U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,707,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Moderator: Is this thread worthy of anyone's serious attention? I thought Great Debates had higher standards for intellectual discourse.
Well why don't you enlighten everyone with your worthy prose and set the bar higher. This as opposed to dropping a bomb and running lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,673,557 times
I recognize my limitations and haven't anything to contribute. The thread's posts and arguments appeared be all over the place in too many discrete and complex topics for my view of a tightly controlled debate. Debate discourse, in my experience, must stay focused on a "consumable" sized topic or you can spend huge amounts of discussion and not refine the issues on a particular topic. The postings to date could easily require half a dozen discrete threads. That was the motivation for my comment. My wording was ill chosen; my apologies for any offense, none was intended.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
I apologize for any part I might have played in drifting off topic. I often forget what the topic is, and I don't bother to look and see who made the recent post, so I sometimes inadvertently respond to the moronic meanderings of a troll. Responding to morons is one of my social weaknesses, but after all, some morons are not trolls, and this board exists in the rather thin hope that some of them are educable. I don't gang up on certain people and give others a pass (I set the really bad ones on ignore)---if you're wrong, you're wrong.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-20-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
I recognize my limitations and haven't anything to contribute. The thread's posts and arguments appeared be all over the place in too many discrete and complex topics for my view of a tightly controlled debate. Debate discourse, in my experience, must stay focused on a "consumable" sized topic or you can spend huge amounts of discussion and not refine the issues on a particular topic. The postings to date could easily require half a dozen discrete threads. That was the motivation for my comment. My wording was ill chosen; my apologies for any offense, none was intended.

Awwwww - a big virtual hug...

Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,193,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahv View Post
Djacques, thank you for expressing the right that the proud men and women of the United States Military have fought and died for.
Well, what a nice sentiment, if it stopped there.

Quote:
The last time I checked (and you can take this to the bank and read up on it in any history book) FREEDOM IS NOT FREE THE COST OF FREEDOM IS BLOOD.
Sounds like a quotation from Adolf Hitler. "Iron and Blood", that was his slogan, wasn't it?

Quote:
Were the rest of the world gulliable as well?
The rest of the world? Plenty of the rest of the world fought on the other side, and a fair number of countries remained neutral. I don't expect historical brilliance from a jingoist flag-waver, but you should at least know that much.

Quote:
Tell it to someone who hasn't served in the U.S. Navy for 8 years. The best 8 years of my d*** life that incorporated some of the best people I have ever met, some of the bravest, some of the most wise, some of the most caring and loving.
Well good for you. Why do you seem pissed off about it? Is it because deep down you know you were serving the random interests of worthless gangsters in Washington? If that thought hasn't occurred to you, perhaps you ought to start using your head for something besides a hat rack.

Quote:
Those men and women deserve mad respect and if you can't provide that, then go somewhere else.
Bugger right off. I was born here, and I don't have to kiss the posteriors of ignorant yokels in uniform for the privilege of staying. They would be greeting me at Wal-Mart or changing my oil if the government hadn't dressed them up and given them a bogus reason to murder foreigners.

Quote:
You have totally hit a nerve in me with the brainwashed ideas that you seem to have, but maybe that is the whole point.
Hit a nerve? I wish you'd have a stroke. One less redneck.

I'm not even going to respond to the rest of this, there are better things to do, like scratch my a$$.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM

You have a way with words DJacques... I'm mesmerized

Old 04-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
You have a way with words DJacques... I'm mesmerized
It isn't a secret way with words...it's just telling the truth. I'm an ok writer, sure. But that's not the point. Anyone who understands that people are just people--with their typical limitations and rationalizations--, and a country is just a country--with its typical propaganda--, can grok what I am saying. I mean, it's really not that hard.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Way to go, djacques. Now I know that I wasted entire 8-year periods of my life in which I did not meet a single good brave wise loving caring person, and all Id have needed to do is join the warrior class, and be an instrument in the killing of those good brave wise loving caring people.

Remember the famous line from the 60s: Join the Navy and see the world. Meet strange and interesting people and kill them.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It isn't a secret way with words...it's just telling the truth. I'm an ok writer, sure. But that's not the point. Anyone who understands that people are just people--with their typical limitations and rationalizations--, and a country is just a country--with its typical propaganda--, can grok what I am saying. I mean, it's really not that hard.
Typical propoganda yes but don't you think a country has to take a stand. I mean i'm not defending the actions of most nations and god knows the immorality and barbarism that goes on daily with so called 'advanced nations' but there are periods of time where there is a noble fight that is worth the fight.. Now, getting into it, perhaps as a citizenry, we in most of the developed world don't truly hold our governments accountable enough and live in blissful ignorance. I mean, American Idol is on.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Typical propoganda yes but don't you think a country has to take a stand. I mean i'm not defending the actions of most nations and god knows the immorality and barbarism that goes on daily with so called 'advanced nations' but there are periods of time where there is a noble fight that is worth the fight.
Maybe there is. But a real, honest consideration of all the facts ought to convince most people that whatever else it was, WW2 was not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates