle down and learn to read and write. That choice reverberates through the rest of his life, and I think you implied that it his fault if he winds up in the gutter because of his poor choices. And I strongly suspect that you are one of those who begrudges social assistance for him and his wife and kids, because "he should have done better" when he had choices to make.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
The first post is what your thread is all about.

So if you make a statement and we then have an hour long discussion where you expand upon your original statement, attempting to clarify your original statement, I am supposed to ignore everything you said beyond the original statement and tell you your original statement is all that matters?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The only problem I see is that the choice is includes prison as one chopice of two ;like taxes.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You did, but i'm not going to look for it. A second-grader has a choice to throw spitballs, or buckle down and learn to read and write. That choice reverberates through the rest of his life, and I think you implied that it his fault if he winds up in the gutter because of his poor choices. And I strongly suspect that you are one of those who begrudges social assistance for him and his wife and kids, because "he should have done better" when he had choices to make.

No, no, no, I don't believe that at all. We can only make choices based on what we know, right? What the hell does a second-grader know? Not a whole lot. Adults have to guide them. Adults have to get into their brains that throwing spitballs isn't going to get you anywhere in life, but buckling down and learning to read and write will. It's what we all go through. That said, second graders still make decisions based on what they know.

But as we get older we hopefully become more and more intelligent so that we can make more and more of our own decisions. At some point we can no longer blame others for the choices we make.

No, again, I don't believe that at all about social assistance. Social assistance services a very good purpose. Are there people on it for all the wrong reasons? Of course. No system is perfect. But there are also plenty of people on it that had things happen to them "out of their own control", for which their best option was to seek assistance. I don't see that any differently than going to the doctor when you get sick.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:41 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
So if you make a statement and we then have an hour long discussion where you expand upon your original statement, attempting to clarify your original statement, I am supposed to ignore everything you said beyond the original statement and tell you your original statement is all that matters?
This makes absolutely no sense.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Quote:
Agree or no? If no, please provide a sound reason why so we can have an intelligent debate.

Personally, I believe everything we do is a choice, how we react to every situation is a choice, etc. I've yet to find evidence proving otherwise.

EDIT: I should clarify this by saying that no, as children we do not always have a choice. But as adults we do.
EDIT2: Since people are already taking this to a literal extreme, let me clarify that THIS POST IS ABOUT DECISION-MAKING, not whether or not you have the choice to make your heart beat or not. Holy ***** people.
That is true. Other than a mental or physical limitation, everything we are today is a result of the choices we have made.

So, if you don't like what you see, the fault is your own. That is a very hard fact to face especially in today's society that finds it necessary to be a victim rather than take responsibility for your own actions.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times
The question is about individual choice. It's not about how other people's choices affect individuals. So it's not about getting shot, or laid off, or desperation.

We get to choose our actions and reactions.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I rode in a roller coaster once. I chose to be scared.

I had fasting bloodwork done last week. Afterwards, I chose to eat.

This thread was begun at 1:15 AM. Within an hour, 8 people chose to get up out of bed and respond to it. Actually, 9 people chose to get up out of bed, but I did not respond, because I chose to have a leg cramp instead.
ACTUALLY I am one of the 8 that chose to answer within an hour of the thread beginning BUT I didn't get out of bed in order to do so.

So I'm guessing all is not what it seems.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,120 times
Being a christian I have to agree that we do have a choice, it says so in the Bible. I do not wish to hear those who mis-read or mis-interpret the Bible, but I am educated and have read the Bible and in plain text it states that choices were made and consequences were dealt with. If people feel the need to say otherwise, well then I will pray for them and go on, but I will stay true to the writings in the Bible, it is the Word of God. I think that is the difference, you have to have the faith that the Bible is the Word of God BEFORE you can speak on it's behalf, otherwise you are not a believer but a mere "undecided". God will wait for those, and I would like to see all mankind again in the everafter, but it is a choice, one that has to be made....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates